California DPT Applicants 2019/2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my first acceptance letter of this cycle!

Updated:

Undergrad School: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Degree: B.S. Biology, Minor: Physiology
Cumulative GPA: 3.63
Prerequisite GPA: 3.4-3.65 depending on program
GRE: 152V, 158Q, 4.0AWA
Observation Hours: Inpatient: 96 hrs in a Rehab/Sub-Acute Rehab setting (General ortho, Neuro, Geriatrics)
Outpatient: 211 hrs in a Free Standing PT setting (General ortho)
Outpatient: 40 hrs in a Wellness/Prevention/Fitness setting (General ortho & Sports)

Applied: WesternU, Mount Saint Mary's, Northridge
Interviewing: WesternU (1/28/20)
Admitted: MSMU (12/21/19)
Rejected:
When did you submit your app for MSMU if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance from CSUN on Wednesday (12/18) (as did a good friend of mine though she is unsure if she’ll go there or Northern Arizona U, where she also got in).

For those who may askmy stats are below.
Pre-req gpa- 4.0
Combined gpa- 3.81
GRE- 162v, 157q, 4.0a
Observation hrs- 201 in outpatient clinics (ortho, sports med, and pediatric)
4 letters of req- 2PTs, 1 professor, 1 employer

I’ve accepted the position since CSUN was my top choice. Good luck for those waiting to hear from their places!

I received an email from CSULB about their open house. Anyone else? Wondering if that goes to all applicants...

I got one too. That was after I got an email saying my application went for a final review. The email says it doesn't affect our application status, but come on.. If we present well and be memorable at the open house it can only help our chances.

I know some of you have heard from them but I'm wondering how many of you have heard from CSUN or LLU? They are the two programs that have been completely silent with their interactions with me. I did get invited to do LLU supplemental, which I completed and turned in well on time. But since then I haven't heard much other than your application is being reviewed. I tried reaching out to them but got no response.

I know some of you have heard from them but I'm wondering how many of you have heard from CSUN or LLU? They are the two programs that have been completely silent with their interactions with me. I did get invited to do LLU supplemental, which I completed and turned in well on time. But since then I haven't heard much other than your application is being reviewed. I tried reaching out to them but got no response.

I submitted LLU’s secondary app way back in September and got an interview. I know people who submitted In November and had interviews also.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I submitted LLU’s secondary app way back in September and got an interview. I know people who submitted In November and had interviews also.

Yes, I did mine in November. I wonder what happened with mine then? I guess I can try calling on Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, is CSULB a good program? Is it a good area to live around? Should I finish my secondary application?

I applied to CSUN and haven't heard anything at all from them yet!

Reactions: 1 users
CSUN Finally got back to me today. . Denied because I didn't have 200 hours. A small detail I didn't notice when doing all my applications (I have about 150). I haven't seen another program require as many hours as them. Good luck to you all!

Received an acceptance to USC’s residential program at the end of the last week! :soexcited:

I applied to CSUN and haven't heard anything at all from them yet!
CSUN sent out their initial acceptances in mid December. They gave us until January 6 to tell them if we accepted or not. Depending on how many people from the original acceptance list said yes, I’d say at this point they are probably close to sending out their waitlist numbers. I know of 4 people (including myself in the count) who received one of the initial acceptances. I accepted and can’t wait to go. Another turned it down. The third accepted but will drop it if they get accepted at their top school. I don’t know what the fourth chose to do.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on your acceptance! I just got offered a spot on the high tier waitlist... so next best thing?

Thanks a lot! Yes of course! Good luck. Will you be attending the open house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I will. Hopefully I'll see you there.

Just curious, to get a sense of a time frame, did they mention how long you have to accept or reject their offer?

Yes I will. Hopefully I'll see you there.

Just curious, to get a sense of a time frame, did they mention how long you have to accept or reject their offer?

I will be! The email indicated I had until the 31st to get back to them.

