Buffalo Housing: Off or On-campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tothepark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will be starting dental school at Buffalo this Fall. Out of curiositiy what is the best option for 1st year students in terms of convenience, finances, and comfort. I looked around and found nice "communities" off-campus from 500-800$ that come fully furnished, include utilities, etc. These tend to be further away from campus (15-20min drive). Would it better to live closer to the school off-campus (rooms in houses), sharing, etc for 400-600$. OR would living on campus be the best option 600-800? Personally, I am not a big fan of having roommates because I have had very bad experiences during undergrad.

Any suggestions, advice, and opinions appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I will be starting dental school at Buffalo this Fall. Out of curiositiy what is the best option for 1st year students in terms of convenience, finances, and comfort. I looked around and found nice "communities" off-campus from 500-800$ that come fully furnished, include utilities, etc. These tend to be further away from campus (15-20min drive). Would it better to live closer to the school off-campus (rooms in houses), sharing, etc for 400-600$. OR would living on campus be the best option 600-800? Personally, I am not a big fan of having roommates because I have had very bad experiences during undergrad.

Any suggestions, advice, and opinions appreciated!

I would live off-campus to save money. If you're not staying in a fancy living complex a 2bd apt should be around 900 to 1k a month with heat included. This way you get 1 roommate and split it to 450 a month. Studios or 1bdrooms run from 600 to 700. so you're almost paying another 50% to live alone. Is it worth it? Depending on your situation. Amherst is supposed to be the best area to live and its only a few miles from UB South.

When you're referring to "on-campus", are you talking about living on South Campus? I think all of my classmates that live "on-campus" live on North Campus which is 15-20minutes away and not any more convenient than any other apartment around school. I know there are a few places to live on South Campus but I think they may only be undergraduate dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're referring to "on-campus", are you talking about living on South Campus? I think all of my classmates that live "on-campus" live on North Campus which is 15-20minutes away and not any more convenient than any other apartment around school. I know there are a few places to live on South Campus but I think they may only be undergraduate dorms.

Yea, I meant the graduate housing available around North Campus.. but I was thinking for that price might as well pay a little more and live in Collegiate Village. Collegiate Village seems really nice, but on the expensive side. Personally, I feel like I should indulge in housing my first two years, when its a little rough.. whats your take?

A bunch of my classmates live in Collegiate Village. If you're interested in some social life surrounding where you live, it's probably the best place to live while in dental school. I've gone to a few dinner parties there and a bunch of dental students just walked over from their apartments. It is definitely expensive though and it is located in a bad area. The complex is fenced off with a guard but anybody can jump the fence and it's been left open every time I have visited somebody there. It's pretty funny when I have to show my ID at the gate and then I can just drive out through the fence on the other side of the complex.

I live in Amherst and am very happy there. It's safe, nice and a very short drive from school.

If you haven't asked already, you'll get a lot of feedback about Collegiate Village if you post a question on the Class of 2015 FB page.