California Applicants DPT 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: Sonoma State University
Major: Kinesiology, Exercise Science Emphasis (May 2018 graduation!)
Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: AW: 4.5, quant: 138, analytical: 162

Extra-Curric: Balance Research Project under professor. Work as PT aide and Sales in pet food (interest in animal rehab), and various sales positions through the years.

Volunteer:
500+ Hours working in ortho as a PT aide plus volunteering at another clinic, 25 hours in in-patient acute

LOR: head PT and second PT at the clinic, and a stellar LOR from my Exercise Physio professor

Applied: CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, CSU Sacramento, University of the Pacific, Northern Arizon Uni, Regis Uni, SDSU, Eastern Washington Uni

Interviews: Northern Arizona Uni, Regis Uni (did not attend), University of the Pacific, Sacramento State

Acceptances!!
CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, CSU Sacramento, University of the Pacific

Waitlist: Northern Arizon Uni, SDSU

Rejections: Eastern Washington University

Now I must decide

Members don't see this ad.

Got my acceptance to CSUN DPT today from number 10 on the waitlist!

Cumulative gpa 3.78.
GRE 4.5 verbal 162 quantitative 159
Congrats! I'm 47 but I'm not losing hope yet!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! It was not a top school choice, but I am definitely considering it now. My top is Long Beach.

May I ask why Long Beach is your top? I am trying to decide between a few schools and would love to hear someone else's thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody,

I'm taking a poll on two schools. If you know about the schools and have any advice, maybe you can answer. If you do not take the cost into consideration, would you choose Loma Linda University or CSU Sacramento? and Why? I was accepted at both and I am trying to decide which to attend. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have not seen Loma Linda in person, but I read through their handbook when considering applying. Loma Linda has some strong ideals they require you to uphold, including abstaining from alcohol for the duration of your enrollment and if I remember correctly, attending chapel. According to their hand book, breaking from these standards can get you cut from the program.

Sac State I did see in person. The facilities are very nice, no trouble parking, the faculty seems excellent and caring, lots of financial help (especially to CA natives), and all the students I spoke with are very happy with the program. The DPT program shares a building with Nursing off the main campus. Supposedly you don't need to purchase the textbooks. The cadavers have been used, but they are supposedly expertly dissected and it doesn't affect your learning.
If you can't tell I am seriously considering this program myself haha.

Sure thing! :)

University: San Diego State University
Major: Kinesiology Pre-Physical Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.80
GRE: 149 Verbal, 151 Quant, 4.0 AWA
Observation hours: 1600 outpatient ortho, 20 acute care

Certifications: BLS and Adult, Child, and Infant CPR & AED

Extra-Curricular: Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity, Miracle Babies' Ambassador, Numerous community service events, Physical Therapy Aide, Physical therapy outpatient/inpatient volunteer, Feeding food to homeless in downtown SD, Student volunteer at SDSU Adaptive Fitness Clinic, Dean's List 4 semesters

Applied: CSUN, CSULB, Fresno, Sac State, Western U, West Coast, Chapman (both Summer and Fall), Mount st. Mary's, NAU, UNLV, Rocky Mountain University, Gannon University Erie, Gannon University Ruskin, University of Miami, Drexel University, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Brenau University, Dominican College of Blauvelt, University of New England

Interviews: University of New England (11/3 - Declined), Drexel (11/17), Dominican College of Blauvelt (12/5 - Declined), Gannon University Ruskin (1/13 - Declined), Rocky Mountain University (1/13 - Declined), University of Miami (1/19 - Declined), Brenau University (1/19 - Declined), West Coast (1/26 - Declined), Fresno (1/27), Sac State (2/3), Western U (2/7 - Declined),

Waitlist: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (11/6), Drexel (12/15), CSULB (1/15 - High tier), CSUN (1/19)

Acceptances: Gannon University Erie (1/8), Chapman University - Summer (1/10):soexcited:

Rejections: NAU (12/13)

As an SDSU undergrad, did you consider SDSU's DPT program?

I have not seen Loma Linda in person, but I read through their handbook when considering applying. Loma Linda has some strong ideals they require you to uphold, including abstaining from alcohol for the duration of your enrollment and if I remember correctly, attending chapel. According to their hand book, breaking from these standards can get you cut from the program.

