BU March Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right now I am so glad I didn't spend the $1000 dollars to go to the second look. I just got my prelim financial aid package ~$32,000 in LOANS. HOW IN THE HELL am I supposed to come up with the rest, let alone pay that off when I am pushing 40. Looks like I'm withdrawing. I'm sad too. I really wanted to go back to Boston!

Just as an FYI, the best part of the e-mail was that total expenses are estimated at about $70,000 per year for the c/o 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

Another adcom member told me that if a currently accepted GMS gives up his/her spot it's given to another GMS applicant.

Thats good to know. I'm a currently accepted GMS-er who will be submitting my withdrawal letter tomorrow. Good luck to all of my GMS buddies! :luck:

Do you have to complete the Profile online to get the aid package?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to complete the Profile online to get the aid package?

Yes you do--I don't understand why we essentially have to re-enter all of the info from the FAFSA AND pay $23 to process the darn thing. I was not happy compiling my financial aid info for BU, but even less happy when I got my package :(

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I'm withdrawing. Like many of you, I was very disappointed by the (lack of) financial aid and cannot justify the extra loans.

Best of luck to everyone! The best part about withdrawing is that I know some great folks on this thread are really hoping to get off the waitlist!!

Curious, how many of you guys are holding out for BU and will attend if accepted off the waitlist?

good luck y'all, gave up my acceptance last week...too expensive

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I'm withdrawing. Like many of you, I was very disappointed by the (lack of) financial aid and cannot justify the extra loans.

Best of luck to everyone! The best part about withdrawing is that I know some great folks on this thread are really hoping to get off the waitlist!!

Congrats on your decision, kbear!

For others who were disappointed with the finaid, here's a tidbit. I talked to a counselor there and they were able to reevaluate my package given that I will no longer be working full-time next year (imagine that) and will therefore not have the income represented on my taxes. It's still not great, but they were able to give me some more low interest school loans and some grant money. If anyone else is in the same situation, it might be worth talking to someone there...

Best of luck to those hanging out on the WL!

1000% definitely will accept if taken off the waitlist!!! I'm thinking of offering one of my kidneys to Dr. Witzburg in exchange for a spot. :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If accepted off waitlist.. i'll be on the next flight to Boston to thank him in person.

anyone have any specifics regarding WL movement? I know we've been given the "you'll hear back sometime in June" remark but I'm getting sort of anxious here :(

Relax...I've been told we really won't hear anything until June. Take a deep breath and try not to think about it for three weeks. If it happens sooner, then great! Otherwise, there's nothing you can do about it anyways.

There's definitely not going to be any movement until after May 15th when people will absolutely have to turn down their acceptances. And it will then take BU some time to pick out the waitlisters to fill the open spots. The earliest ive heard from people taken off the list in the past is late May/ early June....and that depends on whether enough people drop their acceptances. Hang in there.

I was told that on June 18th people will start hearing if they get accepted off waitlist. Thats what admissions told me.

are you serious?!?!?! JUNE 18TH!?!?! :( that's so late.

Hi there fellow GMSers.. Just wanted to let you know that I gave up my spot at BU this morning. If it's true that they will replace me with another GMSer.. I wish you the best of luck. :luck: If it's not true, then everyone has another open spot that may go to them!

I'm just curious -- when did last year's thread move? (debating whether to withdraw actually)

never, there was no movement last year......

Withdrew from the waiting list today. Good luck to you all!

hey I just wanted to let people know that I heard the class is still currently overfilled, meaning # of accepted> class size.

We're going to need a lot more people withdrawing to get it under the BU class size so waitlist movement can occur. So if you have friends who got an extension and are still debating between BU and another school, tell them to move their butts (nicely, of course).

Seriously, you'd never guess it was overfilled from the number of withdrawals already.

hey I just wanted to let people know that I heard the class is still currently overfilled, meaning # of accepted> class size.

We're going to need a lot more people withdrawing to get it under the BU class size so waitlist movement can occur. So if you have friends who got an extension and are still debating between BU and another school, tell them to move their butts (nicely, of course).

Seriously, you'd never guess it was overfilled from the number of withdrawals already.

hey Thayer, do you know if it's by a huge amount or a tad?

this is really disappointing :(

Yeah, I find that really hard to believe. There were a bunch of no-shows at the Open House and most of the folks I talked to were deciding between other schools and weren't really leaning toward BU. And I thought BU was more conservative with acceptances this year so with all of us that have withdrawn, you'd think some spots would open up.

hey Thayer, was this after May 15th? maybe a lot of people asked for extensions?

The official I talked to didn't say how much over the class was currently and it's possible their info was out of date. They said they expect waitlist movement this year. The Admissions office was probably still processing a flood of last minute withdrawal emails since it was close to May 15th.

I can't imagine it being that much over but that's my speculation. I have heard that they are below their GMS quota though and I've heard of 6-7 GMS students who have already withdrawn.

And....the waitlist is ranked "internally". From what I have heard there are I think 4-5 "tiers".

The official I talked to didn't say how much over the class was currently and it's possible their info was out of date. They said they expect waitlist movement this year. The Admissions office was probably still processing a flood of last minute withdrawal emails since it was close to May 15th.

I can't imagine it being that much over but that's my speculation. I have heard that they are below their GMS quota though and I've heard of 6-7 GMS students who have already withdrawn.

And....the waitlist is ranked "internally". From what I have heard there are I think 4-5 "tiers".

I've been speculating that lots of GMS folks have withdrawn, which could be good for us GMSers. but if they're overfilled at this point, I dont know how likely it is for them to take on more students.

i defintely think their WL is ranked. there's no way they're going to sit through meetings to determine who gets what seat this late in the year. but 4-5 tiers? wow, that's pretty detailed.

hey guys, sounds like it's too early to say anything about the overfilled class right now.

someone at the office said they won't even start looking at taking people off the waitlist until mid june!!! :(

hey guys, sounds like it's too early to say anything about the overfilled class right now.

someone at the office said they won't even start looking at taking people off the waitlist until mid june!!! :(

Don't be too discouraged sendwich. The mid- June date is just an estimation. Waitlist movement can occur before or after that date, its happened in the past.

Its the end of May and it seems there hasn't been any WL movement. I think all the June 18th talk is whats going to happen. BU seems to stick to its dates =/- a couple. Hang in there all you fellow WLers. June 18th...that should be a piece of cake after 10 or so months of waiting. haha

Hey guys,
how do you know the waitlist is ranked? Where did you get that information from. The Admissions staff wrote this to me on MAy 24:

The waitlist is not ranked. As positions open up in the class, the
candidates on the waitlist will be rereviewed by the committee in order to
decide who to offer seats to in the class. It is near impossible to
predict exactly how each year will go, but the best I can tell you is
that if there is movement from the waitlist, we will not expect it until
June. Thank you for your patience.

Hopefully there is significant movement.