c/o 2019 LECOM: Bradenton,FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Duplicate

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree with old photography. Lecom is a great school in a beautiful location. I interviewed there and loved it

I didn't feel like finding the original post from CaffeineAddict, so I just quoted yours.

Rant coming, so with all due respect....

I went to a community college, I have worked in a pharmacy for 3 years, I have a 3.8 GPA and got a 92 on my PCAT. LECOM is the only school I applied to and the only one I wanted to go to. I have received negative commentary on the fact that I went to a community college, yet I managed to score significantly higher on my PCAT than some people that I've talked to that attended a university. I also have no debt at all. Your education is what you make of it; we are going to be taught the same things as really any other pharmacy school. I mean, LECOM's accredited - they have to put out decent pharmacists to be able to maintain that. There will be students that will study very hard and learn the material well and there will be the students that barely get by. It's a shame that the people that barely get by are used to define LECOM but I can promise you that I will not be singled out as "not the brightest tool in the tool shed." Every school has its shortcomings, so if you're not interested in going to LECOM then please stay off of this topic and go to YOUR school's topic.

Just saying, USF just opened up a pharmacy school despite the saturation - does that also make them a diploma mill?
Well I graduated from USF and I know that they are not a diploma mill school. IDK about LECOM's curriculum, but I know USF has been doing the interprofessional curriculum that other schools in Florida are adapting too(UF and NOVA come to mind).

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to CC too btw.
Just curious why did you choose LECOM? I have a friend who is a p1 currently and last time I talked to him he wasn't a huge fan.

Well, I've lived in Sarasota my entire life (I'm only 20, so I currently still live with my parents). If I attend LECOM, I save the living expenses, stay on my parents' health insurance, and I minimize my debt. I also have a job working for Publix, a company I've been with for almost 7 years now. I've worked in the pharmacy for 3 years and I already have an intern position lined up that I'm transitioning into at another store once I start pharmacy school. LECOM would give me the ability to save the living expenses, keep my internship in the pharmacy, and take out as few loans as possible while still getting an education. I work with many successful pharmacists that graduated from LECOM - I believe the keyword here is pharmacist, which is the goal obviously lol. I was very happy with the school when I interviewed.

Well I graduated from USF and I know that they are not a diploma mill school. IDK about LECOM's curriculum, but I know USF has been doing the interprofessional curriculum that other schools in Florida are adapting too(UF and NOVA come to mind).
I know USF is not a diploma mill school. However, in the original post it was noted that UF closed down many of its satellite campuses due to saturation. Why would USF then decide to open up a pharmacy school if the saturation is bad? I'm not saying anything against UF or USF, they are great schools, just noting that LECOM is not the only school that should be singled out for "adding to the saturation."

Well, I've lived in Sarasota my entire life (I'm only 20, so I currently still live with my parents). If I attend LECOM, I save the living expenses, stay on my parents' health insurance, and I minimize my debt. I also have a job working for Publix, a company I've been with for almost 7 years now. I've worked in the pharmacy for 3 years and I already have an intern position lined up that I'm transitioning into at another store once I start pharmacy school. LECOM would give me the ability to save the living expenses, keep my internship in the pharmacy, and take out as few loans as possible while still getting an education. I work with many successful pharmacists that graduated from LECOM - I believe the keyword here is pharmacist, which is the goal obviously lol. I was very happy with the school when I interviewed.
Well we all have our reasons. I am currently stuck between USF and NOVA. NOVA is by my home so I would be saving on living expense/food, but it is private and it might cost as much as living at USF with food/board.

Just curious. I interviewed there a few years ago when I applied. Wasn't the right fit for me. I was in a similar situation as you. Still living at home in pharm school is nice.

I know USF is not a diploma mill school. However, in the original post it was noted that UF closed down many of its satellite campuses due to saturation. Why would USF then decide to open up a pharmacy school if the saturation is bad? I'm not saying anything against UF or USF, they are great schools, just noting that LECOM is not the only school that should be singled out for "adding to the saturation."
When USF decided to start the process to open a pharmacy school there was arguably a need for more pharmacists. However since then that demand as declined significantly. Not sayin it's impossible to get a job but you need to have connections. I know they Bay Area is saturated to an extent from connections I have over there.