Sac State I did see in person. The facilities are very nice, no trouble parking, the faculty seems excellent and caring, lots of financial help (especially to CA natives), and all the students I spoke with are very happy with the program. The DPT program shares a building with Nursing off the main campus. Supposedly you don't need to purchase the textbooks. The cadavers have been used, but they are supposedly expertly dissected and it doesn't affect your learning.
If you can't tell I am seriously considering this program myself haha.

Thank you for your input! I have been to both Loma Linda and Sacramento in person. Both are really nice campuses. I really like Sacramento's program, facility, and what I have heard about the faculty. I am seriously considering their program as well. However, I currently live with my parents about 20 minutes from Loma Linda, so it might be a financially better decision to choose Loma Linda. I definitely need to learn more about the financial help at CSUS. I haven't heard about not having to buy textbooks, so that is really cool if it's true.

What other programs are you considering?

My friend goes to Loma and said the campus and city are very religious. It also depends on what you value in a program. I know Sac has no cadavers of their own.
(I’m going to Sac!)

Thank you for your input! I have heard that cadavers at Sac do not hinder the learning, but I guess it just depends on how you learn best. Congrats on getting in! Have you heard anything about not having to pay for textbooks at Sacramento? I heard that, but I am not sure if it's true. If so, that is really cool though.

Thank you for your input! I have been to both Loma Linda and Sacramento in person. Both are really nice campuses. I really like Sacramento's program, facility, and what I have heard about the faculty. I am seriously considering their program as well. However, I currently live with my parents about 20 minutes from Loma Linda, so it might be a financially better decision to choose Loma Linda. I definitely need to learn more about the financial help at CSUS. I haven't heard about not having to buy textbooks, so that is really cool if it's true.

I am deciding between Sac State, University of the Pacific, CSU Northridge, and CSU Long Beach. I am currently leaning toward Sac for all the reasons we discussed above. UoP seems great but it is just so expensive.

CSU Long Beach seems like a good, affordable program but their facilities were not as nice as Sac's.
I also was waitlisted for Northern Arizona and SDSU and I'm not sure if I should rule them out completely to focus on definute options or what.

Are you considering other schools besides LLU and Sac?
That is true, living with relatives will help cut the cost. How does LLU's tuition compare to Sac's?

Oh! Of it helps, I heard about the textbook thing from Sac State students. They use ebooks, I believe.

May I ask why Long Beach is your top? I am trying to decide between a few schools and would love to hear someone else's thoughts!

To be honest, its because the tuition is lower than the one I was accepted at. And I have heard great things about long beach from people I shadowed.

I am deciding between Sac State, University of the Pacific, CSU Northridge, and CSU Long Beach. I am currently leaning toward Sac for all the reasons we discussed above. UoP seems great but it is just so expensive.

CSU Long Beach seems like a good, affordable program but their facilities were not as nice as Sac's.
I also was waitlisted for Northern Arizona and SDSU and I'm not sure if I should rule them out completely to focus on definute options or what.

That is true, living with relatives will help cut the cost. How does LLU's tuition compare to Sac's?
How much is University of the Pacific anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)

No I am only considering LLU and Sac. The tuition at LLU is about $105,000 including books and supplies. That is a bit more than Sacramento, but if I take the cost of living in Sacramento into consideration, it might end up being even more expensive.

I have accepted my spot at Sacramento and will be declining at Fresno State and UOP!

Best of luck to everyone still deciding and hoping to get in!

I have accepted my spot at Sacramento and will be declining at Fresno State and UOP!

Best of luck to everyone still deciding and hoping to get in!
Congrats! When do you need to respond to Sac by? I got waitlisted and I am really hoping to get in! But if not I will be attending Western U

Congrats! When do you need to respond to Sac by? I got waitlisted and I am really hoping to get in! But if not I will be attending Western U
Thank you! The deadline is Feb 23rd so this Friday. Hopefully you hear back soon!

Hi everyone! I have been accepted, and now deciding between Loma Linda and University of Pacific, and I am waitlisted at USC. Anyone have any input for me.. Id love to hear any opinions to help with my decision! Thanks :)

Hi everyone! I have been accepted, and now deciding between Loma Linda and University of Pacific, and I am waitlisted at USC. Anyone have any input for me.. Id love to hear any opinions to help with my decision! Thanks :)

In my opinion cost is a major factor. Loma Linda is cheaper than UOP and USC. But Loma Linda expects a lot from there students. They are a religious program so they have religious courses in the curriculum. And Loma Linda is a small city and there isn’t a lot to do around in that area. But it is a safe area to live. I would also look into clinic rotations.

