California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wasn't looking to apply, I just think it's an interesting development since it's the first medical school that follows more of a profit system. Thanks for the info!

I think it's the first MD program to be for-profit. There are, I believe, for-profit DO programs. And of course for-profit offshore schools, such as in the Caribbean.
 
I think it's the first MD program to be for-profit. There are, I believe, for-profit DO programs. And of course for-profit offshore schools, such as in the Caribbean.

Yep, Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) is for-profit. They are top ranked when it comes to board scores (specifically COMLEX 1, obv. USMLE Step 1 is not there compared to MD programs). All in all they have been doing fine, no complaints.

Burrell on the other hand does have me worried, it was founded and funded by some investor who essentially has no exposure to medicine or the sciences at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From Throwaway's post in the CNU-specific thread:

For anyone interested, I averaged accepted students' MCATs and GPAs based on self reported stats on SDN. n=10
Average GPA: 3.49 Average MCAT: 32.8


LizzyM score of ~68;

By comparison,
SLU 3.9/33 = 71 (FYO: SLU has a GPA profile similar to Pitt, but is more forgiving of lower MCAT scores!)
MCW 3.8/32 = 70
Loyola 3.7/33 = 70

Oakland-B 3.8/31 = 69
Albany 3.7/32 = 69
UCD 3.7/32 = 69
Wake Forest 3.7/32 = 69
Drexel 3.7/32 = 69
Western MI 3.7/32 = 69

Rush 3.7/31 = 68
NYMC 3.6/32 = 68

Netter 3.6/31 = 67
CCOM 3.6/30 = 66
Touro-CA 3.5/30 = 65


What we see is, with a small N, self-reporting CNU acceptees pretty much at the bottom of the pack of the "low-tier" schools, and a tad ahead of the top COMs.

I conclude that the typical CNU matriculant will be someone who, in no particular order:

a) wants the MD > DO
b) wants to stay in CA
c) couldn't get into UCD
d) is a risk taker
e) all of the above [kudos to neurozot]

How are you doing your math for the LizzyM scores?
 
"No" is a denial. FYI.

I'm comparing PharmDs to PhDs. No one seems to have a problem with PhDs as teachers or interviewers, but they have a problem with PharmDs? Why?
A rising 2nd year is still a first year.

PhDs have expertise in the sciences. PharmDs have expertise in pharmaceuticals. They have as much common with us as PTs or OTs, in more one ways than one, including the rigor of training.

In any case I was laughing at your statement that PharmD's have extensive clinical training and talk to patients on a regular basis. I mean, lol.
 
A rising 2nd year is still a first year.

PhDs have expertise in the sciences. PharmDs have expertise in pharmaceuticals. They have as much common with us as PTs or OTs, in more one ways than one, including the rigor of training.

In any case I was laughing at your statement that PharmD's have extensive clinical training and talk to patients on a regular basis. I mean, lol.

PharmDs don't have expertise in the sciences? Do you know anything at all about the PharmD curriculum, and what PharmDs do in hospitals?

I see PharmDs all the time in the ER. There's a Pharmacist's Station reserved for the staff pharmacist right next to the main trauma rooms. There's no PhD Station.

PharmDs are not MDs. PhDs are not MDs. PharmDs and PhDs both teach basic and pathologic sciences at US medical schools.
 
Guys, this isn't about PharmDs. Can we focus on CNU?

Well, it is about whether the fact that CNU having a PharmD as an interviewer is an indication of gross incompetence.

Personally, I think the idea that a PharmD can teach me basic and pathological sciences, and work on a hospital floor, but not be part of the team interviewing me for acceptance (but a PhD can), is absurd.
 
I see PharmDs all the time in the ER. There's a Pharmacist's Station reserved for the staff pharmacist right next to the main trauma rooms. There's no PhD Station.

:claps: You have the funniest posts, bro. You really do.
 
PharmDs don't have expertise in the sciences? Do you know anything at all about the PharmD curriculum, and what PharmDs do in hospitals?

I see PharmDs all the time in the ER. There's a Pharmacist's Station reserved for the staff pharmacist right next to the main trauma rooms. There's no PhD Station.

PharmDs are not MDs. PhDs are not MDs. PharmDs and PhDs both teach basic and pathologic sciences at US medical schools.
Do you? This is turning from funny to sad. Pharmacists have about as much expertise in real science as DNPs. Incidentally, for both these professions, just because you slap a "D" on the degree doesn't suddenly lend them actual doctorate level qualifications.

God damn bro you see them ALL THE TIME in the ER? With all the time you spend in the hospital? Watch out, we got a badass over hurr. There's a janitor's station in the ED too maybe we should bring em up to do a couple interviews, yea?
 
Do you? This is turning from funny to sad. Pharmacists have about as much expertise in real science as DNPs. Incidentally, for both these professions, just because you slap a "D" on the degree doesn't suddenly lend them actual doctorate level qualifications.

God damn bro you see them ALL THE TIME in the ER? With all the time you spend in the hospital? Watch out, we got a badass over hurr. There's a janitor's station in the ED too maybe we should bring em up to do a couple interviews, yea?

You seem really angry at pharmacists. And you have no idea how much time I spend in the hospital. I could be a scribe, a researcher, a janitor, etc.

