California Northstate College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup:

I guess the others and I still have a shot :)

Cheers!

Oh awesome! Northstate normally holds only one interview per month so this is different.

Members don't see this ad.

I also got an interview invitation for 4/20! I do feel like it is really late in the cycle though for interviews to be going on. I hope they do have seats left. I might decline this invitation if I can get accepted to another school beforehand..

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh awesome! Northstate normally holds only one interview per month so this is different.

i wonder if the reason why they are holding more interviews than usual is because people are possibly giving up their seats....its strange but at least more people are given the opportunity to get accepted so congrats to you all!!!:D

Last edited:
tomasis2cool and stagius24 how are u guys preparing for the interview...i just began some serious research last night. everyone says to relax and be myself lol thats easy to say when uve already had urs but ill take to that advise

what airport did u all use? the school site says Sacramento International Airport but idk why im having trouble with finding flights to that airport :confused::help::help:

what airport did u all use? the school site says Sacramento International Airport but idk why im having trouble with finding flights to that airport :confused::help::help:

the airpot code is SMF try expedia or orbitz to look for a flight

Last edited:
I need to buy my plane ticket soon. Problem is I don't know what time I should depart Sacramento on that Friday, 4/20. Does anybody know how long the interview process takes? How long I should expect to be there? And when it starts and ends?

I need to buy my plane ticket soon. Problem is I don't know what time I should depart Sacramento on that Friday, 4/20. Does anybody know how long the interview process takes? How long I should expect to be there? And when it starts and ends?

Had a friend that interviewed here. He said he didnt get out until 4 PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview process is definitely longer than the others that I have experienced. I suggest flying in the night before the interview so you have time to relax and get settled in. Also, you can get a good night sleep knowing that your already there. Fly out after the interview and have a drink at the airport to celebrate that its over and done with.:) Good luck!

has anybody that has been accepted submitted their academic updates/transcript to pharmcas yet?

Hi,

I am from SoCal and I flew in early that morning. The interview was at 12 and I was there at like 9 and I am glad I was early because it took a long time getting out of there, getting a car ect. Plus there is a Starbucks like 2 mins away from the school which made it perfect if you are there early. I then flew out that night at like 7. That way you don't have to rush at the end of the interview and can relax and get a drink at the bar after the looong day. Hope that helped!

Hi,

I am from SoCal and I flew in early that morning. The interview was at 12 and I was there at like 9 and I am glad I was early because it took a long time getting out of there, getting a car ect. Plus there is a Starbucks like 2 mins away from the school which made it perfect if you are there early. I then flew out that night at like 7. That way you don't have to rush at the end of the interview and can relax and get a drink at the bar after the looong day. Hope that helped!

Thank You for the info:)

Hello,

I have been granted an interview for 4/20 and I am a local here in Sacramento. I thought I'd jump into this thread in case anyone has any questions about the area. I'd also love to hear from anyone else who has thoughts on the 4/20 interview.

I have experienced group interviewing elsewhere, the goal of which may be similar to what they are seeking to discover about the candidates through the TBL excercise. I was lucky enough to have a great group with a great dynamic among which we were able to build off of each other. It would be great to hear from others interviewing on 4/20 to maybe get a jump-start on the experience. :D

Hello,

I have been granted an interview for 4/20 and I am a local here in Sacramento. I thought I'd jump into this thread in case anyone has any questions about the area. I'd also love to hear from anyone else who has thoughts on the 4/20 interview.

I have experienced group interviewing elsewhere, the goal of which may be similar to what they are seeking to discover about the candidates through the TBL excercise. I was lucky enough to have a great group with a great dynamic among which we were able to build off of each other. It would be great to hear from others interviewing on 4/20 to maybe get a jump-start on the experience. :D

I know someone who interviewed already awhile back. He said the tbl is just a fun exercise that you do and one team will win by having the highest score. The tbl is just that, it has no part in determining candidates or asked about in the interview. It is solely for your own enjoyment and so you get a taste of the school's methodology.

You don't interact with faculty or staff members during your TBL exercise so that wouldn't affect your chance at getting accepted or not, but of course if you do anything out of line... They group you into different teams by color and you work together to come up with the correct answers, you'd also get to experience what TBL is like since that's going to be the learning style for the next 4 years @ northstate. I thought it was pretty fun and a good icebreaker before all the interviews begin.

The whole thing ends around 4-5pm but they do offer lunch so you don't have to worry about being hungry =)

So for those who are interviewing on 4/20 and flying to the Sacramento area, which hotels do ya'll plan on staying at?

Hello,

I am coming in on the 19th and I wish I had somewhere else to stay instead of the marriott...this trip will cost me abt $800 or more... I pray to GOD that I get in .... Well on a more positive note (abt the 4/20 interview) i dont think there will be very many interviewees on this last interview like it has been on the others. :thumbup: could be a good thing

It's good to hear that the TBL will be more relaxed than I had thought. I am hoping to get a good feel for what the TBL experience is like at Northstate. I think it's great that they offer the exercise at the interview for that reason.

I really enjoyed today's interview at Northstate! The dean is very confident about tbl and why it is effective. I think tbl motivates you to learn and put effort into studying. Also a great way to get to know your fellow interviewees. They made me feel a lot calmer!
We were told they accept 10 people out of the total number of interviewees on a given date.

We were told they accept 10 people out of the total number of interviewees on a given date.

If that was the case, 10 x (7 total interview dates) = 70 people accepted

What about the remaining 36 people? For a class total of 106 people.

The majority of the rest that were not given acceptances get a waitlist position. Very few actually get rejected. They accept people from waitlist on a rolling basis too.

