BU or TUFTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quick Slvr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, whats up guys? which school would you choose and why? I have been accepted to both schools. I like both of the schools and i am planning to return to california to practice after graduation. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

The reasons are unlimited - but definetly Tufts. BU is also a good school.

you can do a search...there are many threads about these 2 schools. they are fine schools, but very expensive (not just tuition, but the living cost in Boston is outrageous, not to mention the freezing weather compared to your sunny california). But if you have to pick between Boston and Tufts, I would go with the one you feel most comfortable with. I don't think one is better than the other, although Tufts seems to get more publicity here on SDN. Just my $.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both of these schools and the dentists that I worked for unanimously said that although both schools are good, they would choose Tufts if they were in my shoes.

Hey Quick Slvr

I got into both schools and I chose BU, mostly because of the APEX program. People cut it on this board as a way for dentists to get work for free and this and that, but I only care what it has to offer to me. I think it will make me a better dentist in the long run. Both schools are good and I don't think 95% of patients(the people that really matter) give a flip where you went to school. Go to the one you think will fit you best. Good Luck and hope to see you at BU!

Originally posted by Radioheadblue
Hey Quick Slvr
I chose BU, mostly because of the APEX program....... I think it will make me a better dentist in the long run.

I doubt it.

Ecks

Why do you doubt it? Maybe you're right if you're thinking in the long run but as a head start I love it. Working in an office, assisting, filing, doing insurance, getting a feel of an office,etc. can't be a bad thing.

Hey Radio,

From what a few friends have told me, the APEX program BU has is a total waste of time. Many of the dentists that are affliated with the program dont trust the more vital aspects of running a practice to unexperienced students. You have to remember that they are running a business, and if you get in the way, you'll be finding yourself dusting the patient waiting area. Seriously!

So you ask, why would these dentists volunteer their offices for this program?? Because BU pays them to.

If you got into both Tufts and BU, and chose BU just beacause of the APEX thing, then you will regret it. Guaranteed.

From what a few friends have told me, the APEX program BU has is a total waste of time. Many of the dentists that are affliated with the program dont trust the more vital aspects of running a practice to unexperienced students. You have to remember that they are running a business, and if you get in the way, you'll be finding yourself dusting the patient waiting area. Seriously! So you ask, why would these dentists volunteer their offices for this program?? Because BU pays them to.

If you got into both Tufts and BU, and chose BU just beacause of the APEX thing, then you will regret it. Guaranteed.'

I'll take my chances. I like the idea that I can network with dentists that I may associate with later on in my career. I don't think they'll put me dusting. After all, students do have a choice of which doctors to work for, even choose one that you already know(if they sign APEX forms), so I wouldn't choose anyone that would do that. I would absolutely refuse if that was a common occurence. But, you're right, your not going to be assisting the dentist all the time. Assistants also do dirty work that needs to be done.

And if they get paid for accepting a volunteer, good for them, I would do the same thing. Why not have a chance at mentoring a future dental professional while getting paid and getting free work. But I'm not concerned with what they get, I'm concerned with what I get, and this seems like a good oppurtunity to learn some things, instead of spending the summers cleaning teeth or whatever. If I don't like the program afterwards, oh well. Regrets are for fools!

Although I dont agree with you, I wish you the best at BU.

Good luck at Tufts Ecks. Shoot, maybe I'll see ya around. I'll probably be eating at Jacob Wirths(by tufts) every darn day I love that place so much. Cheers

I am going to BU.....and I think the Apex program is GREAT :clap: :D :clap:

Boston is the way to go!! The APEX program is good! Definitely choose BU

Members don't see this ad :)
Some VERY important INSIDE info about BU:

Fact:
BU does not have enough dental chairs in the clinic. Students have to "WORK" hard for chairs. This will definitely affect your clinical skills. The school will never tell you this info.

My opinion:
APEX is an INEFFECTIVE use of your time as a dental student. Why pay ENORMOUS tuition to observe a dentist when you should be at the school practicing.

Believe it or not. Boston is NOT that big of a city. THere is definitely competition for patients among the three dental schools there.
----
I did not have to share these tidbits but felt obligated to contribute for having learned much from other people's posts. Sort of...GIVE BACK WHAT YOU TAKE. So, don't attack me.

Originally posted by futureD
BU does not have enough dental chairs in the clinic. Students have to "WORK" hard for chairs. This will definitely affect your clinical skills. The school will never tell you this info.

