Business & science

Eare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to major in business and minor in Biology, Would this make a difference when applying for medical school? FWI I want to get my M.D/MBA

Members don't see this ad.

for the thousandth time: it doesn't matter what your major is when you apply to medical school.

however, for business school admissions, you generally don't want to major in business. recommended majors are engineering, math, economics, or anything highly quantitative.

Any major will do. In fact, you may be at an advantage doing a non-bio major.

Have you also considered the PharmD/MBA? A few of my friends are going through this program now vs. the MD/MBA to save a few years out of school. Also, in the business world, PharmD is a respected Doctorate degree, albeit still 'lower' than the MD. If you are going to work for a company, this would be a lower salary, but if you are going to run your own business, it wouldn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any major will do. In fact, you may be at an advantage doing a non-bio major.

Have you also considered the PharmD/MBA? A few of my friends are going through this program now vs. the MD/MBA to save a few years out of school. Also, in the business world, PharmD is a respected Doctorate degree, albeit still 'lower' than the MD. If you are going to work for a company, this would be a lower salary, but if you are going to run your own business, it wouldn't matter.

I wanna be a Doctor but not forever so that's why I'm going for the M.D/M.B.A, cause I'm interested in both

I wanna be a Doctor but not forever so that's why I'm going for the M.D/M.B.A, cause I'm interested in both

So your saying you want to go through 4 years of medical school and 3-7 years of residency/fellowship to "not be a doctor forever"? :scared:

So your saying you want to go through 4 years of medical school and 3-7 years of residency/fellowship to "not be a doctor forever"? :scared:

Correct, that's just one of the things on my list.

I'm not too sure that you'll go through all of that training and say 'oh I don't want to do this anymore.' Going to medical school is a commitment and you'll most likely be stuck in it for one reason.

I'm not too sure that you'll go through all of that training and say 'oh I don't want to do this anymore.' Going to medical school is a commitment and you'll most likely be stuck in it for one reason.

Well I wanna open my own hospital/clinic. Not working in it, running it like a CEO

Last edited:
Well I wanna open my own hospital/clinic. Not working in it, running it like a CEO

The guy who runs one of the largest and most successful hospitals in the region started in the company as a janitor.

Maybe something like a MPH/MBA would be better suited