Well we all have our reasons. I am currently stuck between USF and NOVA. NOVA is by my home so I would be saving on living expense/food, but it is private and it might cost as much as living at USF with food/board.

NOVA - 28,550
USF- 18,175 (with fees factored in)

Yikes, that's quite a difference. The NOVA quote isn't even including the fees. You could probably get a student apartment or something at USF for a decent price. I would just go with whatever school steals your heart in this case but I think USF may be more economical.

When USF decided to start the process to open a pharmacy school there was arguably a need for more pharmacists. However since then that demand as declined significantly. Not sayin it's impossible to get a job but you need to have connections. I know they Bay Area is saturated to an extent from connections I have over there.

Oh yeah, it's pretty bad. When I'm out of school, I'll have 7 years in the pharmacy so I'm hoping that will help me get a full time position. It kind of comes in waves though like right now I think they're looking for people but then give it a month or so and they won't be taking on anybody. I guess you just have to hit it at the right time.

Ev
didnt you interview at Uf?

NOVA - 28,550
USF- 18,175 (with fees factored in)

Yikes, that's quite a difference. The NOVA quote isn't even including the fees. You could probably get a student apartment or something at USF for a decent price. I would just go with whatever school steals your heart in this case but I think USF may be more economical.
Ye I was calling apartments near USF and see how much they charge. I love USF, did undergrad there and have a lot more friends compared to NOVA, but NOVA area is where most of my family is. It is a tough decision indeed.

Oh yeah, it's pretty bad. When I'm out of school, I'll have 7 years in the pharmacy so I'm hoping that will help me get a full time position. It kind of comes in waves though like right now I think they're looking for people but then give it a month or so and they won't be taking on anybody. I guess you just have to hit it at the right time.
Same here. Been working in one since I was 18. 23 now

Members don't see this ad :)
Havent heard back yet zzzz. The deadlines for the other two are real close and I rather go to a school then none
You can always pay a deposit then change later. It's what I did for LECOM when I applied. Lol only applied to two schools.

I know of people who got interview invites in April and May two years ago.

We do pretty much have the exact same situation lol. Do you think you're going to stay in retail?
Yes we do. Lmao.

That's the plan. I think residencies are a waste of time. I have my first hospital IPPE summer so I'll see how that goes. But I don't think Ill like it. I'm a people person so retail is more of my fit.....at least I think.

Yes we do. Lmao.

That's the plan. I think residencies are a waste of time. I have my first hospital IPPE summer so I'll see how that goes. But I don't think Ill like it. I'm a people person so retail is more of my fit.....at least I think.

I'm kind of in between. I volunteered in a hospital when I was in high school so that's about all the exposure I've gotten to it. I don't mind retail so if it comes to it I'll stay. Part of me is itching to do a residency to become a clinical pharmacist, but I feel like that's what everyone says they want to do. For some reason the residency kind of appeals to me.

I'm kind of in between. I volunteered in a hospital when I was in high school so that's about all the exposure I've gotten to it. I don't mind retail so if it comes to it I'll stay. Part of me is itching to do a residency to become a clinical pharmacist, but I feel like that's what everyone says they want to do. For some reason the residency kind of appeals to me.
No part of me wants anything to do with a residency. But yea most classmates talk about doing a residency and wanting a clinical job. To them I say good luck with that. I have worked with a few pharmacists who have done residencies and are now in retail. Why? Because that's where the vast majority of jobs are. Not trying to play "doctor" and doing residencies.

End rant. Lol

No part of me wants anything to do with a residency. But yea most classmates talk about doing a residency and wanting a clinical job. To them I say good luck with that. I have worked with a few pharmacists who have done residencies and are now in retail. Why? Because that's where the vast majority of jobs are. Not trying to play "doctor" and doing residencies.

