California DPT Applicants 2019/2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi you guys,

I’ve recently been accepted to USC, Chapman, and MSMU and I have been having a hard time choosing the best option for me. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on pros/cons that you’ve found with any of these schools? I know that USC has a great reputation/network, but I haven’t heard too much about the programs at Chapman or MSMU. I know most people will say that all programs will prepare you for the board exam so one should go to the cheapest school, but I’m worried these other schools won’t have as good of clinical affiliations to help get me where in the setting I want to be after school. If anyone has heard anything about how these programs are viewed by others I would love the insight.

Thank you so much in advance and good luck with everyone else’s application/decision processes!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi you guys,

I’ve recently been accepted to USC, Chapman, and MSMU and I have been having a hard time choosing the best option for me. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on pros/cons that you’ve found with any of these schools? I know that USC has a great reputation/network, but I haven’t heard too much about the programs at Chapman or MSMU. I know most people will say that all programs will prepare you for the board exam so one should go to the cheapest school, but I’m worried these other schools won’t have as good of clinical affiliations to help get me where in the setting I want to be after school. If anyone has heard anything about how these programs are viewed by others I would love the insight.

Thank you so much in advance and good luck with everyone else’s application/decision processes!!

You are the first person I have heard that has gotten into Chapman. When did you hear from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard back on 1/16 and have until 1/27 to put down my deposit

Congratulations! Did you apply for the summer or fall cohort? I also applied to USC and Chapman and have yet to hear from both.

As far as I can tell the location matters significantly in terms of cost of living and, by extension, the relationships formed for clinicals. All my research from reading forums and hearsay is that USC tends to have more sports medicine-minded/"privileged" (interpret this how you will) students, whereas Chapman tends to look more at high grade achievers and develops knowledge over psychosocial/communication skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad School: small liberal arts school
Degree: B.A. International Relations, M.S. in Sports Management at public university
Cumulative GPA: 3.2 - 3.3
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0 (95% done at a community college)
GRE: 161V, 154Q, 4.0AWA
Observation Hours: Inpatient: 20 Outpatient: 500+
Applied: SDSU (top choice), Chapman, USC, CSU Northridge, University of Washington, University of Florida
Accepted: Northwestern
Waitlisted: CSU Northridge

Last edited:
Congratulations! Did you apply for the summer or fall cohort? I also applied to USC and Chapman and have yet to hear from both.

As far as I can tell the location matters significantly in terms of cost of living and, by extension, the relationships formed for clinicals. All my research from reading forums and hearsay is that USC tends to have more sports medicine-minded/"privileged" (interpret this how you will) students, whereas Chapman tends to look more at high grade achievers and develops knowledge over psychosocial/communication skills.

I applied for the summer cohort

Acceptances: RMUoHP
Rejections: Pacific U, CSUN, Sac State
Waitlist: N/A
Interviews: RMUoHP (1/17), Midwestern (1/24), West Coast (1/31), Western (2/20)

Got my first acceptance, rejection from CSUN, and interview from West Coast today.
Still waiting on Chapman but taking a prereq this Spring so I doubt I’ll hear back anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What date did you submit your West Coast app, if you don't mind me asking?

No thats super helpful info! Thank you so much! And yes, that's exactly where I pulled that information from, the PTCAS stats. Do you know if they have a decent anatomy lab? The cadaver lab is important to me.
They do have a cadaver lab, we visited it during the tour I took. If I’m remembering correctly, they don’t have enough cadavers for everyone to get their own, so you share with one or two other people. I think they said you work on that cadaver for 2 years.

Hey everyone, a bit late to the party but...
Undergraduate: Kinesiology Allied Health from California State University San Bernardino
Cumulative GPA: 3.47
PreReq GPA: 3.72
GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.5 AWA
Observation: 90 outpatient, 100 inpatient
Applied: West Coast University, USC, WesternU, Chapman
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: USC, West Coast (They informed me that I had to have completed my undergrad by Feb. for the fall cohort so I was rejected) WesternU (My supplemental application got messed up so I was disqualified)

TBH: I was very shocked when I found out you had to have completed your undergrad by February to be applicable for the fall start for West Coast, everyone else I talked to was surprised by that. That was an unfortunate waste of 100+ dollars for the schools that didn’t even consider me for one reason or another.

If there is anyone else out there that isn’t having good luck with applications I feel you. Hopefully we get in this cycle. If I were to not get accepted this cycle I would lose my health insurance so let’s pray for the best. Good luck all and congrats to those who received multiple acceptances.

