BSN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?

BSN accelerated program: 3.8gpa with neuro ICU practicum. Now, 5 months in acute psych floor nurse at top hospital.

Undergrad at top 10 school, 3.4gpa: took BIO1,2, Organic Chem1,2, Chem1 - still need a year of physics, biochem.

Was going to go to a state school to finish those pre reqs. Assuming I ace those while shadowing. Assuming I do great on the MCAT. What are my chances? I was thinking of a post bacc at a local state school or communication as well while working full time as a nurse - any thoughts on this vs. a special masters or an official post bacc? This process is complicated! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've finished an informal DIY postbacc, and looking back I'm glad I didn't go with a formal one (i.e. I would do a DIY again). Not only is it cheaper, but you can be much more methodical in where/when you take classes, and avoid the harsher/rougher grading found in some formal postbacc programs. Your main goal is to do well, and I think it's easier to do well in an unofficial PB compared to a formal program.

The biggest downside a DIY postbacc is that you're at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to registration priority, meaning it can be very difficult to get into some classes (like labs) as an open enrollment student at a university. I got around this by doing the PB at an "extension" school of a university (UCLA Extension), where classes were first-come first-served.

If you need structure/guidance during a PB, you won't find any in a DIY setting. I mainly used SDN to guide myself in what classes to take, and what matters/what doesn't. If you absolutely need some structure during your PB, then a formal one may be better for you/

I think doing an SMP with your numbers is taking on unnecessary debt and risk.

Assuming you do well on your remaining classes and MCAT and I think your chances would be good. considering you just need the physics and biochem I would not do an SMP. That's just my take.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not impossible, but keep strengthening your performance in upper-level biomedical science classes. Don't think about the MCAT until you've done your prerequisites and passed them.

Reactions: 1 user
What are my chances?

BSN accelerated program: 3.8gpa with neuro ICU practicum. Now, 5 months in acute psych floor nurse at top hospital.

Undergrad at top 10 school, 3.4gpa: took BIO1,2, Organic Chem1,2, Chem1 - still need a year of physics, biochem.

Was going to go to a state school to finish those pre reqs. Assuming I ace those while shadowing. Assuming I do great on the MCAT. What are my chances? I was thinking of a post bacc at a local state school or communication as well while working full time as a nurse - any thoughts on this vs. a special masters or an official post bacc? This process is complicated! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
I would take physics first and see where you stand. At my undergrad it was one of the premed killer classes. I would honestly focus on that and take biochemistry and some more micro and genetics classes. You're going to have to show that you can learn advanced science classes and think critically.