End rant. Lol

Hahaha. Love the end rant part. To each their own - I know someone that is absolutely 200% she is not going to work in retail. I'm kind of curious to see if that will happen lol

Hahaha. Love the end rant part. To each their own - I know someone that is absolutely 200% she is not going to work in retail. I'm kind of curious to see if that will happen lol
Must students are ignorant to what pharmacy really is and well see when they graduate. Haha

I'm in the alternate list in LECOM-Bradenton. Does someone from the alternate list being accepted? In previous years, how many students they accept from the alternate list?

Oy, this thread had gotten sunken in the pre-pharm forum.

Well, I'm a P1 from LECOM-B and let me be the next to congratulate all of those who have been accepted. We can't wait to have you here. You are going to be in for some work but it'll all pay out in the end. I'm enjoying the curriculum so far and I can't wait to do rotations.

For those who are in the alt. list, LECOM does accept a good number of alternates. (Don't have an exact number) But how many depends on who intends on staying and attending LECOM. For some folks, LECOM wasn't his/her first choice so seats will open up over the summer. Just keep an eye out for any other communications. You all have until the first week of class to hear something.

Any questions I'm here as well via PM or in the forum but as finals approach, I might be a little (or a lot) delayed.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I will be more than glad if you can update us anything that you hear!

I'm in the alternate list in LECOM-Bradenton. Does someone from the alternate list being accepted? In previous years, how many students they accept from the alternate list?
I am on the alternate list as well. Has anybody gotten accepted from the alternate list before ?!

Do you know if they even accept anybody off the alternate list ?!

I don't know if I should call them?! I already sent my letter of intent.

For those on the alternate list I just gave up my seat! Meaning there's one extra seat for those of you waiting! Good luck wish you the best of luck!

Hey folks. Just thought I would pop up here again. Finals are wearing and tearing on me but onward I press.

For those who are waiting on the alternative list, hold on and have faith. We are conducting one last interview session tomorrow and from there the administration will pull the names from the alt list. In June, they'll proceed to rank names and they'll notify the top 10% in the list. Seats usually drop throughout the summer and all throughout June/July and even August you can hear something. Hope that eases some anxiety.

Take it easy folks! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got invited for an interview on July 9th. Anybody else?? And any clue why they're having an interview so late?

Goodness that's a late interview date!! When r they gonna look into wait listers?!!!!

mingukie, is this for the entering class of 2019? If so, that is extremely odd as that is a laaaaate interview date.

My name is Josh Grant, I graduated from LECOM in 2011. Im finishing up an Internal Medicine Residency and will be starting a Fellowship in Cardiology this summer. I have a partially furnished 2br/2ba apartment available in June. The apartment is located in the Harborage on Braden River. Its about a 7-10 minute drive to campus in traffic (map). The community is gated, has a pool, hot tub, gas grill. It is situated on the Braden River and has a private nature reserve. Its a very quite and safe community. Pictures can be found here. All the furniture is included except for the furniture found in the second bedroom (my roommates, and subsequently the messier one). The rent is $1350/mo , with all utilities except for internet and electricity included. The rent includes basic cable. Also included is the garage space across the street. Please email me if you have questions about the apartment, or bradenton/lecom in general. -Josh Grant [email protected]

WOW!!!!!!!!! TOO LATE.
I sent an email to Lauren yesterday and she answer me,
"We have not had much movement on the alternate list"
I'm so sad

WOW!!!!!!!!! TOO LATE.
I sent an email to Lauren yesterday and she answer me,
"We have not had much movement on the alternate list"
I'm so sad
Oh no .. I'm so sad too .. I'm on the alternate list as well

I was on the alternate list and Lauren called me today. However, I declined the offer because I accepted other school of pharmacy offer.

Good luck!

Oh wow. That's awesome that you got the call and even more awesome that you got into another school. Congrats. I hope I soon get a call as well.

I was on the alternate list and Lauren called me today. However, I declined the offer because I accepted other school of pharmacy offer.

Good luck!

Thanks for share the info. :):):)

Got accepted today ... So excited