Building a tolerance for blood/injuries

Started by JPSmyth
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JPSmyth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a premedical student, and I am positive that I want to become a doctor. However, I have been told by my uncle who is a lieutenant for the NYPD that I couldn't handle seeing the injuries that I would encounter over the years. I have been watching Boston Med, and other videos to try to get a sense of what I would encounter, and trying to build up a stomach for blood. While on a camping trip this weekend my friend cut his finger really deep, and I was able to stand that fine. However, I tried to watch a hip reduction on youtube and x'ed out the second I clicked it. (This is because I dislocated my hip once before). So my questions, what were some of the hardest things for you guys to handle during med school/residency? Blood isn't too bad for me, but broken bones/dislocations and things of that nature seem to be a bit worse, did you have to pop a hip/shoulder back into place during your time as an intern or anything? Do you think that I will be able to overcome this fear?
 
I am currently a premedical student, and I am positive that I want to become a doctor. However, I have been told by my uncle who is a lieutenant for the NYPD that I couldn't handle seeing the injuries that I would encounter over the years. I have been watching Boston Med, and other videos to try to get a sense of what I would encounter, and trying to build up a stomach for blood. While on a camping trip this weekend my friend cut his finger really deep, and I was able to stand that fine. However, I tried to watch a hip reduction on youtube and x'ed out the second I clicked it. (This is because I dislocated my hip once before). So my questions, what were some of the hardest things for you guys to handle during med school/residency? Blood isn't too bad for me, but broken bones/dislocations and things of that nature seem to be a bit worse, did you have to pop a hip/shoulder back into place during your time as an intern or anything? Do you think that I will be able to overcome this fear?

I have the same weirdness about bones. It goes away with continued exposure. I watched an above knee amputation the other day (talk about gore) and it didn't even phase me. To put this in relative terms, a few months prior even a simple surgery made me feel icky.

However, I still need to figure out how to get over my extreme disgust of fecal matter. Oh man, I can't even begin to deal with it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the same weirdness about bones. It goes away with continued exposure. I watched an above knee amputation the other day (talk about gore) and it didn't even phase me. To put this in relative terms, a few months prior even a simple surgery made me feel icky.

However, I still need to figure out how to get over my extreme disgust of fecal matter. Oh man, I can't even begin to deal with it.

Have a kid or two. You won't even think about it after a month~ (or I suppose you could become a CNA for the slightly cheaper option 😉 )
 
if you want to expose yourself to graphic medical-related things, go to youtube.com. And be sure to watch closely when getting your blood tested. 😉
 
If you want to build a tolerance for blood, you need to see blood. Figure out the rest...
 
I don't think watching videos really prepares you for what it is really like sometimes...

During my first day of training at a job where I would be dissecting knee tissue/cartilage/bone from knee replacement surgical discards I gagged the entire time and had to hold back tears because I never thought I would be able to do the job. Two weeks later I am sitting at the bench chopping the **** out of those patellas and searing flesh like nobody's business. 🙂 I think it is something you get used to fairly quickly when you are continuously exposed to it.
 
I have the same weirdness about bones. It goes away with continued exposure. I watched an above knee amputation the other day (talk about gore) and it didn't even phase me. To put this in relative terms, a few months prior even a simple surgery made me feel icky.

However, I still need to figure out how to get over my extreme disgust of fecal matter. Oh man, I can't even begin to deal with it.

Or puke. Sheesh. Not even four years of college prepared me for that. 😉
 
Certain things are more difficult for some people to get used to. I can deal with doo-doo no problem, and blood doesn't bother me, but I almost fainted once watching a nurse pack a Stage IV pressure ulcer the size of my fist. You get used to stuff after exposure, and no one will hold it against you if you have to run away to erp up your lunch or put your head between your knees. They might laugh a little, but they'll understand.