California DPT Applicants 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m deciding between usc and Csun

Agreed that CSUN would for sure be the better option. It's cheaper, good program as well, the cost of living isn't too crazy and I'm sure it would be less stressful getting around CSUN.

Accepted to WesternU! And waitlisted for CSULB (high tier) & Chapman Summer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I received an email from CSULB that my application has been forwarded to the graduate department for a final review. Answer will come back in 4-6 weeks

Today I received an email from CSULB that my application has been forwarded to the graduate department for a final review. Answer will come back in 4-6 weeks
Were you on the waitlist before?

What do you think this mean?

I got that couple weeks ago too. Let me know if you figured out what it is. I thought it’s because their admission office had some delays this years in processing applications but I could be wrong.

I got that couple weeks ago too. Let me know if you figured out what it is. I thought it’s because their admission office had some delays this years in processing applications but I could be wrong.

Will do! I’m still not really sure what it means, I know before I had some transcript issues and they misplaced mine. Might have something to do with that? Who knows, will Keep you posted!

Will do! I’m still not really sure what it means, I know before I had some transcript issues and they misplaced mine. Might have something to do with that? Who knows, will Keep you posted!
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think its just a decision from CSULB to accept you, not the actual PT program

Congrats, same here! What are your thoughts on the program? Have you visited the campus by any chance? I’ve been trying to make the trek from so cal but haven’t had the time.
Congrats! I'm also a socal resident joining the incoming fall class!

For anyone who applied to West Coast, how was their interview like?? I have my interview on Mar 15.

does anyone know if WesternU is taking people off the waitlist yet?

Just got an offer for admission to CSULB off the high-tier waitlist. I'll be declining so I hope this helps someone!

heard 3/25. got waitlisted by email. email states that ranking will be shared by mid-april

I’m waitlisted too, just wondering if anyone who attended the interview on 3/15 got accepted yet.

Hi everyone. I just got accepted for Chapmans summer cohort. But because the school does not do interviews I dont know too much about the school. Can anyone provide me advice or things I should know about the school?

I have been pulled off of 3 waitlists recently! I declined Franklin Pierce in Arizona, but now choosing between USC and Samuel Merritt. Does anyone have any information about what may make one school more appealing than the other? I know they're both expensive...

Is there anyone here who got accepted to West Coast U, but is planning on turning it down?

My stats:
Undergrad in Kinesiology: 3.5 cGPA at CSUN
Pre req science GPA: 3.45
GRE: 153 Quant, 149 Verbal, 4.0 AW
Hours: 1500+ hours inpatient, 100+ hours outpatient

Applied to: West Coast University

Interview invites: West Coast University (3/15)

Acceptances/Attending: West Coast University!! I received the acceptance letter on 4/5.

My stats aren't the best so I'm guessing my interview gave me a good boost..

Last edited:
My stats:
Undergrad in Kinesiology: 3.5 cGPA at CSUN
Pre req science GPA: 3.45
GRE: 153 Quant, 149 Verbal, 4.0 AW
Hours: 1500+ hours inpatient, 100+ hours outpatient

Applied to: West Coast University

Interview invites: West Coast University (3/15)

Acceptances: West Coast University!! I received the acceptance letter on 4/5.

My stats aren't the best so I'm guessing my interview gave me a good boost..
Congrats! Will you be attending? So far I’ve met one other person on this forum going, PM me if you’d like to connect with a future classmate!

Withdrew my spot from Samuel Merritt today . I hope someone on here accepts!

My hope of getting pulled off the ‘high tier’ list for Long Beach is dwindling with every passing day

My hope of getting pulled off the ‘high tier’ list for Long Beach is dwindling with every passing day
LOL same. I already have my school set but I am still waiting to hear from them in the back of my mind

Hi everyone. I just got accepted for Chapmans summer cohort. But because the school does not do interviews I dont know too much about the school. Can anyone provide me advice or things I should know about the school?

It is very pricey and the rent in that area is also pricey but other than that the school seemed very well established. The resources provided, such as the study area, the research room, and labs were very organized, clean, and seemed helpful for the students. Even during finals week, it did not seem busy. I did however find it lacking any social aspects. It is built several miles from the main campus and is literally 2 boxed grey "business" buildings. Still top ranked school!

Has anyone else been accepted into Samuel Merritt? I’m looking for people to live with and I’m planning to make my move to the Bay in July!

