BU March Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WAITLIST COUNT = 35 (How many are GMS?)

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
dago (shaking fist furiously to the sky)
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted

* (GMS Student)

Members don't see this ad.

tremble before the titanic monster that is... the BU waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea this is kinda ridiculous. How is this by any means small. Unless of course this is the whole list :). Seriously though, how many more are likely? Personally I was just going to double the number as a rough estimate.

Im gonna stick with my original guess of 80-100.

BTW I really feel after last years mishap over accepting and having more then expected agree to attend, they definitely may have taken the conservative approach and decided last minute to accept less, hence the last minute confusion too.

Wait list count: 18

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
FatKidWithCake

fatkidwithcake- you need to fix your post and add your name to the bottom of the longer WL (your post is outdated).

Also, are any of the new folks one of the 6 unspecified friends of "doctak"? (just making sure there are no duplicates being reflected on the running tally)

again, can anyone explain this GMS quota thing? is it like a postbac premed program or a pre-BUSM channel program?

WAITLIST COUNT = 36(How many are GMS?)

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake

* (GMS Student)

I've added FatKidWithCake to the list and the appropriate star to my screen name.

To think that a GMS student will need to reject admission to free up a spot for other GMSers has me a bit spooked. I'm not sure what that does to my chances. Any other GMS students out there with thoughts on the matter?

again, can anyone explain this GMS quota thing? is it like a postbac premed program or a pre-BUSM channel program?

GMS is a postbac premed program at BU. It's one of those often-mentioned special master's programs (SMPs). I wouldn't call it a pre-BUSM channel since the vast majority of its graduates don't end up admitted to BUSM. From each GMS class of about 160 students, about 30 make it into the BU's med school class.

Add me to your wait listed list! Anyone else feel like they waited months only to wait some more?? Anyone else on the list an out-of-stater?

Add me to your wait listed list! Anyone else feel like they waited months only to wait some more?? Anyone else on the list an out-of-stater?

Are these WL emails still trickling out to people, or did they all arrive on Fri night?

My waitlist email arrived on Friday night - posted at 7:40pm

WAITLIST COUNT = 37(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85

* (GMS Student)

To all the GMS'ers out there - please add an asterick next to your name on the WAITLIST so that I can get an indication of how many of us are in that total.

Cheers:)

Members don't see this ad :)
WAITLIST COUNT = 37(How many are GMS?)

To think that a GMS student will need to reject admission to free up a spot for other GMSers has me a bit spooked. I'm not sure what that does to my chances. Any other GMS students out there with thoughts on the matter?

I will be speaking with my graduate advisor on Monday and get back to you guys with regards to this matter ASAP.

I will be speaking with my graduate advisor on Monday and get back to you guys with regards to this matter ASAP.

thanks springhurst!! i'd ask my advisor as well but i'm on the opposite coast! :thumbup:

WAITLIST COUNT = 38(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex

* (GMS Student)

Has anyone asked/found out how many waitlisters there maybe?
Ohh and I know of two more people not on list that are Waitlisted.

WAITLIST COUNT = 38(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex

* (GMS Student)

I got my wait list e-mail friday night at 7:24pm

WAITLIST COUNT = 40(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
+ 2 DrCurious knows

* (GMS Student)

There seems to be way more waitlisted then accepted posting here

QUESTIONS?

1)What is the SD count for accepted applicants to BUSM?

2) Do we know how many accceptance offers BUSM planned to send out?

**I recall during the post-interview meeting with Dean Witzburg that they offered 30% of the seats to first-round interviewees...

I wish we had some concrete numbers!!

WAITLIST COUNT = 39(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1

* (GMS Student)

* Not to freak anyone out but I found this Googling on the web. And BTW, the waitlist count should be 41 right?

