General Admissions & OTCAS Calculating OTCAS GPA and Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliiiiiiOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have a couple questions:

-First, if I have a No Pass(NP) on my transcript does OTCAS calculate that as an F?

-Also how bad does having two NP's on my transcript look? They are both math classes from my freshman year. I really struggled transitioning to the course load at my University and I wasn't sure what to do when I wasn't doing well in the classes. I was immature and I should have just dropped the classes. This being said I did eventually take two calculus courses and pass them both with a B and a B+.

-Lastly, I have a 3.13 gpa and I will be graduating soon. My overall GPA does have an upward trend, I am actually really happy with the fact I even got my GPA above a 3.0 after my freshman year(which is when I got the 2 NP's). I have over 550 volunteer hours with children with cerebral palsy and 40 hours shadowing under an OT. I plan on taking a few pre reqs this next year at a junior college while I hopefully getting experience while shadowing under more OT's.
-My pre req grades at this point are:
Abnormal Psych:A+
Dev Psych: A
Physio:B
Stats:B(Im not sure if they take a psych research methods course for stats, but I got an A in that)
Physics: B

-Obviously I still have a handful of pre reqs to fulfill. But I think with the idea of applying to grad school I am going to do well in them. Also I have not taken the GRE, but I plan on studying quite a bit for it.

I really appreciate any feedback. Again I am new to this whole forum thing!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would also like to add that my last 60 units GPA is a 3.51

Having a low GPA your freshman year isn't bad. My grades during my first year weren't the best. Like you said, the transition was tough. However, showing an upward trend shows you figured out where you were going wrong and it shows growth as a student. Some programs look at your last 60 or 45 units. So with you taking pre-reqs that means a higher GPA. Make sure you focus and try to get As on whatever classes you have to take.
Don't fret too much about mistakes 18 year old you made. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.2. My last 60 units were at a 3.6 and last 45 were 3.7.
You have plenty of observation hours so that is good. Try to get one more setting if you can.
For the GRE, make sure you know where your weaknesses are. There is only so much studying you can do without going crazy. When you sign up for the GRE the website allows you access to practice tests. Take advantage of those! It gives you a sense of how the exam is set up. Also, read the example essays that receive a 4 or higher. They have notes as to why the essays were scored the way they were and what the writers could have done to receive a higher mark.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a low GPA your freshman year isn't bad. My grades during my first year weren't the best. Like you said, the transition was tough. However, showing an upward trend shows you figured out where you were going wrong and it shows growth as a student. Some programs look at your last 60 or 45 units. So with you taking pre-reqs that means a higher GPA. Make sure you focus and try to get As on whatever classes you have to take.
Don't fret too much about mistakes 18 year old you made. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.2. My last 60 units were at a 3.6 and last 45 were 3.7.
You have plenty of observation hours so that is good. Try to get one more setting if you can.
For the GRE, make sure you know where your weaknesses are. There is only so much studying you can do without going crazy. When you sign up for the GRE the website allows you access to practice tests. Take advantage of those! It gives you a sense of how the exam is set up. Also, read the example essays that receive a 4 or higher. They have notes as to why the essays were scored the way they were and what the writers could have done to receive a higher mark.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Thank you! I still have one more question, do you know how the No Pass(NP) is calculated in the OTCAS GPA?

Both P and NP are not calculated into your GPA.