I just got accepted off the waitlist for Chapman’s fall cohort!

Please let me know your thoughts about my chances to get accepted in either Southern California or Las Vegas?

I am planning to apply for this upcoming cycle:

Undergrad and Grad: California State University, Northridge
Major Bachelor: Political Science
Major Masters: Political Science
Bachelor GPA: 3.67
Masters GPA: 3.81
Pre-Req GPA and Science: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.8ish
GRE Scores: Q-149 V-160 AW-3.5
Hours: 200 outpatient, Planning to do 60 -100 inpatient
LOR: 1 PT, 2 professors,

Planning to Apply: CSUN, Chapman, West Coast University, Mount Saint Mary, UNLV, Touro (NV), Azuza Pacific, Western University, Long Beach

I understand my quant score is not very great- I was having an off day. Unfortunately, I can't re-do the GRE for this period, as I might be very busy finishing my observation hours. But, please let me know what do you think of my chances to get accepted to any of these schools?

Last edited:
Please let me know your thoughts about my chances to get accepted in either Southern California or Las Vegas?

I am planning to apply for this upcoming cycle:

Undergrad and Grad: California State University, Northridge
Major Bachelor: Political Science
Major Masters: Political Science
Bachelor GPA: 3.67
Masters GPA: 3.81
Pre-Req GPA and Science: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.8ish
GRE Scores: Q-149 V-160 AW-3.5
Hours: 200 outpatient, Planning to do 60 -100 inpatient
LOR: 1 PT, 2 professors,

Planning to Apply: CSUN, Chapman, West Coast University, Mount Saint Mary, UNLV, Touro (NV), Azuza Pacific, Western University, Long Beach

I understand my quant score is not very great- I was having an off day. Unfortunately, I can't re-do the GRE for this period, as I might be very busy finishing my observation hours. But, please let me know what do you think of my chances to get accepted to any of these schools?

I have a bachelors and very similar stats. My verbal and quantitative scores were switched and I had a lower prerequ gpa (~3.7) with a writing score of 4.5. I believe your stats are pretty good! I would strongly advice in getting 2 PT letters as opposed to just one as most schools require 2. I have no idea why someone would want to go to USC, the cost is outrageous for the same education (do not believe it gives you better connections for jobs at all). Not to mention you most likely have some unneeded loans with a masters. UNLV is a much cheaper option and is a very solid program! I think you have a great chance for whatever school you go for :). Apply early!, that is a factor people often forget. PM me with any questions

For those who are losing hope this cycle and discouraged about reapplying... DONT

Undergrad and Grad: California State University, Long Beach
Major Bachelor: Kinesiology
Pre-Req GPA and Science: 3.0-3.2 depends on school
Overall GPA: 3.01 lol
GRE Scores: Best of 3 tries Q-156 V-154 AW-3.0
Hours: 300 outpatient (ADHC) , 80 inpatient
LOR: 2 PT (1 I have a direct working relationship and eventually became my mentor, the other is the head of volunteer program), 1 professor, 1 lab assistant
Xtra: Nothing really special: bilingual bible teacher, youth soccer coach

Applied: too many lol
Interviewed: UCSF
Waitlisted: Touro, Samuel Merritt
Rejected: UCSF and others

Accepted: Samuel Merritt of the waitlist (original positioned 46 :eek:)

I knew coming into this cycle that my stats barely meet the minimum requirements,, however I was like what the heck, just give it a try. I was so stoked to be waitlisted at a couple schools. My hope was all time high when I got an interview from UCSF, which was my number 1 choice. However, reality kicked in after getting rejected from UCSF. Although disappointed, I thought it was a very positive experience. So I put my head down and continue to improve my stats, accepting the fact that I most likely have to reapply next cycle. I am enrolled in Physio and Anatomy because these classes of mine expire by next cycle. I found another volunteer position AND started an aide job at an outpatient orthopedic (I thought my hours at the ADHC are not received as high as those from an actual outpatient rehab)
What I want to say if PT is your passion, dont give up! Keep pushing and you WILL get there. Be prepared for the worst but stay hopeful. If you need any encouragement, just look at my stats lol. I honestly think mine is right there with the lowest ever got admitted.
Thank you those who posted to keep me staying positive and good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a bachelors and very similar stats. My verbal and quantitative scores were switched and I had a lower prerequ gpa (~3.7) with a writing score of 4.5. I believe your stats are pretty good! I would strongly advice in getting 2 PT letters as opposed to just one as most schools require 2. I have no idea why someone would want to go to USC, the cost is outrageous for the same education (do not believe it gives you better connections for jobs at all). Not to mention you most likely have some unneeded loans with a masters. UNLV is a much cheaper option and is a very solid program! I think you have a great chance for whatever school you go for :). Apply early!, that is a factor people often forget. PM me with any questions
Thanks so much. I’ll definitely let you know. It seems you have done a lot of research. As far as GRE score, do you know if schools care more about the cumulative score or emphasize each section separately. Or perhaps it deferes from school to school? I’ll PM you some more questions later on if you don’t mind.

