BS Psychology as Pre-med Course

Started by strawburies
Tags Tags
psychology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

strawburies

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a freshman student majoring in Psychology.

Out of all the common pre-med courses, I chose Psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist in the future. I am also more interested in this course compared to other pre-med courses. Compared to other pre-med courses, we will only experience training during our senior year.

Would I have a hard time entering med school? Am I at a disadvantage because of this?

+++ I really like Psychology so what can I do to fill up my disadvantages?
 
I majored in Psychology and have been accepted into med school. As long as you have passion and rationale for your majors Med schools don't care what you major in. Just make sure you still do well in all of your pre-med requirements
 
I have a psych degree and loved it. Very interesting stuff and I actually feel as if I have a better understanding of a diverse set of people, which has helped in my patient encounters, so far.

Do what you need to do and enjoy your studies!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Psych is fine. I majored in psych and was accepted. No one cares what you major in at all. What matters is GPA, MCAT, EC's, and research (a small amount, e.g., 2 semesters, is adequate for research). EC's should include leadership positions and volunteering at a minimum, ideally.