I didn't apply to that school - but my impression was always the school is not geared to clinical aspects for students, and this is what others on SDN expressed too.

APEX is an INEFFECTIVE use of your time as a dental student. Why pay ENORMOUS tuition to observe a dentist when you should be at the school practicing.

Does the school believe this curriculum with APEX is the key to all other things it can offer? - The BU Price-tag should deliver a better experience, and I think they are trying in all respect. Technology should not be used to replace some clinical practising time... well at least from the sound of it.

Believe it or not. Boston is NOT that big of a city.

Now this I have to disagree - this city has a lot to offer. You would have to say something like that if you are not from Boston - or you are here and simply having problems with how to have a good time.

Having been to both schools, Goto Tufts for sure!!! No questions. Both schools are good in terms of technology and all, but Tufts is so much better because of its patient pool, clinical experience, location (right in the city), and its a BIT cheaper than BU. How could you go wrong?

Dont choose BU solely because of their APEX program? Geez, they just made that up, because they know they are an expensive school, and that quality applicants were rejecting them because of this, so they needed to create a program to stand out from the other private dental schools. Why cram all you didactic work so you can work at a dental office all summer? Wouldnt you rather use that time for (a) more clinical experience, or (b) actual holiday time?

Also, among Bostonians, Tufts has the best reputation. Far exceeds BU. My parents have lived in Boston for 10 years, and the impression they got from lifelong Bostonians is that Tufts is by far the place for dentistry in Boston.

Fact:

My opinion:

Believe it or not. Boston is NOT that big of a city. THere is definitely competition for patients among the three dental schools there.
----
I did not have to share these tidbits but felt obligated to contribute for having learned much from other people's posts. Sort of...GIVE BACK WHAT YOU TAKE. So, don't attack me.

Wow, thanks for the INSIDE scoop. Whos your connection?? :rolleyes:

I dont know if you were joking, but everybody already knows this stuff.

Originally posted by avingupta
Tufts is by far the place for dentistry in Boston.

This is VERY true... if you have doubts - come see it yourself.

To those who were thinking Harvard! :p - Lets just say Harvard has some catching-up to do (realistically speaking).

Believe it or not. Boston is NOT that big of a city.

Now this I have to disagree - this city has a lot to offer. You would have to say something like that if you are not from Boston - or you are here and simply having problems with how to have a good time.

I think he was implying that Boston is not a big city population wise. Thus, with 3 dental schools within the city, the # of patients available to all 3 is not large. But since Tufts is centrally located within Boston, they have the biggest patient pool.

Don't forget all these posts are coming from Tufts students...do you smell bias?

I don't know why most Tufts students attack BU instead of fully promoting their own school. Listen, this isn't politics where you have to drag the competitors name in the mud so you can look good. Tufts is located in a better area of boston. They have better board scores. I don't think they a better patient pool, they may have the roughly the same number of people as BU. Tufts is more accessible than BU. But BU has a lot benefits too, APEX being one of them IMO. We obviously have cooler students ;)

To the guy who said the fact about the number of chairs BU has...it is true but I've spoken to many people and they rarely are not able to get a chair at the time they want. I doubt Tufts has enough chairs, afterall they have 30 more students in each class plus a lot of AS students...close to 400 students needing chairs.

I don't have time to sit around a promote my school or put down another one. One thing that I have to admit though, I'm only a first year so I don't know what's going on in upper classes personally only from what I ask. I can say I know a lot about first year though so PM me if you have any questions about BU.

I am not a Tufts Student... and I have seen enough to say (in my opinion) which is the better school.

Between BU and Tufts? I would go for Tufts anyday (for location, school atmosphere, clinical aspects, research and beyond).

Ask any Dentist in the Boston area... see if they are bias!

Pasha,

I just want to set the record straight. By my post, I didnt mean to put BU down. I was just stating that the issues brought up by Future D are well known, and really dont qualify as being "insider" info. Of course I dont know if those issues are true or false.

Dont choose BU solely because of their APEX program? Geez, they just made that up, because they know they are an expensive school, and that quality applicants were rejecting them because of this, so they needed to create a program to stand out from the other private dental schools.[/B]

SUCH A BS!!!!

NEXT TIME, JUST WATCH OUT WHAT YOU WRITE!

For instance, I goto one of the top universities in Canada and do chemistry. Im sure most of my professors are the top in the chemistry field, but that doesnt mean they are going to teach any better than someone from a less prestigous university. I dont think I got any advantage in my chemistry background because of this. Whereever you go, chemistry is chemistry.....just like with dentistry.

