calculus: is it necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not see calculus as a prerequisite for admission to most dental schools.
Is calculus necessary for the pre-dental curriculum?
Can I do well in Physics, Chem, Biochem w/ only having taken Trig/Pre-Calc?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not see calculus as a prerequisite for admission to most dental schools.
Is calculus necessary for the pre-dental curriculum?
Can I do well in Physics, Chem, Biochem w/ only having taken Trig/Pre-Calc?

The only time you would need Calculus is if you just wanted to take Cal-based Physics. The have a Trig-based Physics (most people take) that only requires Trig. So...the answer...Calculus is not at all required nor is it needed for dental school unless you love it and want to take it.

Yeah to my knowledge Harvard is the only school that requires calculus. I would only take them if you are sure you can get "A's" in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only time you would need calculus is if you just wanted to take cal-based physics. The have a trig-based physics (most people take) that only requires trig. So...the answer...calculus is not at all required nor is it needed for dental school unless you love it and want to take it.

+1

you need calc I i think... for some schools but i am not sure. but further than that is not required.

op you should consult the adea official guide to dental school. Check your your premed/predent adviser they might have one. You can look though all the 50+ schools and their requirements

I think it is a good idea to take calculus. If you are going to take calc based physics, then it is required. Otherwise, take it if you want to seem more competitive, or if you think you can get in A in them.

Calculus isn't that hard IMO. Just do your homework and study.

ugh i wish i never had to take calc. it was a requirement for my major

ya, i dont think it's a pre-req, but most science majors require it for a degree. that's why i took it

Look at this sheet for reference on who requires it and who recommends it (I would take it in both cases to be safe!)

Attachments

• DentalSchool_Addional_Requirements2010.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 133
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677625

"The following is a list of dental schools and their math prerequisites:

University of Buffalo: None

CaseWestern Reserve University: None

University of Colorado: None

Columbia: None

Creighton Mercy: None

Georgia: None

Harvard: Yes. Calculus. (Please note that statistics, college algebra or computer science do not replace the requirement for calculus.)

Texas - Houston: None

Howard: None

Indiana: None

Iowa: None

Kentucky: None

Loma Linda: Recommended: College Algebra/Calculus

Louisville: None

LSU: None

Marquette: None

Maryland: None

Meharry: None

Michigan: None

Midwestern: None

Minnesota: A minimum of 3 semester credits in one of the following courses: college algebra or precalculus by college credit or college validation, computer science, or statistics.

MUSC: 6 semester hours

Nebraska: None

NOVA: None

NYU: None

OHS: None

Oregon: None

Oklahoma: None

Upenn: One semester of mathematics — calculus is preferred

Pittsburgh: None

UT - San Antonio: None

Stony Brook: One year of: Mathematics (Must include one semester of Calculus I. The second semester may be a higher math or
Statistics.)

Temple: None

Tennessee: None

Tufts: None

UCLA: None

Connecticut: None

UCSF: None

Florida: None

Illinois: None

New Jersey: None

UNC: None

Nevada: None

UoP: None

USC: None

Washington: None

VCU: None

Western University: None

West Virginia: None

Texas - A & M: None

Alabama: Mathematics (6 semester hours) Analytic geometry and differential and integral calculus are recommended."

(Compiled on Nov. 2009)