BS in pharmaceutical science.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annette22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
You guys are the experts can you advice.I am done with all prereqs pretty much with the exception of cell and anatomy.The schools I am applying to do not even reqire these.So my school has a B.S in pharmaceutical science.Should pursue this since I am 2 years in to getting this degree while I wait to get in to the pharmd programm in 2007.Can I practice with the B.s.I just do not want to waste time doing Bio or chem as a major is it is not entirely pharmacy relate.What do you guys know about this.

Members don't see this ad.

annette22 said:
Hello all,
You guys are the experts can you advice.I am done with all prereqs pretty much with the exception of cell and anatomy.The schools I am applying to do not even reqire these.So my school has a B.S in pharmaceutical science.Should pursue this since I am 2 years in to getting this degree while I wait to get in to the pharmd programm in 2007.Can I practice with the B.s.I just do not want to waste time doing Bio or chem as a major is it is not entirely pharmacy relate.What do you guys know about this.

First off, you're not going to practice with the BS degree. You want to be a Pharmacist, you get that Pharm.D.

Secondly, do not underestimate the pharmaceutical science, biology, or chemistry degrees. The only difference between these degrees and a Pharm.D is that the Pharm.D gets hired in a hurry, and ends up in either a retail or clinical setting with a small select few going on for the Phd, JD, or MBA degrees. Ultimately its a job which pays the bills, with the Pharm.D getting paid alot more than the average BS level graduate.

Last, I guess it really depends on what you want to do. Some people do the Pharm.D after the 2 years of required classes, as they are hell bent on pharmacy, or maybe everything it has to offer.

Some food for thought, from the UPenn website:
http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/college/majors/index.html

Take a look at what chemistry, biology, and biochemistry students do.

annette22 said:
Hello all,

Please see the following link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=296890

I agree w/ rekesk on some of the points and to retierate the BS in pharmaceutical sciences is no longer a degree that can be obtained in order to practice pharmacy. A lot of your decision may depend on what you wish to do in pharmacy as comparing any BS degree to a PharmD (terminal degree) is apples and oranges just b/c the outcome is different. The BS in pharmaceutical sciences nowadays is a degree that schools often market to pre-med or those considering a PhD track. So the curriculum for the BS in pharmaceutical sciences may be fairly similar to bio or chem (more close to chem). Purdue has a program so it might be worth to look into the curriculum as it varies from one school to the next.

If you really want to practice pharmacy than the PharmD is the only option as the BS in pharmacy is no longer available in the US. So basically if you want to practice pharmacy than go w/ the PharmD as soon as you get in. If not then working on the BS in pharmaceutical sciences isn't a bad option as many current phamacy applicants often already have BS/BA degrees in various other fields.