Hi you guys,

Congratulations on getting in to Chapman! I am impatiently waiting to hear from them. I applied to both cohorts. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hey everyone, a bit late to the party but...
Undergraduate: Kinesiology Allied Health from California State University San Bernardino
Cumulative GPA: 3.47
PreReq GPA: 3.72
GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.5 AWA
Observation: 90 outpatient, 100 inpatient
Applied: West Coast University, USC, WesternU, Chapman
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: USC, West Coast (They informed me that I had to have completed my undergrad by Feb. for the fall cohort so I was rejected) WesternU (My supplemental application got messed up so I was disqualified)

TBH: I was very shocked when I found out you had to have completed your undergrad by February to be applicable for the fall start for West Coast, everyone else I talked to was surprised by that. That was an unfortunate waste of 100+ dollars for the schools that didn’t even consider me for one reason or another.

If there is anyone else out there that isn’t having good luck with applications I feel you. Hopefully we get in this cycle. If I were to not get accepted this cycle I would lose my health insurance so let’s pray for the best. Good luck all and congrats to those who received multiple acceptances.

Hey for West Coast I got denied for the same reason. I wanted to get my money back for applications because they had that info only under the FAQs, which is ridiculous

Hey for West Coast I got denied for the same reason. I wanted to get my money back for applications because they had that info only under the FAQs, which is ridiculous

Yeah I feel as though that information was not readily available to applicants and I was really disappointed by it. Oh well though, they don’t know what they are missing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptances: RMUoHP
Rejections: Pacific U, CSUN, Sac State
Waitlist: N/A
Interviews: RMUoHP (1/17), Midwestern (1/24), West Coast (1/31), Western (2/20)

Got my first acceptance, rejection from CSUN, and interview from West Coast today.
Still waiting on Chapman but taking a prereq this Spring so I doubt I’ll hear back anytime soon.

Update: Got my acceptance to Midwestern today! Probably will not accept the seat since I want to go to a CA school and I already paid 1k to hold a spot at RMUoHP

They do have a cadaver lab, we visited it during the tour I took. If I’m remembering correctly, they don’t have enough cadavers for everyone to get their own, so you share with one or two other people. I think they said you work on that cadaver for 2 years.

I accepted CSUN! I'll see you this Fall!! Is there a facebook group or anything going yet? I'd love to connect :)

Chapman thread from last year says that the school won't make any fall cohort decisions until after PTCAS academic update closes mid-Feb. Can anyone confirm?

I accepted CSUN! I'll see you this Fall!! Is there a facebook group or anything going yet? I'd love to connect :)
Congrats on making your decision. I look forward to seeing you in the fall. I haven’t found any groups yet. Let me know if you do.

Better late than never lol...

Undergrad: Cal State San Marcos
Degree: Kinesiology pre-Physical Therapy
cGPA: 3.64
pGPA: 3.79-3.85 depending on school

GRE: 148Q, 154V, 4.0AW

Observation Hours: 1200 hrs outpatient Ortho, 35 hrs inpatient SNF, 48 hrs outpatient Peds, 50 hrs pro bono clinic in Mexico

LOR: 2 PT’s, 1 Professor

Extras: Flying Samaritans, Meals on Wheels, Volunteer for several marathons, Rock Steady Boxing for PD, volunteer for local food pantry

Applied: USA (San Marcos, summer), SDSU, Sac State, Loma Linda, Fresno State, CSUN, West Coast, Western U

Interviews: USA (1/14), Sac State (1/25), Loma Linda (10/11), Fresno State (2/1), West Coast (declined), Western U (declined)

Waitlist: CSUN, Sac State

Acceptance: Loma Linda (1/23), USA (1/30)

Attending: TBD

Does anyone know when to expect to hear back from SDSU? Should be soon I would imagine?

I'm also waiting for Chapman's Fall decision but I don't expect it til around ~2/15 after all academic updates

Does anyone know when to expect to hear back from SDSU? Should be soon I would imagine?

I'm also waiting for Chapman's Fall decision but I don't expect it til around ~2/15 after all academic updates
I am also wondering about these schools. I hope it’s really soon SDSU will be ( if I get invited) my last interview!!

I am also wondering about these schools. I hope it’s really soon SDSU will be ( if I get invited) my last interview!!
SDSU does not conduct interviews. I think they will be sending out decisions this week or next

Better late than never lol...

Undergrad: Cal State San Marcos
Degree: Kinesiology pre-Physical Therapy
cGPA: 3.64
pGPA: 3.79-3.85 depending on school

GRE: 148Q, 154V, 4.0AW

Observation Hours: 1200 hrs outpatient Ortho, 35 hrs inpatient SNF, 48 hrs outpatient Peds, 50 hrs pro bono clinic in Mexico

LOR: 2 PT’s, 1 Professor

Extras: Flying Samaritans, Meals on Wheels, Volunteer for several marathons, Rock Steady Boxing for PD, volunteer for local food pantry

Applied: USA (San Marcos, summer), SDSU, Sac State, Loma Linda, Fresno State, CSUN, West Coast, Western U

Interviews: USA (1/14), Sac State (1/25), Loma Linda (10/11), Fresno State (2/1), West Coast (declined), Western U (declined)

Waitlist: CSUN, Sac State

Acceptance: Loma Linda (1/23), USA (1/30), SDSU (2/4) Fresno State (2/6)

Attending: SDSU

Update!!!

