BU, Tufts, or Umass MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

419rose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have been accepted for Fall 2017 MPH to BU, UMass, and Tufts (trying to stay in Massachusetts.) I am leaning towards BU over Tufts as BU seems to have more resources. BU has given me a merit based scholarship but UMass is still significantly cheaper. I know BU is ranked in top ten and UMass in like 24. Can anyone speak to any of these options it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Any chance you could attend an admitted students day at each of the schools? A lot of people on this forum seem to have gotten a good view of what the schools are like from admitted students days, so I think this would probably be helpful to you in figuring out where you see yourself!

I didn't apply to UMass so I can't speak to their program, but I know that I decided BU over Tufts because the Tufts program seemed less "customizable" and more geared towards people who are interested in pursuing further medical training since the MPH program is housed in the School of Medicine. I also was not as enthused with the perceived lack of community involvement at Tufts, and BU seems much more active in the community. Of course, this is just my perception of the program at Tufts, and frankly, it could be exactly what you're looking for. But as someone who isn't planning to pursue further training in the medical field and desires a great deal of community involvement, BU made more sense for me over Tufts.

As for rankings, I think the general consensus is that the US News rankings are not the best metric by which to decide where to go. I think that fit is definitely a much greater factor. If you feel more at home at UMass and feel that you have the tools to succeed there, then I would pick UMass. You definitely want to be happy with wherever you end up!

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you're really deciding on BU vs. UMass. Do you want to live in Central Mass or in Boston? That's a huge factor to consider. BU is going to have more resources and serve a bigger community just based on location.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am between BU and Tufts as well! Leaning towards BU right now...

when did you hear back from UMASS? I'm still waiting from them and I've tried calling and asking with no avail, super frustrating.

I heard back the end of February, but yeah I have tried to reach out to them about a few things and haven't gotten speedy responses. I don't think the admin part of the school has it that together
when did you hear back from UMASS? I'm still waiting from them and I've tried calling and asking with no avail, super frustrating.

Thanks for you input guys! Super helpful. Yeah, I think for me it's down to BU and UMass. I've been really impressed with BU so far (more so than tufts), and UMass has some really great women's health professors (which I am interested in) and it significantly cheaper for in state though the location isn't great. I also applied to UMD but I haven't heard back yet.