This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadamSamIam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I know that there are many posts like this, but I'd like an answer based on my current situation.
So, out schools posted final grades today and, as you can see by the title, I made a C in physics. I made an A+ in a Biology elective, an A in Biochem I, and an A in Molec cell. I really wanna know my chances, GPA wise. I'm a junior and my institutonal GPA is currently a 3.78. It won't go down too much. But now I'm worried, considering I'll have to take physics II with the same professor.

Any advice? Thank you!

Also, my school has a repeat to replace program, but the course has drained me. Should I go ahead and take physics II and be done with it or retake physics I?

Members don't see this ad.

i got a C in physics 1 and am taking my chances. that sucks that you have to have the same prof; luckily i had a better one for second semester

i hear a good mcat physical section can be helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you get a C? If you have a good understanding of the basic concepts I wouldn't retake. But a lot of C students in physics 1 do worse in physics 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you get a C? If you have a good understanding of the basic concepts I wouldn't retake. But a lot of C students in physics 1 do worse in physics 2.
I tried to teach myself as much of the material as I could and got outside help wherever I could. The professor is new and a common complaint amongst my classmates and I is that she didn't know how to material. She truly understands her stuff but doesn't know how to explain it in a way the hat we understand.

AS I understand it, your new grade would not replace the C; you would just have both grades. I'd say you are better off finding some easy-A BCPM courses to boost your GPA.

AS I understand it, your new grade would not replace the C; you would just have both grades. I'd say you are better off finding some easy-A BCPM courses to boost your GPA.
With the program offered at my school, if I retake it it will replace the C on my GPA. However, the C will still be on my transcripts.

@MadamSamIam

AMCAS will factor all transcript grades into their GPA calculation. AACOMAS (osteopathic) does do grade replacement for retakes. Not sure about Texas and other apps.

If you really, *really* didn't get Physics 1 at all, retake. Otherwise, take other sci courses to boost that part of your GPA. Also, if it was mainly parts of physics you didn't get, then those will probably be things you'll have to emphasize for MCAT studying.