BU March Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in, too - from the status page. I will most likely withdraw as well. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone remember what the BU grading system is?

BUSM is pass/fail the first year, but i'm not sure about year 2 (anyone know?). however, BUSM is undergoing lots of curriculum changes this year and next year, so who knows.

Wait List Count: 9

sendwich
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
+ve

Members don't see this ad :)
weird, i posted this question yesterday. can't find it on this thread but comes up in the search

but...

what does it mean when someone says the waitlist will be active at a certain time? i'm guessing that's when they take people off it? a friend talked to witzburg about this whole WL deal and he said the WL will be active in june!! is this protocol to wait this long? i'd love to go to bu but i'm not sure if i can wait this long to find out!! :scared:

but i sure wish it was only 9 people long!!

WAITLIST COUNT = 43(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
dago (shaking fist furiously to the sky)
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1
+ 2 DrCurious knows
TSK
+ive

* (GMS Student)

Thanks-- I realized it got much longer as I read through the pages.

So is it confirmed that we have to wait until june?

is this typical of medschool WLs?

Yeah, it's extremely typical. On May 15th everyone has to pick a school and most schools want to review how many spots they have to fill/re-review apps before starting to give out acceptances from the WL.

Totally sucks, though.

Yeah, it's extremely typical. On May 15th everyone has to pick a school and most schools want to review how many spots they have to fill/re-review apps before starting to give out acceptances from the WL.

Totally sucks, though.

oh.my.gawd.

dude, ltrain, a HUGE congrats! We still want you at UCSF, but you've been getting WLed like mad, and i'm sure this is very reaffirming for you. Yay for your acceptance! i'm still rooting that UCSF accepts you and wins you over though...

dude, ltrain, a HUGE congrats! We still want you at UCSF, but you've been getting WLed like mad, and i'm sure this is very reaffirming for you. Yay for your acceptance! i'm still rooting that UCSF accepts you and wins you over though...

THANKS Peri! :D

And "wins me over"??? If UCSF accepts me, I will be handing over this BU spot to one of these nice waitlistees pronto...

BUSM is pass/fail the first year, but i'm not sure about year 2 (anyone know?). however, BUSM is undergoing lots of curriculum changes this year and next year, so who knows.

Hey Epidemic,
first and foremost, Congrats on your acceptance:clap: :clap: :clap: . I've been so concerned about the WL I didn't get around to congratulating everyone so a belated congratulations to all of you who have been accepted.

About your question...I wanted to let you know that the second year is Honors/Pass/Fail. There are several reasons why first year is P/F. First, they wanted students to work with each other rather than compete. BU strongly encourages working with other students as a team. Second, I think they found having H/P/F during first year was bad because of all the different routes that applicants could enter the MD program and this caused undue competitiveness. I heard by the time students get to second year, they are so used to helping each other out in first year, that the competitiveness is minimal during second with the added Honors in place...plus studying skills are better able to deal with this. I hope that answers your Q.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from someone today that WL has an upper tier and lower tier... Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone get a solid response from the admissions committee about the WL numbers???

I heard from someone today that WL has an upper tier and lower tier... Can anyone confirm this?

Hey Springhurst, from your previous posts in this thread I think you are GMS. Did you hear this from a reliable source like your advisor? Because the email that was sent says the WL is unranked so I am confused.

Anyone get a solid response from the admissions committee about the WL numbers???

i just got off the phone w/ a friend. she asked someone in the office about the WL numbers but it sounds like they dont'/can't share this info, which really sucks :(

I wouldn't count on gaining any useful info from the office. I have tried to ask multiple schools about waitlists; size and ranking within them. They are all VERY secretive and ridiculous about it.

I'm sure if that info was public, there would be a couple lawsuits flying around. Schools are just trying to cover up embarrassing truths. This doesn't mean that you should fret about your chances of being selected from these lists. Just be prepared to assume that they choose in a completely random fashion.

Bottom line: have a backup plan!

anyone planning to come to open house on 4/28?

btw, WLers, I've heard of stories of people who have been WL'ed at other schools and they personally SHOWED UP at revisit open house and petitioned and passionated advocated to admissions director in person why they want to come to xyz med school. they said thats how they got into Columbia and UPENN. someone ballsy could try this, though I'm not sure if Witzburg is into that or not.

anyone planning to come to open house on 4/28?

I'll plan on going.

I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, which is a little weird, since I live quite close to BU. Maybe tomorrow.

