California away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlofmushypeas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how easy it is to schedule these -- I've looked at some, and have sent some emails but will probably end up calling for more info.

In particular, I'm trying to set up an away this July which is short notice but certain places (e.g UCLA) just opened their apps recently. For UCLA, is it true that they won't tell you until mid June? It seems like that'd be cutting it close for people wanting to do summer rotations. Also, I've heard through the grapevine that Oakland will pretty much not interview unless you've done an away at their site.

Finally, anyone have general advice on good/bad/flexible sites in general for peds aways in Cali? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do an away rotation at CHO, got an interview there, and ended up matching there. I think if you have a good application, interview well, you'll have a shot at any program that grants you an interview. Also, take whatever you hear with a grain of salt. I highly doubt that CHO only interviews people who've rotated through there (either as a med student from one of the local schools or on an away rotation basis). According to FREIDA, CHO interviewed 250 applicants last year. I couldn't imagine all 250 people rotated through there at some point; I for one did not do an away rotation there.

Good luck!

Last edited: