BS is Finance...What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YmeHuuH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As you can read from the title, I received a BS in Finance from San Jose State University over a year ago and have been employed in a finance company for over a year. Seriously, it sucks and I want a career change. I decided I wanted to go into Dentistry. So far from what I can research, my best chance to is start fresh at another State college and major in Biology. My GPA was really low, like 2.5 low when I graduated. When I was at SJSU, I didn't take any of the pre-reqs that Dental schools wanted.

Basically, I'll be starting from scratch at another State college. Is this the way to go? Any opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

(This forum rocks btw and I'm glad I found it!)

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Dont worry about being a Finance major. I am too and I graduated last may and am applying this cycle.

One thing that I have come to realize is that there are a lot of post-bacc programs that you could look into and some of these are tied in with dental/med schools so u will get all the curriculum you need. Also, you dont need another bachelors thats probasbly a waste of time. Just start working through ur pre-reqs (post bacc is an option to get pre reqs done) and be sure to study hard. What you will learn in gen chem/orgo etc.... is exactly what ull be tested on in the DAT. So study to LEARN the material rather than solely for a grade youll appreciate it greatly when ur preping for the DAT.

Good luck!

I was in the exact same situation as you: finance major working as a financial analyst for a year (yes it sucked for me too) and then I decided on dentistry. I hadn't taken any of the pre recs so I went back and took the bios, chems and physics classes with labs my first two semesters back then the orgos over the summer (along with applying) and now I'm taking a couple higher level classes (biochem and microbio). I'm not getting a second degree. Just make sure you're motivated enough to do well in the classes. I have 5 interviews (one at Nova later today!) so you can do it for sure.