Cal School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the cali school of podiatric medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that the 3rd year class right now is only about 20 people.

That is all I have heard.

I interviewed and was accepted to Cal. They are part of Samuel Merritt which is a nursing school. The clinic in SF is nice. The school location in downtown Oakland is a hole. But you have to understand, I'm comparing it to DMU facilities. When it came right down to it, I felt like the DMU curriculum would better prepare me for boards (which it did) and give me a chance to see more programs before residency. If you are interested in the program, go see it! You may feel different. There is definitely more to do in northern Cal!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, do you think its a good school for education to pass my boards and getting a good residencies or not?

chang said:
Thanks guys, do you think its a good school for education to pass my boards and getting a good residencies or not?

Tough question. You'd have to talk to a CCPM student. I think passing boards and getting a good residency often depends more on the student than the school that they attend. Ya, some schools have better pass rates and residency placement than others. However, I can't comment on CCPM. I only know DMU's.

I interviewed at CCPM and decided to attend DMU. It depends on the student but in my opinion there was no comparison. DMU had better board pass rates, better facilities, safer place for my family to live, cheaper living expenses, and it just felt right for me. I would definately visit a few schools so you can make an educated opinion and go with your gut feeling.

How tough is it to get into the Cali school?

I spoke with the admissions director on Friday and he claims that It is the most selective school in terms of admissions criteria. He says that they have very small classes and they really only take the best. I am not sure about this.

oncogene said:
I spoke with the admissions director on Friday and he claims that It is the most selective school in terms of admissions criteria. He says that they have very small classes and they really only take the best. I am not sure about this.

Not to offend any of my CCPM collugues (because I think you can get a good education there) but they will accept anyone that applies at this point. They do have small classes because they are having a lot of trouble bringing people into northern cal. It's a matter of debt. Students spend more money on living expenses than they do on school. CCPM is in a tough situation. As the AZ school continues to get going, I'm interested to see what will happen to the Cal school. I (and I assume anyone that interviews there) was accepted on the day that I interviewed. I can't believe that the admissions guy told you that!!!!

oncogene said:

Not to bag on Cali, but thats a bunch of bull. Did you ask them why they went bankrupt a few years back and why they had to move locations twice in 3 years? I interviewed there and they accepted every one of us on the spot. Does that sound very selective? The interview proccess was a joke, we were interviewed as a group and were only asked one question each. "Why do you want to become a podiatrist?". The doctors were late to the interview and acted like they just wanted to get it over with. Samuel Merritt is a hole. Its like a prison. It may have changed since I was there 2 years ago so I would still recommend interviewing there if you are interested. However, I dont believe for a second that they have a small class on purpose. With a school that primarily relies on tuition of pod students to sustain itself, the more students the better. Schools like DMU and Scholl can be more selective because they dont rely on pod students' tuition to stay afloat.

I'm interviewing there in a few weeks so I don't have an opinion of the school itself. But I can tell you, living in CA my whole life, that Oakland is a hole. The only good thing in Oakland is the Raiders, and even they suck right now. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to school in Oakland without packing heat. Moreover, living expenses in the bay area are the worst in the country. Seriously, you WILL spend more on your 1 bedroom ghetto apartment than your actual tution. It's absolutely insane.

That is a bunch of bull. Everyone I have talked to that has interviewed there has been accepted. My whole interview group was accepted on the spot. We had a group interview so they really didnt get to know us that well. Huge red flag. They are having problems bringing in students. That is why they have such a small class. I am sure you get a good education there but they are not that selective at all. It is really expensive to live there, the facilities are not that great at all and it is in Oakland. I have a friend going there now and he told me he likes it and feels he is getting a good education so I really think it depends on the person. But, they are by no means the most selective school.

Anyone from Cal school??

to the ones that got accepted....if you don't mind.....what were your stats like? GPA, mcat scores?

so on average, how many people actually apply to this school?