This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyThought

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting college this fall, and I told my advisor to put replace KIN with Calc I. Now my question: Is calculus I necessary for dental school and possibly medical school, Do most dental schools require calc, and if they do, do I also have to take calc 2? Please shed some light and excuse my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

some do but some don't require it. just look up the requirements for the schools that interest you in the ADEA guide

Reactions: 1 user
some do but some don't require it. just look up the requirements for the schools that interest you in the ADEA guide
Thanks for the reply. Can I get more replies please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few dental schools require calc, but I recommend taking it if you are considering medical. Dental schools DO require physics I and II though, and several undergrad institutions require Calc I and II as prerequisites to physics courses.

Calc and physics classes actually brought down my GPA like 0.6 points because I always landed a B in them. >.< Hopefully you're better at math than I am!

Very few dental schools require calc, but I recommend taking it if you are considering medical. Dental schools DO require physics I and II though, and several undergrad institutions require Calc I and II as prerequisites to physics courses.

Calc and physics classes actually brought down my GPA like 0.6 points because I always landed a B in them. >.< Hopefully you're better at math than I am!
Appreciate the advice. I decided to just stay on the calculus boat, after finding out it's necessary for my major. Hopefully I'll score exceptionally. I might just take calculus I, but stop there and not continue with calculus II, It all depends. wish me luck!
I would take it to help boost my GPA. It's very easy to score good grades for Calculus 1 and 2 in my opinion.
Thanks.

Cal is pretty useful if you have a hard time in physics, which is required for admission. Most schools don't require calculus. I do want to say that stats is very useful and if you have time, take it for your own good.

Cal is pretty useful if you have a hard time in physics, which is required for admission. Most schools don't require calculus. I do want to say that stats is very useful and if you have time, take it for your own good.

Exactly. They both go hand in hand.

Algebra based physics is the way to go. Forget about those nasty integrals!

Reactions: 1 users
Would you consider it slowing myself down if I started with pre calculus? Is pre calculus harder than calculus 1. Also, If I'm also going to consider medical school it's safe to take calculus 1 right. I just don't want my GPA to get messed up from calculus. Advice please.

Would you consider it slowing myself down if I started with pre calculus? Is pre calculus harder than calculus 1. Also, If I'm also going to consider medical school it's safe to take calculus 1 right. I just don't want my GPA to get messed up from calculus. Advice please.

I don't think you would be slowing yourself down at all if you were to take pre-calc first, but I think you should only do it if you feel you aren't particularly good at math. If you already took it in hs/have a good grasp of pre-calc, then I think you would be wasting your time if you didn't start off at calculus I. Also, decide early on whether you want to take calc or algebra based physics. At my school calc II is a co-requirement for calc based physics I, but not for the algebra based one. If you are going to take the latter, I would recommend taking it either before or while you take calc II (if you plan to). I had no physics background prior to taking calculus and once we got to the physical applications section, I was completely lost.

One more thing: it's not a bad idea to read your science textbooks either :). It helped me in the long run, but I don't know how you study/learn so it might not be as helpful to you.

I'm starting college this fall, and I told my advisor to put replace KIN with Calc I. Now my question: Is calculus I necessary for dental school and possibly medical school, Do most dental schools require calc, and if they do, do I also have to take calc 2? Please shed some light and excuse my ignorance.
I did not see any of the dental schools require for it. If math or cal is not your cup of tea, do not waste your time. And DAT is nothing related with Cal.

I started off the fall semester with algebra and then took calculus for bio sciences in my fall sophomore year dont add physics your first semester try to bost your gpa by taking some basic classes and see the feel for college classes, and work hard. Also decide if you want to do DDS/DMD or MD

Another question: do most med schools NOT require calc 2? Or calc in general