Calculating GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools say they require an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better, does it means they combine the GPAs from all undergraduate institutions and take that number or just look your overall undergraduate GPA from the institution where you graduated?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program - the programs that take cumulative undergraduate GPA look at the average of all institutions and then there are the programs that only look at your last 60 credit GPA so it would depend how many institutions you attended for the last 60 credits.

I was unhappy with Chatham because they only take my GPA at the institution I graduated from, and my GPA is below 3.0. I wouldn't have applied there if I knew about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I found in the Chatham website:

A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
Cumulative prerequisite course grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale; grades below a "C" are not acceptable in prerequisite courses
Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
On-campus writing sample and interview
Completed application for admission, including:
Official transcripts from all college and universities attended

Its weird that they put that on the requirement page, if they don't take that in consideration.

This is what I found in the Chatham website:

A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
Cumulative prerequisite course grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale; grades below a “C” are not acceptable in prerequisite courses
Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
On-campus writing sample and interview
Completed application for admission, including:
Official transcripts from all college and universities attended

Its weird that they put that on the requirement page, if they don't take that in consideration.

That is why I found it to be unprofessional. I hope they will clarify for next cycle.