BU or TUFTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by hopefulgirl
I am SO HAPPY that TUFTS students are NERDS!!!

You just lost yourself a concert buddy!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

You are an exception.....you like Metallica!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Those numbers are a joke, don't believe them or base any decisions off them.

The stats for "University of Nevada Los Angeles" are my favorite.

Sure there was a typo, but they are close enough in the case of Tufts U, to be a different year's statistic than what the Tufts website has. However we don't readily have a way to verify BU's stats.

Originally posted by toothlord
guys which one TUFT or BU is better regarding speciality programmes both as clinical aspect and students number?

bu is known for having better specialty training. ( and i goto tufts).

Originally posted by sxr71
Sure there was a typo, but they are close enough in the case of Tufts U, to be a different year's statistic than what the Tufts website has. However we don't readily have a way to verify BU's stats.

I based my post on the book that the ADEA published.

admit it.....bu is for rejects......if you have money you'll get in....all the school wants is your cash.......it's kinda sad....it is this kind of school that brings the level of standard for dental students down.

Originally posted by makebuleeve
admit it.....bu is for rejects......if you have money you'll get in....all the school wants is your cash.......it's kinda sad....it is this kind of school that brings the level of standard for dental students down.

Except that actually TUFTs has the higher first year billable costs not including health insurance at either school or the computer at BU.

Take a look:

http://www.tufts.edu/dental/student_services/financial_aid/cost.html

http://dentalschool.bu.edu/bulletin/Bulletin-DMD.html

It's nice of you to offer your opinion, however.

Well I guess I am the exception to this whole Tufts vs. BU issue, but here is what happened with me...
I applied to both schools, and BU has NOT even gotten back to me about an interview or sent me any type of letter since I've sent in my money (which was back in November). I talked to Dean Shaw, and she basically told me to retake the DAT's. However..it is important to note than my dad is an alumni of the dental school and used to donate money to them.
Well I didnt retake the DAT's because I was getting interviews at lots of other schools, including Tufts, where I got accepted.
So go figure..my DAT's weren't great (average), but I have a good GPA, great experiences, and went to a very good undergrad school.
So looks like Tufts looked at the more all around, BU was being very picky, in my opinion.
But Im very happy with how my situation turned out..and it is totally their loss because there is no way my family is donating any more $$ after the way they handled the situation.
And by the way...I would definetly like to disprove the theory that Tufts students are nerds, because (if i go there) I certainly am not!

Except that actually TUFTs has the higher first year billable costs not including health insurance at either school or the computer at BU.

It's nice of you to offer your opinion, however.

Why wouldnt you add the cost of the computer?? BU requires that you have it.

Its nice of you to offer your opinion too.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Why wouldnt you add the cost of the computer?? BU requires that you have it.

Its nice of you to offer your opinion too.

Here's the thing, whatever school I go to, I'm still going to buy an IBM Thinkpad T41. So a $2500 dollar computer is in the works no matter which school I go to.

Even if you added the cost of the computer (which is an added value any way you look at it) the difference might be $1000 if that. You can't say that one school is ripping people off and that the only reason people get in there is because they are "buying" their admission over a $1000 difference. It is quite riduculous to suggest that because a school costs $1000 more (even if you really think you'll never use the computer - which isn't true) that they are giving away acceptances to people who have nothing but the money to bribe their way into a dental school admission and hence lowering the standard of the dental profession as a whole. If the school cost $10,000 more and had lower stats then maybe people can consider that notion. Recognize that both must be true for a rational person to make or support such a ridiculous accusation.

BTW, it is important to recognise the difference between fact and opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the school which will train you to be the most competent dentist right after dental school. In other words, go to the one which requires the most out of its students. You may have to work harder in dental school but it will pay off later. On a side note, I know someone who graduated from Boston in 1998 and only completed 9 units of fixed crowns. However, all of them were single units (no bridges). The only bridge that she completed was on a typodont. This is only one person so I do not know if this is the norm.

BTW, it is important to recognise the difference between fact and opinion.

The fact is that not all tufts students will buy a brand new compter before dental school. Just because you plan to buy one doesnt mean you should negate the cost of the computer, just so it looks like BU is cheaper than Tufts. That is your case, not everyone elses.

I do agree with the rest of you post.

Originally posted by Ecks
The fact is that not all tufts students will buy a brand new compter before dental school. Just because you plan to buy one doesnt mean you should negate the cost of the computer, just so it looks like BU is cheaper than Tufts. That is your case, not everyone elses.

I do agree with the rest of you post.

The material point of my post is that the difference is quite an immaterial amount relative to the cost of the tuition either way you look at it. You could look at the situation as BU being the more expensive or Tufts being the more expensive depending on your viewpoint about that computer (which I still contend adds value worth it's purchase price in BU's chosen curriculum - I saw dozens of people working on their laptops when I was there).