20 would sound more reasonable since they always accept more than the # seats

QUICK QUESTION: is there a bus i can take from San Francisco Airport to the school? or to the marriott hotel close to the school...or what is a cheap method of transportation from San Francisco Airport to the school area. :confused:

QUICK QUESTION: is there a bus i can take from San Francisco Airport to the school? or to the marriott hotel close to the school...or what is a cheap method of transportation from San Francisco Airport to the school area. :confused:

I highly recommend that you don't use San Francisco Airport o___o I wouldn't know the transportation costs, but I know that the distance from San Francisco to Rancho Cordova is a long one.

Last edited:

They have a sacramento airport. but i dont know the area enough about transportation from that airport to the school

you should take SMF airport and rent a car (use GPS) or take a cab....it is a little ways from the school but its not that far. im not from that area AT ALL so trust me i know how you feel. I had a room at ecno lodge (cant really remember where), but the night before i used GPS with my car rental and found the school. then the next day i got up a couple hours early, got to the school early and went to a nearby starbucks until it was time:) it all worked out!

you should take SMF airport and rent a car (use GPS) or take a cab....it is a little ways from the school but its not that far. im not from that area AT ALL so trust me i know how you feel. I had a room at ecno lodge (cant really remember where), but the night before i used GPS with my car rental and found the school. then the next day i got up a couple hours early, got to the school early and went to a nearby starbucks until it was time:) it all worked out!

Yeah, Sacramento airport (SMF) is the closest. I don't know how much cabs are, but if you don't want to rent a car, I can suggest SuperShuttle. Last time I used this service (3 years ago), it was ~$25 one-way. Double check on that though, I'm sure it varies by distance.

If you do plan on driving, I suggest GPS as well. When I first drove there, I kept missing the school because it was just one office building. You don't want to get lost there either. If you pass the school too far, you'll see fields of nothingness (except a small naval base if I recall correctly.)

most people with summer off tend to work in a pharmacy or do their IPPE's lol.

hey guys i also got an interview for the april 20 date and am nervous and scared too! oh dear. my first interview as well.

laude111 hopefully you're right about there not being too many people. maybe it won't be as nerve racking.

Really sad the dean is leaving, but the new dean is awesome. He's super friendly and seem to care about the students.
Some students hate TBL because we do so much, but at the end of the day, we retain more information. I can't go back to traditional lecture based classes anymore.
I suggest you guys fly in the night before, get a good night sleep because it's going to be a long day. SMF airport is about 30mn away without traffic so plan accordingly.

Really sad the dean is leaving, but the new dean is awesome. He's super friendly and seem to care about the students.
Some students hate TBL because we do so much, but at the end of the day, we retain more information. I can't go back to traditional lecture based classes anymore.
I suggest you guys fly in the night before, get a good night sleep because it's going to be a long day. SMF airport is about 30mn away without traffic so plan accordingly.

I hear the exact same thing. I know a student says its a lot of work because you are all on your own to learn the material so it takes even more time studying. He is used to it now and find guest lectures to be boring and waste of time.
However, he still suggest a traditional method over tbl.

So tbl works, but everyone would rather take the easy way out.

hey guys i also got an interview for the april 20 date and am nervous and scared too! oh dear. my first interview as well.

laude111 hopefully you're right about there not being too many people. maybe it won't be as nerve racking.

:D Everything is coming together quite nicely:)xf:) on my travel arrangements. Thanks guys for all the heads up u guys are awesome :thumbup: Cant wait!...I haven't been nervous yet but writing this just made me shiver a lil hehehe, ish is getting real lol Im quite excited
oh and I received my TBL pamphlet... some cool stuff...Catch up wt u all later

The only problem of going to northstate is having the money to pay for the tuition. You are on your own.

The only problem of going to northstate is having the money to pay for the tuition. You are on your own.

Well there are the private loans geared specifically for pharmacy students... but you are right, it is definitely a big minus. For class 2016, only the first year would require private loans if the school gets accredited next year.

Well there are the private loans geared specifically for pharmacy students... but you are right, it is definitely a big minus. For class 2016, only the first year would require private loans if the school gets accredited next year.
Yeah, definitely a big help if we can get some funds...I'm wondering does anyone apply for Smart option student load-salliemae? And what is your interest rate if you don't mind sharing :)?

Hi guys, I know its still before the 2 week period. But has anyone from the April 6th interview date heard back from CNUCP yet? I'm so anxious for a reply!

Yeah, definitely a big help if we can get some funds...I'm wondering does anyone apply for Smart option student load-salliemae? And what is your interest rate if you don't mind sharing :)?

I havent applied for the loan yet, I'm still deciding if I want to go to CNCP but I am going to guess that the interest rate will not be very low and I personally may need a co-signer but I hope not! Private pharmacy loans seem so scary :(

i cannot seem to find anymore private loans besides sallie mae and ed south

i cannot seem to find anymore private loans besides sallie mae and ed south
I would assume sallie mae is the best one, yet it still sounds scary. I applied and the rate for deffered payment option was 8.5% (with credit score >700 + co-signer), which i think is ridiculous :$. Anyone got a lower rate than this?

I would assume sallie mae is the best one, yet it still sounds scary. I applied and the rate for deffered payment option was 8.5% (with credit score >700 + co-signer), which i think is ridiculous :$. Anyone got a lower rate than this?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe that I was. Yellow group interviewed with the faculty member last right? If so, then I was. :)

I applied to sallie Mae with a consigner and got a really low rate :) but I didn't do the deferment payment plan. I did the one where I pay $25 a month. But still it's a lot of money to be taking out :(