Hey Springhurst, from your previous posts in this thread I think you are GMS. Did you hear this from a reliable source like your advisor? Because the email that was sent says the WL is unranked so I am confused.

Star polyp -- This was a fairly reasonable source... I am still looking to confirm this info though

ltrain:

contact the office and find out when it was mailed and to what address. apparently mine was mailed thursday, but since i live on the west coast, I probably won't get it until at the earliest tomorrow.

PS, for anyone living/ or has lived in the boston area, when do you think is the earliest to look for a place for july 1? (sort of off topic, but just wondering what people think).

i will DEFINITELY be up on april 28th... it will be very important for me - I am split right down the middle on deciding between BU or SUNY Stony Brook (in state tuition); but I really am in love with the idea of a new city and the plastics match at BU is phenomenal

PS, for anyone living/ or has lived in the boston area, when do you think is the earliest to look for a place for july 1? (sort of off topic, but just wondering what people think).

finding an apt in Boston requires some sleuthing and you should start ASAP if you plan to move in early July. Most landlords requires tenants to notify them of July vacancy by early/mid April (now), so you should start lookin in a week or 2. but start looking fast.

BUSM is located in the South End neighborhood, however the good bus and train system in Boston lets you live anywhere within MBTA's T coverage area. Pricier neighborhoods to look include Brookline, Cambridge, Back Bay, Fenway, or anywhere downtown Boston. Cheaper neighborhoods include Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Allston or Brighton (both close to main BU campus which you can take shuttle to BUSM), and South End itself of course.

There are obviously a lot more neighborhoods in Boston, but you can look up more later. Standard 1 bedroom in cheaper neighborhoods are around $1000-$1200/month, more expensive/fancier places can run $1500 to $2000 to SKY IS THE LIMIT!

ltrain:

contact the office and find out when it was mailed and to what address. apparently mine was mailed thursday, but since i live on the west coast, I probably won't get it until at the earliest tomorrow.

Hey Patton77 - Earlier is always best - I know my apartment complex was doing huge tours for the UMASS students this weekend and by July 31 we are usually full and onto waiting lists. (My apartment complex has over 1000 apts too!) I am also a ways away from campus (20 min by bus) the apartments closer to campus go fast!! And if you plan on looking to live in Harrison Court - get on the waitlist now and you might have a chance for next year!

Good luck!

Hey all - just got an email about Second Look Day

Here's the agenda

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
ADMISSIONS OPEN HOUSE
April 28, 2007
11:30-11:45 PM: INTRODUCTION
Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Professor of Medicine and Health Services
11:45 AM-12:45 PM: LUNCH WITH FACULTY AND STUDENTS

12:45-1:00 PM: WELCOME FROM THE DEAN
Karen Antman, M.D.
Dean, School of Medicine
Provost, Medical Campus
Professor of Medicine
1:00-1:15 PM: REVIEW OF THE AGENDA AND PLANS FOR THE DAY
Deborah W. Vaughan, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology

1:15-1:45 PM: FINANCING A MEDICAL EDUCATION: THE BASICS
Kathleen Stavropoulos
Executive Director, Office of Student Financial Services
David Rini
Manager, Housing Resources

1:45-2:30 PM: QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION WITH A STUDENT PANEL
STUDENT NAMES/CLASS YEARS TO FOLLOW

2:30-3:30 PM:

• Tours of the Medical Center and Harrison Court
  • Underrepresented Minority Student Interest Group
McNary Learning Center Room R 110
3:30-4:15 PM: SIMULTANEOUS WORKSHOPS, ROUND 1
Workshop #1: Elective Programs in Research and in International Health
McNary Learning Center Room R 103
Suzanne Sarfaty, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Associate Professor of Medicine
Workshop #2: The MD-MPH Choice: Mountains Beyond Mountains (Round 1 only)
EvansBuilding - Keefer Auditorium
Wayne W. LaMorte, M.D., Ph.D., MPH
Director, MD-MPH Program
Professor of Surgery and Epidemiology
Workshop #3: Whys & Wherefores of the M.D.-Ph.D Program (Round 2 only)
McNary Learning Center Room R 108
Peter Bergethon, M.D.
Advisor, MD-PhD Program
Associate Professor of Anatomy, Neurobiology, and Biochemistry
Workshop #4: Student Life: Advising & Mentoring, Student Activities & Organizations
McNary Learning Center Room R 115
Phyllis L. Carr, M.D.
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Associate Professor of Medicine
Workshop #5: Career Options in Primary Care
McNary Learning Center Room R 112
Avra Goldman, M.D.
Medical Director, Family Medicine Center
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine

Jason Worcester, M.D.
Medical Director, Primary Care Center
Assistant Professor of Medicine

Douglass Hoffman, M.D.
Chief, Ambulatory Pediatrics
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics

Workshop #6: Curriculum Outline and Rationale
McNary Learning Center Room R 110

Adrianne Rogers M.D.
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs ad interim
Professor of Family Medicine

Carol Walsh, Ph.D.
Chair, Pre-Clinical Curriculum Subcommittee
Professor of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics

NEED STUDENT NAMES/CLASS YEARS
4:15-4:30 PM: BREAK

4:30-5:15 PM: SIMULTANEOUS WORKSHOPS, ROUND 2

Repeat of Workshops
5:30-6:00 PM: DIVERSITY & CULTURAL COMPETENCE IN MEDICINE
Hiebert Lounge 14th floor – InstructionalBuilding
Jon Woodson, M.D.
Professor of Surgery
Associate Dean for Students and Minority Affairs ad interim

6:00-6:15 PM: WRAP UP AND FINAL QUESTIONS
All Participants
6:15PM: DEPARTURE FOR SCOMSA-SPONSORED EVENING IN BOSTON

ltrain:

Thanks, I'll call.

To add to what epidemic said, there really isn't good T service to BUSM. There is the silver line that you can switch to and runs above ground like a bus. Personally, I avoid a commute that requires more than one train/bus, as it is, after all, public transportation and prone to delays (esp buses). That said, check out this site for help with public transit in Boston -- the trip planner is very helpful: www.mbta.com

Can anyone post exactly where the BU shuttle runs? Does it only stop at the undergrad campus? If you're trying to maximize affordability and ease of transportation, Allston/Brighton is a good bet. Try Craigslist for an idea of apts/pricing. It has a very college-y feel to it, though.

And yes, it's time to start hunting for July 1.

WAITLIST COUNT = 44(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
dago (shaking fist furiously to the sky)
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1
+ 2 DrCurious knows
TSK
+ive
Dr Terrier MD* ("Waiting is the hardest part" - you were right Tom Petty)

* (GMS Student)

For those of you on the waitlist, does your account still say
"We have offered you a position on our Wait List," even after you told them you would like to be on this list?

I am being paranoid here, but I want to make sure I am actually on it.

For those of you on the waitlist, does your account still say
"We have offered you a position on our Wait List," even after you told them you would like to be on this list?

I am being paranoid here, but I want to make sure I am actually on it.

yeah, after i sent them an email, someone responded back saying smtg like "we're putting you on the waitlist". and even then, the "we have offered you a position on our WL" still appears on the front page. maybe that's standard?

yeah, after i sent them an email, someone responded back saying smtg like "we're putting you on the waitlist". and even then, the "we have offered you a position on our WL" still appears on the front page. maybe that's standard?

same here, it's probably standard

i dreamt last night i got in off the WL. i was so confused b/c i thought it wasn't until june they accepted people off the list. so i'm frantically posting here (in my dream) saying "hey guys!! i got in off the WL!! there's hope!!" but then i wake up.....:(

dreaming (or nightmaring) about the app process ain't no fun.

anyone with any news? I emailed someone I know who's on the adcomm, wondering if there's anything we, applicants, can do at this point to bump ourselves off the WL and they said decisions on our status have been ALREADY MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so it sounds like nothing we can send in will have any impact at this point. what sucks is, if they really made decisoins by this point, WHY are they waiting until june?!?!?!

i'm so sad.

how have decisions already been made if not everyone has withdrawn? I dont think that makes to much sense, anyone else want to put in their 2 cents explaining what that means?

how have decisions already been made if not everyone has withdrawn? I dont think that makes to much sense, anyone else want to put in their 2 cents explaining what that means?

Even if they say they don't rank....I'm guessing they've already made a ranked list. If 36 slots open up they offer acceptances starting from 1 through 36. If some of those people decline, they start offering spots to 37, 38, 39, and so on...

I mean how else could decisions have already been made before the May 15th deadline?

yeah, there has to be some sort of ranking system. or else, it becomes, "let's draw their names out of a hat" sort of deal.

Did they give any idea of how many might be waitlisted?

yeah, there has to be some sort of ranking system. or else, it becomes, "let's draw their names out of a hat" sort of deal.

I talked to a BU adcom member too. Wouldn't reveal anything about overall waitlist stats but was sort of sympathetic and gave me these approx stats for GMS anyway

roughly 86 interviewed, 34 accepted, about 20 rejected leaving about 32 waitlisted.