WHerever you go, dentistry is dentistry, regardless if your professor is the president of Crest or Dr. John Smith from Ohio!

So according to you, it really doesn't matter what school you go to. Right? Therefore, it shouldn't make a difference what school is better. Just like you said "(...) dentistry is dentistry, regardless (...)"

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Pasha,

I just want to set the record straight. By my post, I didnt mean to put BU down. I was just stating that the issues brought up by Future D are well known, and really dont qualify as being "insider" info. Of course I dont know if those issues are true or false.

I know, that's why I was careful to say most Tufts students, as opposed to all.

Don't forget all these posts are coming from Tufts students...do you smell bias?

Im not a Tufts student.....I went to both schools and I can say like Mo007 that Ive seen enough to confidently say that Tufts is the better choice by far.

So according to you, it really doesn't matter what school you go to. Right? Therefore, it shouldn't make a difference what school is better. Just like you said "(...) dentistry is dentistry, regardless (...)"

I never once stated or implied that a student from BU will be a bad dentist. All I was saying is that Tufts is the better school and you can goto Boston and ask any layperson on the street this, OR you could goto any professor of dentistry and ask them, and I will guarantee you that they will say Tufts is the better school....What do I gain by bashing BU?? Nothing...Im not even going to BU or Tufts. Im just telling the OP what I know, seen, and heard.

but regardless to where the OP chooses, they will have the DMD at the end of their name.

Da@@, I think i have started a war...LOL any ways i think that both schools are great, but i went with tufts, i sent in my deposit about a week ago. Thanks for your input everybody!

Originally posted by Quick Slvr
Da@@, I think i have started a war...LOL any ways i think that both schools are great, but i went with tufts, i sent in my deposit about a week ago. Thanks for your input everybody!

Arrest my case! :D

Both BU and Tufts are good schools, in fact all dental schools are good schools, it depends on what you want in a school. Why all the Apex bashing I'm not sure. Most schools don't even let you work in the clinic till the end of year 2 anyway. While BU students will be working and assisting in an office during the summer of year 1, tufts students will be studying general pathology and immunology. For me, I would rather be in the office than in the class room. Year 3 comes soon enough for full clinical time. I think getting a feel of the office environment, in more than a shadowing atmosphere, will be an excellent experience for me, but I won't say its better than sitting in a classroom for someone else.

Dental school is what you make of it. I'm not worried about better board scores either, I'll make sure that I do well and am not worried about others. I also feel like BU students are and will be more laid back then Tufts students(just a generalization, not intending for every tufts student), evident from many posts on SDN.

Fact:

-----
Tufts is not any better in this area than BU, in fact a new clinic just opened at BU. Go ask some dentaltown members about the tufts clinic.

My opinion:

-----
Practicing? General Path and Immunology at tufts, cleaning teeth at unc?. Ineffective? I'd rather be making future contacts and getting the dirty side of the BUSINESS, after all that is what it is, a business, and practice management cannot be taught well in a classroom.

Of course there is competition, and? BU students finish their requirements at the same rate as Tufts and Harvard.

----
I did not have to share these tidbits but felt obligated to contribute for having learned much from other people's posts. Sort of...GIVE BACK WHAT YOU TAKE???. So, don't attack me.

So you don't like the apex program and BU, who cares, tell us what you like about your own school? ???Give back what you take???

I also feel like BU students are and will be more laid back then Tufts students(just a generalization, not intending for every tufts student), evident from many posts on SDN.

What a stupid comment. I'm not here to bash you or your school, but get real.

This is silly. I am sure everyone has their own reasons to choose specific school. Just make the most out of it. It isn't really necessary to bash other schools or certain programs. Just my 2 cents.

My opinion:
-----
Practicing? General Path and Immunology at tufts, cleaning teeth at unc?. Ineffective? I'd rather be making future contacts and getting the dirty side of the BUSINESS, after all that is what it is, a business, and practice management cannot be taught well in a classroom.

I warn you again Radio. Dont expect your APEX dentist to put his/her arm around you and take the time to share all of the intricacies of running a dental practice. Time is money to these people, and just because you show up, wide-eyed, dont expect them to change their regular routine too much.

If this makes me uptight, as you so gracefully labeled all Tufts students as, then so be it.:rolleyes:

One more question, if this APEX program is so great as you think it is, then why dont more schools adopt it? Did you ever think of that?

