california med schools IS vs OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprepa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've heard different ideas about in state vs out of state acceptances into California med schools? Some people say all UC prefer in state while others say they prefer out of state over in state. Does anyone else have stats to back up either claim/any ideas regarding IS/OOS admission into CA med schools? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I've heard different ideas about in state vs out of state acceptances into California med schools? Some people say all UC prefer in state while others say they prefer out of state over in state. Does anyone else have stats to back up either claim/any ideas regarding IS/OOS admission into CA med schools? Thank you
@premedprepa, in response to your question, you can review the following resources (see below).

1. "U.S. Medical School Applications and Matriculants by School, State of Legal Residence, 2017-2018" at https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf.

2. You can also review statistical profiles for UC medical schools to identify the undergraduate institutions (e.g., California and out-of-state schools) represented by successful applicants. For instance:

UCSF: Student Demographics | UCSF Medical Education
UCLA: "No preference is given to state of residence. However, many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA." [See https://medschool.ucla.edu/workfiles/Site-System/Documents/DGSOMAdmissionsBrochure.pdf]
UCSD: https://meded.ucsd.edu/assets/21/File/Class Profile_ Entering 2017_final(2).pdf
UC Irvine: First-Year Class Profile | Medical Education | School of Medicine | University of California, Irvine
UC Davis: "UC Davis School of Medicine gives preference to California residents and to applicants who are United States citizens or permanent residents." See: Admissions policies | UC Davis School of Medicine Medical Student Policies

Hope this information is useful to you. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've heard different ideas about in state vs out of state acceptances into California med schools? Some people say all UC prefer in state while others say they prefer out of state over in state. Does anyone else have stats to back up either claim/any ideas regarding IS/OOS admission into CA med schools? Thank you
Stanford University School of Medicine matriculates more OOS than in-state residents: Stanford Medical School Admissions Profile and Analysis

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The wise gyngyn reports that only UCI anbd UCD have IS bias. UCR is a special case; they wants UCR grads, or people fromt he Inland Empire.

The reason that there is such an overall bias for IS among all the CA schools is that there are tons of talented CA pre-meds. UCLA alone could fill every med school seat in CA with its premed grads. That's why CA is a net exporter of medical students.

This is also one of the reasons why my DO school can net MD-caliber students...they want to stay on this side of the Missouri River, and not have to go to Philly, Albany or DC for med school.

Reactions: 1 users
The wise gyngyn reports that only UCI anbd UCD have IS bias. UCR is a special case; they wants UCR grads, or people fromt he Inland Empire.

The reason that there is such an overall bias for IS among all the CA schools is that there are tons of talented CA pre-meds. UCLA alone could fill every med school seat in CA with its premed grads. That's why CA is a net exporter of medical students.

This is also one of the reasons why my DO school can net MD-caliber students...they want to stay on this side of the Missouri River, and not have to go to Philly, Albany or DC for med school.

You Californians are so spoiled. Who doesn't love waking up early in the morning to scrape your car windshields or trudging in the sleet and snow for clinicals or dealing with the occasional hurricane of the East Coast or ... or... +pissed+. That being said, you guys should live a little and see how the rest of the country deals with the seasons. :hardy:

You Californians are so spoiled. Who doesn't love waking up early in the morning to scrape your car windshields or trudging in the sleet and snow for clinicals or dealing with the occasional hurricane of the East Coast or ... or... +pissed+. That being said, you guys should live a little and see how the rest of the country deals with the seasons. :hardy:
Not a Californian...I was talking about my students. We have to deal with blizzards and tornadoes. They have to deal with earthquakes and wildfires!

UCI has no stated preference for IS. The last time I spoke with them they were actually hoping for more OOS as they needed the tuition$...
The only two with an explicit bias for IS are UCR and UCD.

UCI has no stated preference for IS. The last time I spoke with them they were actually hoping for more OOS as they needed the tuition$...
The only two with an explicit bias for IS are UCR and UCD.

I think it’s kind of sad that the UC Meds don’t have a strong instate bias. It’s hard enough to be a premed in that unlucky state. Do they get any state funding?

I think it’s kind of sad that the UC Meds don’t have a strong instate bias.
Since it seems they all want to return for practice, there is little benefit to the state for educating them here, I'm afraid.
One could make the case that increasing OOS matriculants has a greater effect on the CA physician workforce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s kind of sad that the UC Meds don’t have a strong instate bias. It’s hard enough to be a premed in that unlucky state. Do they get any state funding?

Per @gonnif's post earlier, I'd say it looks like they have a pretty significant IS bias actually-over a 3x rate of acceptance.

Of the 754 matriculants at the 6 UC schools, 616 are CA residents or 81%. This includes UCLA and UCSF which could be considered top schools attracting top candidates nationally. UCSD “brand” is less so in this regard but still attracts national students. We also do not know how many of the OOS have in state connections. In some other states, most OOS are in fact connected with state.

I agree that their numbers suggest an instate bias, so why do some of their website imply that a bias doesn’t exist?

I agree that their numbers suggest an instate bias, so why do some of their website imply that a bias doesn’t exist?
Many of those OOS accepted at UCLA and UCSF (and probably UCSD to a lesser extent) are ALSO accepted at schools like Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, NYU, Chicago, etc. Many of the IS will choose to stay in CA, while many of the OOS will choose elsewhere, so when all is said and done it skews the matriculants to more IS. So while it appears to be a bias when looking at final matriculant list, it doesn't start out that way.

Reactions: 4 users