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Medical Education Committee
Minutes –July 12, 2006
4:30-6:00 P.M.
Dean’s Conference Room, R 112

DISCUSSION: Dr. Rogers was unsure if Dr. McCahan had spoken to Linda, and if so what
may have transpired. She asked Dr. Carr to follow up on the issue with Linda.
ACTION: Dr. Carr to follow up on the issue of MD and dental school usage of 670
Albany street space in 2006- 2007.
Dr. Rogers noted the incoming BUSM I class is very large. Dean Antman clarified that at
current count there were 189 enrolled and e​
xplained the final count will not be known till the
end of August. She enthusiastically noted this is a 40% higher yield than last year (the
MD/PhD program had a 100% yield – of 18 students). She suggested two reasons for the
higher yield: 1. BUSM was ranked higher this year in US News and World Report 2. The
inclusion of an essay in the application process lead to motivated, bright individuals
applying. Dr. Antman pointed out that this is the strongest class enrolled to date – all
individuals are from the first pool of applicants. (none are from the wait list)
Dr. Walsh
wondered about course planning for Year 2 and when that needed to start. She also
wondered about the applicants for the Masters in Medical Sciences program and how the
large MD class would affect that new class and vice versa. Dean Antman noted that 180
students were accepted into the MA in Medical Science program (the same as last year). Dr.
Rogers pointed out because fewer spots will be available for these students in the MD
classes, their courses will need to be planned separately.

* Not to freak anyone out but I found this Googling on the web. And BTW, the waitlist count should be 41 right?

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Medical Education Committee
Minutes –July 12, 2006
4:30-6:00 P.M.
Dean’s Conference Room, R 112

DISCUSSION: Dr. Rogers was unsure if Dr. McCahan had spoken to Linda, and if so what
may have transpired. She asked Dr. Carr to follow up on the issue with Linda.
ACTION: Dr. Carr to follow up on the issue of MD and dental school usage of 670
Albany street space in 2006- 2007.
Dr. Rogers noted the incoming BUSM I class is very large. Dean Antman clarified that at
current count there were 189 enrolled and e​
xplained the final count will not be known till the
end of August. She enthusiastically noted this is a 40% higher yield than last year (the
MD/PhD program had a 100% yield – of 18 students). She suggested two reasons for the
higher yield: 1. BUSM was ranked higher this year in US News and World Report 2. The
inclusion of an essay in the application process lead to motivated, bright individuals
applying. Dr. Antman pointed out that this is the strongest class enrolled to date – all
individuals are from the first pool of applicants. (none are from the wait list)
Dr. Walsh
wondered about course planning for Year 2 and when that needed to start. She also
wondered about the applicants for the Masters in Medical Sciences program and how the
large MD class would affect that new class and vice versa. Dean Antman noted that 180
students were accepted into the MA in Medical Science program (the same as last year). Dr.
Rogers pointed out because fewer spots will be available for these students in the MD
classes, their courses will need to be planned separately.

Yeah this was mentioned earlier in the thread. They over accepted the past couple of years so they didn't take people off the waitlist. From everything I have heard they are managing it differently so this issue will not come up again.

THe stuff at the end is about how the lecture and discussion classes are structured. GMS students (the MA in Medical Science program) take med school classes with med students, so with the increased number in the med school class, there was crowding in the classroom. They're just talking about planning separate classes/rooms for GMS and MD.

WAITLIST COUNT = 41(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1
+ 2 DrCurious knows

* (GMS Student)

Wow 41 on SDN alone, BU definitely did something different this year with admissions it seems...

I'm starting to think my chances of getting off WL are slim:(

WAITLIST COUNT = 41(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1
+ 2 DrCurious knows
TSK

* (GMS Student)

a friend talked to the witzburg, and he says the waiting list will be active in early june.

anyone know what this means? does that mean they're taking people off from the WL then if there are indeed openings? i dont know if i can wait that long. :scared:

I had been waiting and waiting, losing my mind. I just checked my status page and found out I GOT IN.

I am pulling for all of you on the waitlist. Seriously, no joke. I don't want this to make anyone feel like I am rubbing it in. Just wanted to give some info out to those who have not heard yet.

I hope to see all of you in August. If you decide on BU, feel free to ask me any questions regarding the Boston area, classes, or whatever. I'm here to help.

I had been waiting and waiting, losing my mind. I just checked my status page and found out I GOT IN.

I am pulling for all of you on the waitlist. Seriously, no joke. I don't want this to make anyone feel like I am rubbing it in. Just wanted to give some info out to those who have not heard yet.

I hope to see all of you in August. If you decide on BU, feel free to ask me any questions regarding the Boston area, classes, or whatever. I'm here to help.

Me too! Wow, thanks for posting Patton (and congrats!)!

Hang in there, WL guys, I know how much it sucks, especially when you don't have an acceptance or an acceptance you're excited about.