P.S. UNLV sounds like a great program. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I’ll definitely let you know. It seems you have done a lot of research. As far as GRE score, do you know if schools care more about the cumulative score or emphasize each section separately. Or perhaps it deferes from school to school? I’ll PM you some more questions later on if you don’t mind.

P.S. UNLV sounds like a great program. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I basically printed the entire PT list and listed some factors that I thought needed to be met for me to apply such as schools taking the better grade for a retake, cost being less than $110k, and the distance I was willing to be away from home. I know most schools have a minimum for each section so I feel like they do look at them individually but if one of them is low they look to see if the overall is above 300. But ofc each school is different

Undergrad: California State University San Bernardino, I applied in the Summer of 2018.
Major: Kinesiology-Allied Health
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-req GPA: about 3.35 (I had 2 C's early on in Gen. BIO and Anat&Physio 1 Freshman year that I was going to re-do before next cycle)
GRE Scores (I took the test twice, here is the better of the two): 156 V and 155 Q, 3.5 W
Hours: 104 Inpatient and 75 Outpatient (At the time of application, I only had about 70 inpatient hours and no Oupatient hours at all, but I put that I planned to do 100 of each In/Out, which I still intend on doing).
LOR: 1 PT, 2 Professors
Extras: Not a ton at the time of application, I was beginning my new job as a Lab Tech in our Exercise Physiology Lab at the time, I also had some hours volunteering with elementary school students during their P.E. class

Applied to: Loma Linda, Western U, Azusa Pacific University, and Chapman
Denied: Loma Linda (My pre-req GPA was too low for them)
Interviewed: Western U (Feb. 13) and Azusa Pacific (Apr. 5)
Waitlisted: Western U, Chapman
Accepted: Azusa Pacific for their class starting this coming new year, January 2020!

Undergrad: California State University San Bernardino, I applied in the Summer of 2018.
Major: Kinesiology-Allied Health
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-req GPA: about 3.35 (I had 2 C's early on in Gen. BIO and Anat&Physio 1 Freshman year that I was going to re-do before next cycle)
GRE Scores (I took the test twice, here is the better of the two): 156 V and 155 Q, 3.5 W
Hours: 104 Inpatient and 75 Outpatient (At the time of application, I only had about 70 inpatient hours and no Oupatient hours at all, but I put that I planned to do 100 of each In/Out, which I still intend on doing).
LOR: 1 PT, 2 Professors
Extras: Not a ton at the time of application, I was beginning my new job as a Lab Tech in our Exercise Physiology Lab at the time, I also had some hours volunteering with elementary school students during their P.E. class

Applied to: Loma Linda, Western U, Azusa Pacific University, and Chapman
Denied: Loma Linda (My pre-req GPA was too low for them)
Interviewed: Western U (Feb. 13) and Azusa Pacific (Apr. 5)
Waitlisted: Western U, Chapman
Accepted: Azusa Pacific for their class starting this coming new year, January 2020!
Hey, I did my interview with APU on May 17th and is waiting for a response. How long did it take for you to get a reply? Thanks!

University: Skidmore College
Major: Health and Exercise Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA (science and math): 3.15
GRE: 155v/ 150q/ 4.0aw

Extra-Curric: Peer Health Educator (4 years), Basketball Coach (3 years), PE teaching assistant (2 years), 8th/7th Grade Math Teacher (Summer Progam), Athletic Training Assistant (1 year)

Observation hours: outpatient 800+

Acceptances: Samuel Merritt

Rejections: Pacific University (Oregon) (did not meet min. science/math GPA)

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU (Feb 1), University of Colorado (declined)

Waiting on University of Washington (Seattle)

what helped you get into SMU?