Last edited:
I also got waitlisted at SDSU, does anyone know how many approximately make it in off the waitlist?

I also got waitlisted at SDSU, does anyone know how many approximately make it in off the waitlist?

When I visited the program last summer, I believe they said they pull about 5-7 applicants from the waitlist each year.

Undergrad School: small liberal arts school
Degree: B.A. International Relations, M.S. in Sports Management at public university
Cumulative GPA: 3.2 - 3.3
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0 (95% done at a community college)
GRE: 161V, 154Q, 4.0AWA
Observation Hours: Inpatient: 20 Outpatient: 500+
Applied: SDSU (top choice), Chapman, USC, CSU Northridge, University of Washington, University of Florida
Accepted: Northwestern, UF
Waitlisted: CSU Northridge, USC
Rejected: SDSU

Update...gutted about SDSU.

Hey guys! So I applied to Loma Linda. I got invited for the supplemental back in November or something. Completed it. I never heard anything from them. I tried emailing, calling, leaving voicemails...but nothing. Now today, I see that I’m getting a letter from their office of admissions in the mail today (thanks to USPS delivery digest). I’m so confused and eager to see what the letter is about!

I'm currently in the SDSU DPT program as a first-year and from my class, there are only four of us that were on the waitlist.

I'm currently in the SDSU DPT program as a first-year and from my class, there are only four of us that were on the waitlist.

Oh wow, well hopefully I'm near the top of that list...

Hi you guys,

I got my acceptance to MSMU earlier this week. Ive heard that they have a very rigorous anatomy the first year and neuro classes later on, but that it will prepare you well.

I got my acceptance to MSMU earlier this week. Ive heard that they have a very rigorous anatomy the first year and neuro classes later on, but that it will prepare you well.

Congrats on getting in & accepting! I also accepted mine from MSMU last month!

Hey has anyone heard from UoP after the interviews or know when we are supposed to hear back?:)

Chapman thread from last year says that the school won't make any fall cohort decisions until after PTCAS academic update closes mid-Feb. Can anyone confirm?

Just got my acceptance from Chapman today! Hopefully you get some good news soon!!

Hey guys! So I applied to Loma Linda. I got invited for the supplemental back in November or something. Completed it. I never heard anything from them. I tried emailing, calling, leaving voicemails...but nothing. Now today, I see that I’m getting a letter from their office of admissions in the mail today (thanks to USPS delivery digest). I’m so confused and eager to see what the letter is about!

Just to let everyone know, what I got in the mail was a rejection letter with information about their other programs. I don't understand why they couldn't just email me a "no". LOL

UPDATE

Early Decision
: No

Regular Decision: CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, Western University of Health Sciences, West Coast University, Chapman University (both cohorts), Loma Linda University, University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020), UNLV, and South College (Summer 2020)

#1 Choice: CSU Fresno, Western University of Health Sciences, or Chapman University

Accepted: University of St. Augustine (Summer 2020), South College (June 2020), CSU Fresno (Fall 2020)

Interview granted: South College (interviewed on 10/30/19), University of St. Augustine (interviewed on 11/5/19), UNLV (declined interview invitation for 1/25/20), Western University of Health Sciences (interviewed on 1/30/20), West Coast University (interviewed on 1/31/20), Fresno State (interviewed on 2/1/20)

Waitlisted: CSU Long Beach (low-tier)

Denied: CSU Northridge, Loma Linda University

Attending: TBD

Is there anyone who hasn’t heard from USC yet?
Check all of your inboxes/folders! My acceptance letter was actually in my spam, so I’m glad I did and didn’t miss it bc that would have been tragic lol. I submitted my app end of November and heard back exactly one month after the deadline on January 2nd!

Better late than never!
San Jose State University
Major Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-req: 3.2-3.4 (depending on school)
GRE: V 147, Q 150, 3.5 writing
Extras: 100 hrs outpatient ortho, 45 hrs skilled nursing, 30 hrs acute hospital, Pre-PT Club, Resident Advisor, Fraternity Chair Positions, Cum Laude, Deans list, Volunteer at Church & Community Center
LOR: 2 physical therapists, 2 faculty

Applied: USC, WesternU, Azusa, West Coast, Samuel Meritt, Loma Linda, UCSF, Mount St Marys, Touro NV

Interviews: UCSF (1/11), West Coast (1/31), WesternU (2/4)

Acceptances: West Coast (2/18)

Waitlists: SMU, Touro NV

Rejections: APU, UCSF, Loma Linda (pre req too low)

Attending: West Coast, so excited to start!!

Last edited:
Just got waitlisted to West Coast University and Mount Saint Mary's University :(

Did you get an invite for an interview?