Correction w/ TSK added

WAITLIST COUNT = 42(How many are GMS?)

sendwich*
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney*
Mutt
johara*
wannaB*
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer*
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski
springhurst*
gsmithers68
buwaitlisted
FatKidWithCake
dealfred85
MessiahComplex
austindavid1
+ 2 DrCurious knows
TSK

* (GMS Student)

Thanks for updating the list for me springhurst! I'll actually be withdrawing from the waitlist this week, I'm going to Case. I wish you all the best of luck!
:luck:

That's a huge list... Hopefully, we're all of them hahahahah :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hello All,

Here is some information I was given from a GMS adviser a while back. As everyone probably knows, the school has historically accepted around 500 people as an initial acceptance. From that, approximately 25% actually matriculate into the school, thus somewhere around 125-130, thus the remaining 30 or so spots are taken from the wait list. The wait list has been comprised of roughly this number of students, so Dr. Witzburg is honest when he says the stack of people on the wait list is short.

Now, last year the retention rate went to 35%, thus they had the huge class and no wait list movement. I believe that this year, they probably sent out 350-400 acceptances (just a guess!), meaning that even if they get the extremely high retention rate of last year, they will still take a good sized number off the wait list. What this would also mean is that the wait list will be larger than it historically has been.

I hope this helps some of you to not necessarily panic at the sight of a large wait list here, it simply means they are trying to cover there bets.

Yeah, status page says that I'm in too. No emails of any sort. And I kinda told off the provost or something during my interview day. Be a number at BU or live in Providence? Mmmmmm.

Yeah, status page says that I'm in too. No emails of any sort. And I kinda told off the provost or something during my interview day. Be a number at BU or live in Providence? Mmmmmm.

Thanks, map.
I checked my status page and I'm in too. I'll probably give up my spot, though, so I hope one of you guys on the waitlist gets it. Good Luck to everyone!

wait you "told off" the provost? what's the story on that? short of a stanford acceptance, you planning to come to BU?

wait you "told off" the provost? what's the story on that? short of a stanford acceptance, you planning to come to BU?

So they had that mid-morning panel in which a blue-ribbon bloke is marched in to answer questions about the school. It was basically an argument about BUMC, the new BSL4 lab, and the institution's relationship with Roxbury residents.

Since I'd totally written off BU in my mind after that, I realize I don't know much about BU other than the quite negative impression I got from the interview/tour day. I'm leaning Brown now. But off to go do some belated research on this school - I was one of those kids who left the optional section blank so I have never really considered why I wanted to go to BU other than the fact that it's in Boston.

sendwich, thanks for updating my gms status for me. good looking out.

that waitlist purgatory number is madness. hopefully the speculation that BU admitted less this year and added more to the waitlist instead is true, so that more of us on the waitlist have a better chance of moving off it.

my interviewer told me that Dean Witzburg has final say on who gets accepted from the waitlist, not the committee. has anyone heard something similar?

:eek: Wow!!! I leave SDN for a few days and total madness ensues!!! I can't believe how many people from this forum got waitlisted. Sendwich, Thayer, Chevalier I cant thank you guys enough for your support over the last few weeks. I am totally pulling for you guys and the rest of the waitlisters out there. I have confidince that there will be lots of waitlist movement this year and we'll all end up at BU in the fall! Wouldn't that be a kick!

So they had that mid-morning panel in which a blue-ribbon bloke is marched in to answer questions about the school. It was basically an argument about BUMC, the new BSL4 lab, and the institution's relationship with Roxbury residents.

Since I'd totally written off BU in my mind after that, I realize I don't know much about BU other than the quite negative impression I got from the interview/tour day. I'm leaning Brown now. But off to go do some belated research on this school - I was one of those kids who left the optional section blank so I have never really considered why I wanted to go to BU other than the fact that it's in Boston.

wow thats ballsy Map. but as for its relationship with the local neighborhood, its overall pretty good in giving so much free indigent care. Back when I was in Baltimore, Hopkins was actually much worse in treating its local residents- evicting tons of residents via its landbanking-demolition conspiracy.

as for Brown, it only recently opened up its MD program to the general pool of applicants- most of its students are still kids who got into Brown med straight from h.s. via 8-yr program or other channel programs. so by the time they get to their med school years, they've pretty much taken their med school seat for granted as a privilege rather than an honor earned through hard work during undergrad. personally, i've been told that other than its mediocre bottom-of-the-ivy name, Brown med really isn't that great--trust me, I've come to know the clinical research world pretty well, and Brown med is really not famous for anything.