While BU students will be working and assisting in an office during the summer of year 1, tufts students will be studying general pathology and immunology. I also feel like BU students are and will be more laid back then Tufts students

Ummm...I hate to break it to you, but BU students have to learn pathology and immunology as well. But instead of doing it in the summer, the curriculm at BU is crammed to make way of the all powerful APEX program.

and by the way....i have NO IDEA where you got the impression that Tufts students are not laid back. I dont know whose students would be more laid back, but I ask you this. If BU students are cramming all their didactic work within a shorter period of time than Tufts students, who do you think would be the more laid back students?

One more question, if this APEX program is so great as you think it is, then why dont more schools adopt it? Did you ever think of that?

Great point Ecks. Further proof of my theory that BU developed the program to differeniate themselves from other private schools.

And PashaJ, here is a quote that you once said to me on a thread I started:

"Now students don't get paid for their APEX rotations because of the "economy" and some dentists were taking advantage of the students (taking out the garbage...)."

Here is the link to the thread if you need it:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89512&highlight=APEX

Tufts is a paradise for many Californians who don't get in anywhere else :laugh:

guys which one TUFT or BU is better regarding speciality programmes both as clinical aspect and students number?

And PashaJ, here is a quote that you once said to me on a thread I started:

"Now students don't get paid for their APEX rotations because of the "economy" and some dentists were taking advantage of the students (taking out the garbage...)."

Here is the link to the thread if you need it:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89512&highlight=APEX

You're right so am I supposed to feel burned? I don't. I said some dentists but not all. Actually since I posted that 4 months ago I've learned a little more about APEX. All of these problems stemmed from the dentists that the students picked out and not the ones that the school handpicked. I'm probably going to have a good experience because the sponsoring dentist is a BU grad and the school picked him. It makes sense that these problems came up because the dentists didn't have any real idea what APEX was, all they knew was that a 1st year student called them up in December and asked if they could work there in the summer.

I'm not going to play the quoting game with anyone since I'm not here to make anyone look bad or hypocritical. I log on to answer some questions people have regarding BU.

What a stupid comment. I'm not here to bash you or your school, but get real.

I also feel like BU students are and will be more laid back then Tufts students(just a generalization, not intending for every tufts student), evident from many posts on SDN.
Originally posted by Ecks

If this makes me uptight, as you so gracefully labeled all Tufts students as, then so be it.

Never said all tufts students were uptight, read Generalization
I also never said that the apex program was sooo great, just think it will be good for me and my aspirations.

Never said all tufts students were uptight, read Generalization

I hate to be uptight about it, but doesnt a generalization towards anyone relfect the group as a whole?

BU-TUFTS rivalries are useless. You guys should focus on whats ahead of you in life, during and after dental school.

Tufts Rules! :horns:

i have said this once and I will say it again

I think i have started a war!hahahahahahhah but seroiusly, standards are not set by the school, but is set by each student, the higher a students standard the better he or she will do. you might be accepted to the best school, but if your standards are not high than no matter what school you go to you will come out as a crappy dentist. just my 3 cents hehehheehhe

I hate to be uptight about it, but doesnt a generalization towards anyone relfect the group as a whole?

Yes, and as a whole, from students I've talked to and posts that I've read on SDN, BU students are more laid back. There are a few exceptions.

Again try reading, I never said that any Tufts student or students were uptight!(never stated that word) But maybe I should have, I don't know.

Since we're talking about generalizations, how about this one. When comparing GPA and DAT scores, Tufts incoming students are on average a lot higher on both than BU students. So I guess that means that Tufts students are smarter than BU students, and unlike radiohead, I at least have proof to back up my generalizations.

Ecks....I am SO HAPPY that TUFTS students are NERDS!!!

Now get over this whole issue and enjoy life!

Originally posted by Mo007
BU-TUFTS rivalries are useless. You guys should focus on whats ahead of you in life, during and after dental school.

Tufts Rules! :horns:

You just defeated the point of your post with the last bit:D

Since we're talking about generalizations, how about this one. When comparing GPA and DAT scores, Tufts incoming students are on average a lot higher on both than BU students. So I guess that means that Tufts students are smarter than BU students, and unlike radiohead, I at least have proof to back up my generalizations.

Check your stats, last I looked BU had better DAT scores.

Quite frankly I think that Tufts is the more appropriate school for my needs from my tour of both schools, however the numbers I have don't support your conclusion.

This is what I have:

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

The numbers tally closely with information on the Tufts website, but I couldn't find any information on the BU website.