I was placed on the high tier waitlist for Long Beach. Not sure if I’ll accept it or not (currently leaning towards no)

Late to the party, but here is some info for me:

Undergrad School: California State University East Bay
Degree: B.S. Kinesiology, Minor: Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.01
Prerequisite GPA: 3.54
GRE: 154V, 150Q, 4.0AWA
Observation Hours: Inpatient: 96 Outpatient:1000+
Worked for a kinesiology research laboratory, disability services, and the Northern California Special Olympics before becoming a PT Aide.
Applied: Sacramento State, Samuel Merritt, University of the Pacific, St. Augustine, Western U
Interviewing: Sacramento State (1/25)
Waitlisted: Samuel Merritt
Rejected: Western U, UoP

The GPAs PTCAS calculated for me was much lower than I anticipated! I waited to submit an application to St. Augustine until this month. I hope to hear back from them soon~

To anybody who received a rejection from Sac State, there’s a chance you may still get an interview invitation. They rejected me last month but emailed me earlier this week inviting me to interview, Just an FYI to those who applied there and are awaiting interview opportunities. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
To anybody who received a rejection from Sac State, there’s a chance you may still get an interview invitation. They rejected me last month but emailed me earlier this week inviting me to interview, Just an FYI to those who applied there and are awaiting interview opportunities. Good luck.
Same. Did anyone pick up the phone for you after you submitted your Cal State Apply fee? The email says to call them immediately after but I didn't get a Sac State ID.

Same. Did anyone pick up the phone for you after you submitted your Cal State Apply fee? The email says to call them immediately after but I didn't get a Sac State ID.
The email said to call between 9 and 5, but I turned down my invite. I got into a school in my home state and paid my deposit already. Maybe the state app has to be processed first?

I received my acceptance from CSUN on Wednesday (12/18) (as did a good friend of mine though she is unsure if she’ll go there or Northern Arizona U, where she also got in).

For those who may askmy stats are below.
Pre-req gpa- 4.0
Combined gpa- 3.81
GRE- 162v, 157q, 4.0a
Observation hrs- 201 in outpatient clinics (ortho, sports med, and pediatric)
4 letters of req- 2PTs, 1 professor, 1 employer

I’ve accepted the position since CSUN was my top choice. Good luck for those waiting to hear from their places!

I got my acceptance from CSUN this week! I'm so happy, but so torn between CSUN and Northwestern. I'm a little concerned that CSUN may be a bit more geared towards sports medicine... and also a little nervous about it being a mostly male cohort. I'd be super interested in any thoughts you have on this! And congrats on getting into your top choice!

I got my acceptance from CSUN this week! I'm so happy, but so torn between CSUN and Northwestern. I'm a little concerned that CSUN may be a bit more geared towards sports medicine... and also a little nervous about it being a mostly male cohort. I'd be super interested in any thoughts you have on this! And congrats on getting into your top choice!
Congrats! I agree that CSUN seems geared towards sports medicine, probably in big part due to their relationship with the Dodgers. However, I’ve looked at the course catalog and feel confident that I’ll get a rounded PT education. They have two semesters of Neurologic practice, a semester of cardiovascular and pulmonary practice, a semester of pediatric practice, a semester of geriatric practice, and a semester of orthotics and prosthetics (among others). They also offer an international trip as an elective in your third year where you can spend a week working with people in a developing country who don’t have regular access to PTs.
(for more info see here-https://catalog.csun.edu/academics/pt/programs/dpt-physical-therapy/
And here- https://www.csun.edu/sites/default/files/DPT Group Advisement PPT Slides v2018 Aug_0.pdf )
Regarding the “mostly male cohort”, I’m assuming you got that from PTCAS’s program information which listed the incoming class profile as 66% male/34% female. I don’t think that statistic is representative of the entire program. Their 2018 graduating class had only 8 men out of 28 students. Their 2019 graduating class had 13 men out of 32 students. And out of the 9 full time faculty I found, only one is male. So I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about if that is a concern of yours.
Sorry for the long post. I hope this information helps you make your decision. Congrats again!

Hello,

I applied to CSULB and got on their high tier wait list. Anyone know about how many people are on this list by any chance? Also what are the chances of making it off the high-tier list and getting accepted if possible?

CSUN sent out their initial acceptances in mid December. They gave us until January 6 to tell them if we accepted or not. Depending on how many people from the original acceptance list said yes, I’d say at this point they are probably close to sending out their waitlist numbers. I know of 4 people (including myself in the count) who received one of the initial acceptances. I accepted and can’t wait to go. Another turned it down. The third accepted but will drop it if they get accepted at their top school. I don’t know what the fourth chose to do.