In contrast, BU is actually VERY VERY famous with its internationally acclaimed FRAMINGHAM HEART STUDY (>50 years running now)- from which the Framingham Risk Score of heart disease prediction is based and used as the most established clinical prediction tool in practice (every practicing physician uses it to some degree). Also you want to goto a med school with a hospital with high patient and trauma volume- which BUSM definitely has more than a dinky Providence hospital (BMC has more volume and diverse patient base than even MGH-- everyone in Boston knows that if you get shot, stabbed, or run over by a car-- you want to get your ass BMC!). Plus, if you flip through the BU student list they gave you at the interview- you'd see there are plenty of other HU grads there. In my mind, Brown can't compare to BU- I wouldn't even put Brown among the top 50.

C'mon, who else feels pumped about BU?!

I'll be stoked about BU, when/if I get off the waitlist.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wow thats ballsy Map. but as for its relationship with the local neighborhood, its overall pretty good in giving so much free indigent care.

Actually, my father lives in Roxbury, and people in the neighborhood are pretty upset about the BSL4 lab. BU has mangled community relations and treated the residents disrespectfully when they raised their concerns. Not everyone in Roxbury is relying on or grateful to BU for free care, and even if they were they deserve to be treated with respect for their views about living near such a facility. I'm not saying they definitely shouldn't build it, just that they should treat their neighbors better. One of the reasons I was interested in BU was to be near my father, but one of the reasons I don't think I'll be attending is the BSL4 lab.

One of the reasons I was interested in BU was to be near my father, but one of the reasons I don't think I'll be attending is the BSL4 lab.

Right. I'm actually pro-lab, but I find it troublesome that the vast majority of BU applicants have no idea what's going on here. And the admissions office isn't exactly volunteering details either.

Actually, my father lives in Roxbury, and people in the neighborhood are pretty upset about the BSL4 lab. BU has mangled community relations and treated the residents disrespectfully when they raised their concerns. Not everyone in Roxbury is relying on or grateful to BU for free care, and even if they were they deserve to be treated with respect for their views about living near such a facility. I'm not saying they definitely shouldn't build it, just that they should treat their neighbors better. One of the reasons I was interested in BU was to be near my father, but one of the reasons I don't think I'll be attending is the BSL4 lab.

every medical center, if you dig need enough and know the local story, has these controversies. For example, Johns Hopkins employed a type of "slash-and-burn" landbanking practice of buying up any free real estate in a neighborhood and quickly demolishing it (even if part of a rowhouse) so as to create urban blight and cause property values to plummet in an area- which allow Johns Hopkins to buy up even more land and eventually take control of an entire previously-populated neighbood to build a Biotech park.

The BSL4 lab being built is no more dangerous than CDC's BSL4 lab in heart of Atlanta, or US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Disease (USAMRIID)'s BSL4 lab in well-populated suburban Maryland. If anything, these two BSL4 labs (one a military BSL4 lab, the other being the leading BSL4 for all global emerging agents) would be much more dangerous than BU's. If BSL4s truly are dangerous, then nobody would attend Emory, UMD, GT, GW, or Johns Hopkins.

In my expert opinion as an epidemiologist, the absolute risk of a BSL4 lab accident is thousands of times lower than any traffic acident or airline crash. The general public often has extreme misconceptions about the likelihood of events with improbable risks (tons of risk assessment and decision analysis research show that public has enormous misperceptions of risk) and this BSL4 lab story is no different.

Plus, Roxbury neighborhood honestly needs something to revamp the decaying neighborhood- gunshot incidents and homocides in Boston is at a 10-yr high i think and Roxbury's problems are one of the worst in Boston. Anything new to change up the neighborhood would be good for it.

I actually spent the first 10 min. of my interview talking about this. He asked me what I didn't like about BU so I told him. I definitely don't think of it as a deal breaker though. First of all the BSL4 wing of the building has not yet been approved nor have they started building it yet. They have to wait until they resolve the lawsuits that have been filed on behalf of the surrounding community. The reason I am not letting this stop me from coming here (besides the point it is my only acceptance so far), is I have already met much of the faculty here, and have been very impressed. Also, with my research I work with residents that attended BUMC and they have all said great things about their experiences there. Have you thought about attending the second look, before you make your final decision? You could use that time to have a candid talk with faculty and students.

Anyone remember what the BU grading system is?