Burning bridges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamagirl16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a job interview as a Veterinary Assistant on thursday morning, but I am currently a part-time kennel tech and have been since March this year. I have around 700+ animal hours there, and I feel bad just going in for this interview. I was wondering what your ideas were on preventing burning bridges if I do get offered this vet assistant job? They're both part-time, but if the hours conflict I feel like I should take the veterinary assistant job and leave my other job.

Update: I got the job, so we'll see how it goes. I'm working both the kennel and tech job for now. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, don't feel bad for going to that interview. You are just going and seeing your options and what other opportunities are out there.
Secondly, you SHOULD communicate to your potential employer that you are currently employed and would need to give a 2 weeks notice. If offered the new position and if you are set on accepting the offer, I would write a letter of resignation to your current employer. If you're still on the fence, I would speak to your current employer and let them know that an opportunity presented itself.
You should not have to feel bad about "burning bridges." As long as you do everything professionally and leave on good terms you should be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, don't feel bad for going to that interview. You are just going and seeing your options and what other opportunities are out there.
Secondly, you SHOULD communicate to your potential employer that you are currently employed and would need to give a 2 weeks notice. If offered the new position and if you are set on accepting the offer, I would write a letter of resignation to your current employer. If you're still on the fence, I would speak to your current employer and let them know that an opportunity presented itself.
You should not have to feel bad about "burning bridges." As long as you do everything professionally and leave on good terms you should be fine.

It's ok to explore your options. I agree with the above that should let the prospective employer know you would need to give previous job two weeks notice.

If you are offered the job give your notice and explain that although you've enjoyed working with them (etc) you have an opportunity to get more in depth experience doing the new job. They may just wish you well or may counter offer. Work hard up to your very last day and don't bad mouth a previous employer ( not that you would) you're not burning bridges by leaving it's what you do after your notice had been given that could burn bridges.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My only advice is be reasonably transparent. You need to further your career, so absolutely you should interview for the job if you feel it is the best long-term move.

If you end up leaving, just give your current employer whatever the expected notice is (2+ weeks, typically). Stay transparent, be honest, and even if you disappoint them you won't burn a bridge.

Reactions: 2 users
My only advice is be reasonably transparent. You need to further your career, so absolutely you should interview for the job if you feel it is the best long-term move.

If you end up leaving, just give your current employer whatever the expected notice is (2+ weeks, typically). Stay transparent, be honest, and even if you disappoint them you won't burn a bridge.
QFT. Just leaving a job isn't necessarily burning a bridge if it's done maturely and transparently. We've had some people leave because they wanted a different opportunity or a different role, and it was fine. Inform your current employer of your plans, give them notice to find someone new. Heck, if you're at a clinic, maybe they'll even offer to move you into a different role in order to keep you if you're a good employee. As long as you don't scream "PEACE OUT MOTHER****ERS" then you won't burn a bridge just by leaving if you do it properly. And if they are super snotty or childish about you leaving, well, it probably wasn't a place you wanted to stay anyway.

Reactions: 1 users