Even if you don't feel that $1000 is a relatively immaterial amount to the approx $45,000 in first year billable expenses, it still is nowhere near close enough to contend that either school is offering acceptances for money when the other is not.

The rationale behind why I didn't include the laptop in the figures is because you can't include the (entire) cost of the computer to support this statement that I was responding to:

"if you have money you'll get in....all the school wants is your cash."

The reason for this is that you are paying $2500 for what is likely a $3000 retail machine with a minimum wholesale price of $2200. So if the school is receiving favors from selling these machines then it might be to the tune of $300 at most. You are still getting a product worth $2200 at a minimum and the school gets at most an extra $300 of "your cash." So when you look at what the schools get to keep of "your cash," Tufts still gets to keep a bit more. Again the difference is immaterial, and does not imply that "if you have money you'll get in...." at either school.

sxr,

you are getting waaaaay too technical with this computer thing. I agree with you that the comment made earlier about buying your way into the profession is stupid.

On another note, I emailed BU 3 days ago to ask what their class of 2007 avg gpa and dat scores were. I have yet to recieve a reply. Does anyone know?

Originally posted by Ecks
sxr,

you are getting waaaaay too technical with this computer thing. I agree with you that the comment made earlier about buying your way into the profession is stupid.

On another note, I emailed BU 3 days ago to ask what their class of 2007 avg gpa and dat scores were. I have yet to recieve a reply. Does anyone know?

I'm not the one that brought up the computer, somebody asked me why I didn't include the computer, and you used the cost of the computer to state that Tufts would be cheaper than BU.

The problem arose when I used the term "billable expenses" when I really meant "your cash (that the school wants)" - which was the term I was responding to.

I'm going to e-mail BU and try to get a response also (since I don't have the ADEA book).

EDIT: Personally, if I had to choose I would go with Tufts for my needs, but I think that BU is also a good school. I've actually stated this already in this thread.

So which school should I pick after all this commotion? :D

Originally posted by rezzdogg
So which school should I pick after all this commotion? :D

Flip a coin:idea:

pick > The school U Find Truly Special :D

So which school should I pick after all this commotion?

hey rezzdog...long time no talk...so Im assuming that you liked your Tufts and BU interviews, eh!

Anyways, you already know my opinion on this. I think both schools are great, but Tufts is far better....But if you dont believe me, ask people in the dental field, and you will see that the reputation at Tufts is much better than BU....dont take my word (or any other word from other SDNers for that matter)....go and ask dentists/professors yourself and see.....Tufts will be the better choice by far.

BY the way, has anyone ever met someone that chose BU, when they had the choice of Tufts?

Originally posted by avingupta

BY the way, has anyone ever met someone that chose BU, when they had the choice of Tufts?

I have. Met her at my BU interview.

^^^ Did she give a reason?

No specific reason, no. She just said that BU felt like the school for her. Since I didn't apply at Tufts, I didn't ask her why. :D It all comes down to what each person is looking for in a school, really.

Tasha

Originally posted by Mo007
pick > The school U Find Truly Special :D

Haha, I'm sensing someone is Pro-TUFTS. :p

In my neck of the woods I hear more about Tufts being a good school than BU being a good school. Not that BU is bad, but it seems Tufts gets more recognition.

So what does more recognition mean? People say that they are both great schools yet TUFTS is more well known. What is it about the school that makes it well known?

Originally posted by rezzdogg
So what does more recognition mean? People say that they are both great schools yet TUFTS is more well known. What is it about the school that makes it well known?

I hear people acknowledging Tufts as being a good school than BU. Not to say that BU is bad but Tufts is being talked about more than BU.

I did meet some grads from both schools and Tufts grad have impressed me more than BU grads(of course this is such a tiny sampling that it could be easily dismissed as freak accident).

Hey all,

I see too many of these Tufts vs. BU threads that end up being slanted towards the Tufts side. I'm a 3rd year Tufts student and while it's not a bad school, it's not as peachy as everyone makes it out to be. Especially since most of the people who post here are in their first year and first year is actually a pretty good year.

Read my post in the following thread. I can't speak for BU students as I don't go there (despite the fact that I know a number of students, and all of the ones I know find the APEX program useless for a variety of reasons.. but namely because they aren't getting as much out of it as they originally thought they would).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93098

I hope this helps anyone else on the cusp (ahahahah) of choosing what program to enter.

Regards,
Mo.

Yeah, what's with NYU and BU:rolleyes:

It's like a subtle way of bashing BU and NYU.:oops:

What is good about them. I heard of APEX at BU.

Originally posted by rajkang
Initially, I was also thinking that BU is ripping off students but now after having paid that money I think BU students are getting good deal for all the services they get with the laptop.
Laptop actually cost less than $2500. And the reason BU charges u this money is not just for the laptop. They give u laptop training and software to prepare for NDBE exams etc. They also give u lots of accessories, like blank CD pack, laptop bag or case etc. And finally 3 years of full warranty. If ur laptop breaks down they give u a loaner on the spot while they fix it. With all these services, I dont think BU is making any money on laptops.

It's gone down to $2375 this year, and if it's a top of the line T41, then it's an excellent deal.

I talked to the computer services guy at BU and he said that the class of 2008 will be getting an IBM T42, which apparently isn't even on the market yet.

Does BU only charge for the notebooks only the 1st year? and the following years' tuitions are slightly lower than the 1st year?

The laptop fee is only for the 1st year, however, tuition goes up about $500 for the second year because of projected increases in tuition and fees, health insurance, room and board, personal expenses, transportation, and an extra board exam fee. Without the projected increases, the only new fee is the $125 board exam fee.

Projected increase? what projected increase? :laugh:

Like inflation maybe. Other schools (Tufts included) ask you to assume around 5% annual increases in tuition and living.

i just want to toss in something that some of you might need to consider when picking BU or Tufts, is the number of students at each school. BU has about 110 to 115 per incoming class. Tufts I believe take about 135-145. This might be a significant number when it comes to getting a lab station, chair, etc. So far most students I talk to at BU haven't had this problem with spaces and such. I don't think this is a problem at Tufts per say, but i know some students prefer a smaller class, so just another thought to toss in there.

From reading past posts on BU, one of the main complaints is that BU students have to fight for chair space. I dont know about Tufts, but I know in preclinical, there is one station for everybody, cause each class is divided into two and they rotate.

And honestly, is there is a big difference between 115 students and 145 students?

avingupta said:
From reading past posts on BU, one of the main complaints is that BU students have to fight for chair space. I dont know about Tufts, but I know in preclinical, there is one station for everybody, cause each class is divided into two and they rotate.

And honestly, is there is a big difference between 115 students and 145 students?

Well, BU has a spanking new clinic floor, so space isn't an issue, perhaps in the past, but I am not sure about that, bc I haven't heard about it myself. The new clinic floor on the 6th floor is very nice.

Preclinical sim lab also has enough space for everyone, so class isn't divided into two sessions like some other schools.

Well, a difference in 30 students can be an issue when it comes to some classes like gross anatomy when you work on cadavers, or micro labs, some other lab stuff, trust me it can get crowded and waiting in line to be graded, for materials, etc... But again, some students dont care about that, some do.

:)

There are 2 preclinical sim areas at BU, one where the professor professes and the so called '"slacker room". Count me in as a slacker. Anyone else want to join the slacker room, Westside, Gatorfan, hopefulgirl, Bebe? We'll have a blast, maybe bring some drinks. I know we make use of those drill thingies for our drinking games!

Radioheadblue said:
There are 2 preclinical sim areas at BU, one where the professor professes and the so called '"slacker room". Count me in as a slacker. Anyone else want to join the slacker room, Westside, Gatorfan, hopefulgirl, Bebe? We'll have a blast, maybe bring some drinks. I know we make use of those drill thingies for our drinking games!

righttttttttt

fyi

they assign a seat, you dont get to choose...

no food or drinks in the lab...

not to burst your bubble........

hehe

Assigned seating? What kind of ****e is that? Are you sure Westside? The student tour guide, Chandan? said to be careful where we choose to sit, because that will be our seat for the following years.

assigned seating but you could probably switch.

I am a first year student at BU, and I don't know where these people heard this misleading info, but I know for sure that many upperclassmen do not have problems getting chairs. I assisted upper classmen several times this year on the clinic floor, and none of them said they have problems getting chairs. Also when you see patients scheduled after 5 pm, i noticed some of the chairs were even empty. Maybe it's because BU opened up a new clinic floor this year, and it is really nice, believe me.

Radioheadblue said:
Assigned seating? What kind of ****e is that? Are you sure Westside? The student tour guide, Chandan? said to be careful where we choose to sit, because that will be our seat for the following years.

uh,yea, ya bet...
It's called school policy, if a station is damaged, they will know which Sh*thead was drunk and left a mess or puked there.

ugh, i am done giving free info

Sh**

Originally posted by Westside22
uh,yea, ya bet...
It's called school policy, if a station is damaged, they will know which Sh*thead was drunk and left a mess or puked there.

ugh, i am done giving free info

Sh**

well, uh, lets see, how about I pick the seat I want to sit in permanently, then they will know what "Sh*thead" left a mess there.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I think he was implying that Boston is not a big city population wise. Thus, with 3 dental schools within the city, the # of patients available to all 3 is not large. But since Tufts is centrally located within Boston, they have the biggest patient pool.

hi doctor, i would like to know when r you travelling to india- n where in india,
would like to get some career oriented study tips (for post grad in US)
Let me know.