Buffalo School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuri

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Are there any one from 2006 Buffalo Dental class?
Congratulations!
Did you start to look for housing yet?
I need some advise in this matter.
All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SUNY Buffalo! I am currently a student there. What follows is a list out of the freshmen guide stuff you will get at orientation.

Locating the Correct Apartment
Finding the correct apartment for you needs is not an easy task when you aren't from Buffalo, NY. Here are some phone numbers of apartment complexes
that some students currently live in:
1. Triad Apartments- #716-688-4503
2. Campus Manor- #716-839-3400
3. Boulevard Tower Apartments- Business #716-836-6832; rent # 716-836-6861
4. Beechwood Apartments- #716-634-1224
5. Delta Gardent Apartments- #716-831-7097, contact: Wilma
*6. Camelot Court- #716-836-0765
*7. Princeton Apartments- #716-835-1914
8. University Court
9. Amherst Manor

*denotes walking distance to the Dental School

If you don't live within walking distance of the school, you must have a car because public transportation isn't very accomodating to the schedule at the dental school.

griffin04,
Thanks so much for the housing info. Do you have other suggestions for out of towners like me? Camelot Court is 4 blocks away from the South Campus and is quite a bit of walking in the winter if you don't have a car. Princeton apts also seem to be quite far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice for out-of-towners? BRING A CAR!!!!!!! If you insist on not having a car, the closest places I can think of is University Court (I can't find a # for them) or renting a floor or room in a house on a street nearby - Winspear, Minnesota, Springville, Lisbon come to mind. There are also dorms on the South campus right across from the dental school, but these are full of undergrads. You can live there, but I don't know any grad students that do. I know of students who walked from Princeton or Camelot Court, but that was during the fall when it is still nice out. However, I have NEVER walked anywhere in Buffalo or its suburbs (and I have live here a LONG time).

Maybe it is difficult for you to picture life without a car. Say you live close to school and walk everyday. Once it gets cold (around November), you won't want to walk. Once it snows, you will find crossing streets difficult because the snow can pile up at corners and the cars can't always see over the piles to know there are pedestrians. People don't always clean their sidewalks, many parts don't even have sidewalks. When you get tired of studying and feel like having a life, you will be limited to the one shopping plaza near south campus consisting of a supermarket and some fast food restaurants. The subway in Buffalo goes NOWHERE and I don't even know how to take a bus to go anywhere. The buses don't even cover all of the areas in the suburbs where a lot of the shopping plazas are and where many of your classmates will live. You will feel trapped.

Even in school, sometimes you may want to go home after a full day of class (8 - 4 or 5) and return later to do labwork. You won't want to walk outside several times a day to do this.

I don't mean to scare you or sound negative, but the few people in my class from the west coast who came to dental school without cars when we began, all bought cars within a few months of our first year. This just isn't a pedestrian-friendly city.

Housing isn't in very hard to find and the cost of living is cheap here. You don't have to search for months or be put on wait lists, you will find something.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Thank you so much griffin04, your info is most helpful!