Also found out that not all of the original committee meets to determine who gets in off the waitlist (for everyone, not just GMS). It's a smaller committee....it may even be just Dean Witzburg.

Another adcom member told me that if a currently accepted GMS gives up his/her spot it's given to another GMS applicant.

None of this info came from Dean Witzburg though and he has the final say so take all this info with a grain of salt.

Hope this info helps! I'm trying to hang in there and I hope you guys are too. :)

Wow thats alot waitlisted. If there are 32 GMSers waitlisted alone, then there most be well over a hundred total.

Ive heard that BU accepted just about as many as they had seats this year after last years over acceptance fiasco. Anyone have info about that, especially all of you GMSers?

Does that GMS for a GMS also apply to other schools like a cali student for a cali student etc?

I can understand how frustrating all this waiting can be. I think they say June just to be safe because theres no knowing how many accepted students will turn down BU...and they will have a better idea after May 15th. Just have faith everyone and stick it out. If BUSM is really where you want to go, express your continual interest and provide the school with any updates (e.g. new grades, publications, etc.)

anyone with any news? I emailed someone I know who's on the adcomm, wondering if there's anything we, applicants, can do at this point to bump ourselves off the WL and they said decisions on our status have been ALREADY MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so it sounds like nothing we can send in will have any impact at this point. what sucks is, if they really made decisoins by this point, WHY are they waiting until june?!?!?!

i'm so sad.

I highly doubt there is a hard and fast rule in terms of the school replacing a cali student for another cali student. BU values class diversity and will aim to maintain diversity. And diversity can mean just about anything (i.e. school, interests, state, grades, ethnicity), so anything can happen.

In the past, BU accepts a certain average number of GMSers each year. This number can fluctuate up and down somewhat.

Wow thats alot waitlisted. If there are 32 GMSers waitlisted alone, then there most be well over a hundred total.

Ive heard that BU accepted just about as many as they had seats this year after last years over acceptance fiasco. Anyone have info about that, especially all of you GMSers?

Does that GMS for a GMS also apply to other schools like a cali student for a cali student etc?

The situation with GMS is unique. The adcom has an informal arrangement with the GMS program that around 30 GMS students +/- 5 kids (abouts) are in the incoming class. Last year, the informal quota was disregarded and fewer GMS kids were accepted and the rest were dumped on the waitlist, which ended up having no movement.

While I imagine the adcom tries to maintain diversity, I don't think they would necessarily substitute one CA student for another CA that withdrew. That's my speculation anyway. The GMS case is unique due to the ties between the programs.

I can't say whether this improves or hurts a GMS student's chances compared with a normal applicant and I don't know if they underaccepted for their incoming class this year. I've heard the rumors but no confirmation either way from a reliable source.

I do know from a reliable source that they accepted less students initially than they did last year to try and correct the no waitlist movement that happened last year.

for what it's worth, i would say that most people I spoke with at this weekend's open house were still undecided on attending BU. And a lot of them were considering cheaper state schools that it seemed they were more likely to choose. good luck!

for what it's worth, i would say that most people I spoke with at this weekend's open house were still undecided on attending BU. And a lot of them were considering cheaper state schools that it seemed they were more likely to choose. good luck!

about how many people showed up? 100? not all 300, right? that would be huuge.

Agree with this. It was like a "where I'm going that's not BU" fest. It was the only 2nd look I went to, so I can't compare, but I don't think they did a great job selling BU. Maybe that's good for waitlisters... ;)

Good luck, guys. I'm really trying to make my decision, I swear.

Sendwich, there were 250 people who RSVP'ed... but don't freak out at that number, b/c it included the guests people brought... parents, SO's, etc and it seemed there were plenty of guests. So it would be really hard to guess how many students were actually there. Also, I heard someone from the admissions office saying how "there sure were a lot of no-shows." So apparently some people RSVP'ed and never bothered to come. They made folders for every student and there were many extra folders that were never picked up. The waitlist should definitely move!

Sendwich, there were 250 people who RSVP'ed... but don't freak out at that number, b/c it included the guests people brought... parents, SO's, etc and it seemed there were plenty of guests. So it would be really hard to guess how many students were actually there. Also, I heard someone from the admissions office saying how "there sure were a lot of no-shows." So apparently some people RSVP'ed and never bothered to come. They made folders for every student and there were many extra folders that were never picked up. The waitlist should definitely move!

we're crossing our fingers!