I haven't heard back from CSUN either. I don't think I got rejected, but possibly be a number on the waitlist. I'm hoping for the best and see what happens.

Hello,

I applied to CSULB and got on their high tier wait list. Anyone know about how many people are on this list by any chance? Also what are the chances of making it off the high-tier list and getting accepted if possible?

My guess is you will have a better idea regarding your status after January 31st. That is the deadline they gave us to accept/decline the offer. I also applied to CSUN and just heard back yesterday. I am #91 on the waitlist.

My guess is you will have a better idea regarding your status after January 31st. That is the deadline they gave us to accept/decline the offer. I also applied to CSUN and just heard back yesterday. I am #91 on the waitlist.

I still haven’t heard back from CSUN yet. Anyone else have not? Hoping for wait list at this point

CSULB doesn't do rankings, so regardless who accepts and declines the positions offered, I'll still be in the dark. If anyone knows where to find stats about the the high tier list (such as # of candidates and # of people who got accepted off the waitlist) that would be super helpful!

And congrats on getting on the waitlist to CSUN! Better waitlisted than rejected for sure. Hope you get in. Is it your top choice?

CSULB doesn't do rankings, so regardless who accepts and declines the positions offered, I'll still be in the dark. If anyone knows where to find stats about the the high tier list (such as # of candidates and # of people who got accepted off the waitlist) that would be super helpful!

And congrats on getting on the waitlist to CSUN! Better waitlisted than rejected for sure. Hope you get in. Is it your top choice?

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Hope you hear back soon. I have already accepted the offer from CSULB!

I still haven’t heard back from CSUN yet. Anyone else have not? Hoping for wait list at this point

That’s weird, I received an email last night (maybe like 8PM?) from CSUN with my waitlist number.

still haven’t heard from either Long Beach or Northridge! Congrats to all the people getting positions!! :) fingers crossed for everybody!

For those who got accepted to CSUN, how long are they giving you to decide?

Congrats! I agree that CSUN seems geared towards sports medicine, probably in big part due to their relationship with the Dodgers. However, I’ve looked at the course catalog and feel confident that I’ll get a rounded PT education. They have two semesters of Neurologic practice, a semester of cardiovascular and pulmonary practice, a semester of pediatric practice, a semester of geriatric practice, and a semester of orthotics and prosthetics (among others). They also offer an international trip as an elective in your third year where you can spend a week working with people in a developing country who don’t have regular access to PTs.
(for more info see here-https://catalog.csun.edu/academics/pt/programs/dpt-physical-therapy/
And here- https://www.csun.edu/sites/default/files/DPT Group Advisement PPT Slides v2018 Aug_0.pdf )
Regarding the “mostly male cohort”, I’m assuming you got that from PTCAS’s program information which listed the incoming class profile as 66% male/34% female. I don’t think that statistic is representative of the entire program. Their 2018 graduating class had only 8 men out of 28 students. Their 2019 graduating class had 13 men out of 32 students. And out of the 9 full time faculty I found, only one is male. So I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about if that is a concern of yours.
Sorry for the long post. I hope this information helps you make your decision. Congrats again!

No thats super helpful info! Thank you so much! And yes, that's exactly where I pulled that information from, the PTCAS stats. Do you know if they have a decent anatomy lab? The cadaver lab is important to me.

Has anyone heard anything from Mount Saint Mary's College? and if you did, when did you submit your application?

Has anyone heard anything from Mount Saint Mary's College? and if you did, when did you submit your application?

I got accepted in December. I submitted my application back in September.

Acceptances: RMUoHP
Rejections: Pacific U, CSUN, Sac State
Waitlist: N/A
Interviews: RMUoHP (1/17), Midwestern (1/24), West Coast (1/31), Western (2/20)

Got my first acceptance, rejection from CSUN, and interview from West Coast today.
Still waiting on Chapman but taking a prereq this Spring so I doubt I’ll hear back anytime soon.

Acceptances: RMUoHP
Rejections: Pacific U, CSUN, Sac State
Waitlist: N/A
Interviews: RMUoHP (1/17), Midwestern (1/24), West Coast (1/31), Western (2/20)

Got my first acceptance, rejection from CSUN, and interview from West Coast today.
Still waiting on Chapman but taking a prereq this Spring so I doubt I’ll hear back anytime soon.

What was your GRE scores if you don’t mind sharing?