budget question - food expense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to hash out my budget for first year. how much $$$ do you guys generally spend on food a month, esp if you're into fitness/weight training?

I eat very simple fitness-y meals, like chicken, rice, pasta, beans... nothing fancy. would be great if anyone has some specific budgetary insight :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That’s gonna vary a ton. You can scrape by at food lion and not eat out at all or ball out on Whole Foods and takeout and drain your loans pretty quick. So really it’s up to you

Last edited:
I spend 80/wk including takeout, so 320 per month and that feeds a family of three with one more in the oven. For reference that’s in Omaha NE. The key is to not waste money on stupid stuff that you can get for free like coffee or tea, our school has this in our student lounge for example. I also have classmates that go out drinking quite often and go to the fancy downtown restaurants so I am sure they spend more.

Members don't see this ad :)
No specifics for you as it varies widely across the country, but if you buy your basics in bulk every couple of weeks from Costco/Sams and meal prep, you’ll probably save a good bit of money and time.

It will depend on your eating habits and how much you want to cook. My family of 3 spends about $100 a week on food but we don’t eat out more than 2x a month. We do buy higher end meat and veggies so we could spend less but it is a worth it expense. Definitely look into couponing apps like Ibotta and checkout51 to save some cash

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

trying to hash out my budget for first year. how much $$$ do you guys generally spend on food a month, esp if you're into fitness/weight training?

I eat very simple fitness-y meals, like chicken, rice, pasta, beans... nothing fancy. would be great if anyone has some specific budgetary insight :)
rice, chicken, eggs, peanut butter are all cheap and buy in bulk. Things like fruits/vege vary. I lived in nyc for med school so I could always hit up different grocery stores/ street vendors which kept me within budget. Beans are a good substitute too. As other mentioned, depends on what store you go to as well.

Reactions: 1 user