One of the PTs I work with now graduated from loma Linda and said the school is religious but not necessarily the physical therapy department. She did not feel like it was overly religious and really enjoyed her time there. She has great skills and has good feedback from patients about their plan of care.

The PT that I currently work with said that she had several students from LLU's program come to her clinic and that they were the best prepared for the field. Also, LLU may be a religious university, but the PT department is not heavily religious.

Anybody know how long Long Beach took people off of the waitlist last year? Or if anyone has gotten off the waitlist recently?

Hey everyone, I had to share that I got an acceptance today to CSUF from number 8 on the waitlist!! So excited! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
I was #10 on the waitlist for Fresno State and was accepted Feb 7th too! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody on the waitlist at Sac State heard back yet?

Has anybody on the waitlist at Sac State heard back yet?
I got waitlisted and haven’t heard anything. I emailed Jerri and she said to check back every few weeks so I’ll probably email her again next week.

Has anyone who's been waitlisted to SDSU heard back?

Has anyone recently gotten off the wait list for Long Beach?

Anybody happen to get offered a spot off the waitlist to Mt St Mary’s University? Or know how many people have accepted a spot in their fall cohort?

Anybody happen to get offered a spot off the waitlist to Mt St Mary’s University? Or know how many people have accepted a spot in their fall cohort?
Waiting so patiently for both these schools to hopefully get back to me. Still hopeful!!

I recently dropped my spot at Long Beach, but the class was full before I gave up my spot. So they'll have to fill that spot, but it looks like pretty much everyone else in the class is there to stay after talking with most of them.

I recently dropped my spot at Long Beach, but the class was full before I gave up my spot. So they'll have to fill that spot, but it looks like pretty much everyone else in the class is there to stay after talking with most of them.

Thanks for the info! Where did you decide to attend?

University: California State University, Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology- Fitness
Overall GPA: 3.83
Prereq: 3.65-3.8
GRE: 155 V, 150 Q, 4.0 Writing

Honors/Certifications: Magna Cum Laude, Certified Personal Trainer, CPR/First Aid
Work Experience/Extra-curricular: Community college anatomy tutor, 24 Hour Fitness personal trainer, Belmont athletic club intern, front-desk gym staff, restaurant server, active member/leadership position in AACF, 1000+ hours youth ministry leader
Observation Hours: 477 Outpatient clinic
LOR: 1 PT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied: CSUN (10/1), CSULB (10/1), USC, APU (11/1), Columbia (10/22)
Interviews: APU (3/14)
Rejections: Columbia, CSULB
Waitlist: CSUN #86, USC
Acceptances: APU 2019!!!

University: California State University, Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology- Fitness
Overall GPA: 3.83
Prereq: 3.65-3.8
GRE: 155 V, 150 Q, 4.0 Writing

Honors/Certifications: Magna Cum Laude, Certified Personal Trainer, CPR/First Aid
Work Experience/Extra-curricular: Community college anatomy tutor, 24 Hour Fitness personal trainer, Belmont athletic club intern, front-desk gym staff, restaurant server, active member/leadership position in AACF, 1000+ hours youth ministry leader
Observation Hours: 477 Outpatient clinic
LOR: 1 PT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied: CSUN (10/1), CSULB (10/1), USC, APU (11/1), Columbia (10/22)
Interviews: APU (3/14)
Rejections: Columbia, CSULB
Waitlist: CSUN #86, USC
Acceptances: APU 2019!!!
Congrats!! Are you going to accept or just wait it out for CSUN or USC?

Updates: Does anyone know if Fresno States DPT class for 2021 is filled or is the waitlist still moving?

Thanks!

Updates: Does anyone know if Fresno States DPT class for 2021 is filled or is the waitlist still moving?

Thanks!
I think it might still be moving, but I am not positive. What number are you on the waitlist?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people applied to each CSU? Or where to search this information?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people applied to each CSU? Or where to search this information?

each year they get around 1,000+ applicants with only 32-38 spots available.