Burned-out and Scared....will I get in? I need your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my name is Sofia and I am currently a junior Biology/pre-med major, minoring in Chemistry and Medical Humanities at Baylor University (Texas).
I just wanted to get your opinion on my statistics because I am afraid I'm not good enough of a candidate for Medical School, but I want the opinion of people either already accepted, or in med school, or admission experts:

-US Permanent Resident (since 3 years ago)
-I moved to the US 4 years ago with my family (my dad is an American) from Mexico. I only had 2 years of high school in the US and therefore not much experience with American Med School requirements, I've learned as I go.
-Therefore, I'm an underrepresented minority.
-Cumulative GPA 3.62
-BCPM GPA 3.0 (a C in Chem 1 and a D in chem 2, both from freshman year; I retook Chem 2 and made a B+ the second time around). I'm averaging the D into the science GPA. If not for these two my GPA would be much higher.
-Hospital volunteer for 1 year. (2-3 hrs/week)
-cafeteria worker/to Cashier/to Marketing Assistant with my school's dining services, for all my undergraduate years, 3 years, (avg of 10-12 hrs/week).
-Hall Leadership Team in my dormitory for 2 years (1 to 3 hrs a wk, depending on activities/meetings).
-NSCS (National Society of Collegiate Scholars) for 1 year (must do at least 3 meetings a semester, 2 social activities, 10 hrs of volunteer service, a semester).
-100% Bilingual, Spanish-English.
-my summer following freshman year I spent working at a department store (30 hrs/ week or so), because I needed the money.
-Intern at East Side Medical Center (El Paso, TX) for summer 2005. I worked (without pay) 20 hrs/week. I received training as a Medical Assistant, and was allowed to vital patients, do lab exams such as urinalysis, ekg's, audio exams, vision exams, etc. I also spent my days following a PA around the clinic. I saw many physical exams, plus consultations with the patients.

It's junior year and the pressure is starting to build up, I'm taking my MCATs next semester and hope to do well. (at least a 25, but hopefully 30+). I have never taken summer school (I have not been able to afford it) and I have never taken less than 16 hours a semester. For the last two semesters I have taken 3 science classes plus 3 laboratories at the same time, plus my humanities/english/social science classes, and working, and I have done well in my grades.

so, what do you think, do i have good chances in Texas?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes, your chances are good, but you've got to do well on the mcat. Your science gpa is kind of a red flag, but your overall gpa is strong. You're an urm, and that does count for a lot. I would say do really well in your classes this year then nail the mcat. Get great letters of recommendation and make sure that everything else in your application is strong, including your ps.

It's hard to say if anyone will get in during this very random process. All I can say is, do your best and hope for the best; cheesy, I know. But good luck.

I don't think there is one ideal type of candidate. If you don't believe in your abilities, then no one else will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good stuff. You've definitely got a chance!

Thanks you guys!

Anyone else, there's many of you out there!

omg, please please stop these nonsense posts....... in a good way, of course.

your stats are fine. you will kick ass on your mcat.

your background and activties are phenomenal.

just chill out. apply as a disadvantaged or URM and u will get in everywhere u apply. trust me.

if you get higher or even around 30 in your MCAT, and if you are not planning on applying to only the top 30 or so med schools, you will get in (to at least one school).

Relax! and :luck:

You certainly have a chance. Do as well as possible on the mcat. Study for it. Read and do practice questions. Try to establish as much repoire as possible with your professors so that you can get nice letters. When it comes time to apply, apply very broadly and do not limit yourself to one region.

When you write your personal statement for AMCAS, make sure to include your unique experiences and explain your circumstances but be concise and interesting. Get input from other people about your personal statement.

Keep a positive attitude. Do not feel defeated even before you start the process.

Would you qualify as a URM?

It's good that you're a URM. They'll like your background with Mexico. My advice is to do everything you can to get your MCAT score at 30 or higher. I was scoring about 26-29 approaching April, so I postponed taking the MCAT until August and studied 10 hours/day until August. I got a 32 and I'm now in med school. FYI - The average accepted med student has a GPA of 3.5 and a MCAT of 30. If one number is lower, you want the other number higher. I'd say your MCAT needs to be high to make up for the lower BCPM. URM status will help, but I'm not sure how much. Hope this helps...

From what I've read, I get the impression that you are a very hard worker, and I think you stand a fair shot at it. The URM status may help, but even without it, you have a solid profile there. Your medical / patient contact looks great and the GPA's good, although the science is sorta weak. Retaking the D was a good move, maybe try to fit in a few more sciences and earn A's in those. A high score in the science sections of the MCAT will help a lot.

Good luck to you!

Looks ok to me.

Here is some Baylor specific advise:
The MCAT review offered by AED in the Spring is really good and really cheap. They use Kaplan books. I highly recommend saving yourself a whole lot of money. Good luck on the MCAT.

thank you everyone for your advice! to answer some of you, I have actually not gotten another C since freshman year (or D, lol), and I am taking more advanced classes before my MCAT, like cell phys and biochem next semester, and hopefully they will help. I will probably end up with A's in genetics and physics this semester, so it's all good. I really need to get studying for my ACS (YUCK, AND MAJOR YUCK :eek: !!!) final in organic chemistry, which I have been procrastinating on the whole semester.
Thank you!! :love: