BS Psychology as Pre-med Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawburies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman student majoring in Psychology.

Out of all the common pre-med courses, I chose Psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist in the future. I am also more interested in this course compared to other pre-med courses. Compared to other pre-med courses, we will only experience training during our senior year.

Would I have a hard time entering med school? Am I at a disadvantage because of this?

+++ I really like Psychology so what can I do to fill up my disadvantages?

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in Psychology and have been accepted into med school. As long as you have passion and rationale for your majors Med schools don't care what you major in. Just make sure you still do well in all of your pre-med requirements

Reactions: 1 user
I have a psych degree and loved it. Very interesting stuff and I actually feel as if I have a better understanding of a diverse set of people, which has helped in my patient encounters, so far.

Do what you need to do and enjoy your studies!

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych is fine. I majored in psych and was accepted. No one cares what you major in at all. What matters is GPA, MCAT, EC's, and research (a small amount, e.g., 2 semesters, is adequate for research). EC's should include leadership positions and volunteering at a minimum, ideally.

Your major doesn't matter. It is unlikely that a psych degree will be a factor in you becoming a psychiatrist. Major in what you're interested in. If that's psych, fantastic.

Reactions: 2 users