You're letting your emotions cloud your judgement and lead you to make wild assumption and accusations. Take a step back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did not qualify for private loan due to significant old loans from grad school. No rich parents. Have to withdraw my acceptance here. This is the end of my MD dream. The financial staffs at CNU try to help me but it seems the only thing they have is private loan anyway. Good luck to the rest of you guys still applying.

what about military scholarships? surely air force can't be that bad. I can pm you the info of the recruiter who has been emailing me if you want.
 
I already tried, did not work either. I am not even in my home right now; cannot gather all the applications and LORs before the class start. And as the recruiter said there is no guarantee either since CNU is a new school. I have some cash but not even enough for the first year anyway ; I cannot just spend all my cash for the tuition first and gamble on the army acceptance since I have a mortgage and family to pay for. My only realistic option is private loan which the bank denied me several times due to my huge student-loan from grad school.
 
I already tried, did not work either. I am not even in my home right now; cannot gather all the applications and LORs before the class start. And as the recruiter said there is no guarantee either since CNU is a new school. I have some cash but not even enough for the first year anyway ; I cannot just spend all my cash for the tuition first and gamble on the army acceptance since I have a mortgage and family to pay for. My only realistic option is private loan which the bank denied me several times due to my huge student-loan from grad school.

sorry to hear that, best of luck
 
I already tried, did not work either. I am not even in my home right now; cannot gather all the applications and LORs before the class start. And as the recruiter said there is no guarantee either since CNU is a new school. I have some cash but not even enough for the first year anyway ; I cannot just spend all my cash for the tuition first and gamble on the army acceptance since I have a mortgage and family to pay for. My only realistic option is private loan which the bank denied me several times due to my huge student-loan from grad school.
Not a silver bullet, but did you try your hand at LendingClub and/or Prosper? This type of loan is called P2P (peer-to-peer) lending and I recall there being a P2P service speficially to help people with funding for school (though my google-fu didn't turn anything up).

And I wouldn't give up on medicine just because of CNU. There are many other fishes in the sea.
 
Not a silver bullet, but did you try your hand at LendingClub and/or Prosper? This type of loan is called P2P (peer-to-peer) lending and I recall there being a P2P service speficially to help people with funding for school (though my google-fu didn't turn anything up).

And I wouldn't give up on medicine just because of CNU. There are many other fishes in the sea.

lending club's website says "Personal loans for up to $35,000". I don't think that's gonna cut it for med school tuition.
 
But 38.7 + 32.6 = 71.3.

I presume all the numbers shown are rounded.
That's interesting. I always assumed that GPAs were truncated, and not rounded. I mean, you wouldn't say that someone with a 3.95 had a 4.0 GPA.
 
That's interesting. I always assumed that GPAs were truncated, and not rounded. I mean, you wouldn't say that someone with a 3.95 had a 4.0 GPA.

No, GPAs get rounded. Friend of mine had a 3.996 get calculated to a 4.00. Anyway, the chart you took issue with wasn't some official GPA calculation, it was a compilation of self-reported stats. Plus it's generally much safer to assume data has been rounded than truncated unless it actually says so.
 
You seem really angry at pharmacists. And you have no idea how much time I spend in the hospital. I could be a scribe, a researcher, a janitor, etc.

You're letting your emotions cloud your judgement and lead you to make wild assumption and accusations. Take a step back.
You seem incapable of reading emotions properly, unsurprisingly.

So.. are you a scribe, a researcher (lol) or a janitor? And in this role, how are you capable of debating me on any of this.

Can't wait for you to hit clinical year and tell your residents how much you know about everyone's roles. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
 
You seem incapable of reading emotions properly, unsurprisingly.

So.. are you a scribe, a researcher (lol) or a janitor? And in this role, how are you capable of debating me on any of this.

Can't wait for you to hit clinical year and tell your residents how much you know about everyone's roles. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Dude, what's your problem? What, exactly, is wrong with PharmDs being part of interview panels?

Also, I didn't say a word about anyone's role, beyond the fact that on the hospital floor PharmDs have one and PhDs don't.
 
Dude, what's your problem? What, exactly, is wrong with PharmDs being part of interview panels?

Nothing inherently, I was from the beginning laughing at your understanding of their training and clinical roles, not whatever it is they're doing at CNU. That being said I wonder if you'd passionately defend RNs being part of interview panels as well. I had a passing lol until you kept trying to hilariously pass off your deeply flawed knowledge as legitimate.

Also, I didn't say a word about anyone's role, beyond the fact that on the hospital floor PharmDs have one and PhDs don't.

I meant in your allegedly possible role that puts you in the hospital all the time. When you're in a hole just stop digging man, dragging your heels and making up justifications. Obviously you don't have the experience or the knowledge about which you're talking, just admit as much and maybe you'll learn something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing inherently, I was from the beginning laughing at your understanding of their training and clinical roles, not whatever it is they're doing at CNU. That being said I wonder if you'd passionately defend RNs being part of interview panels as well. I had a passing lol until you kept trying to hilariously pass off your deeply flawed knowledge as legitimate.



I meant in your allegedly possible role that puts you in the hospital all the time. When you're in a hole just stop digging man, dragging your heels and making up justifications. Obviously you don't have the experience or the knowledge about which you're talking, just admit as much and maybe you'll learn something.
He's right that a PhD does not imply more relevant knowledge than a PharmD though...I know plenty of PhDs that don't know the first thing about the Med process. In the end who really cares about the title? The important knowledge drawn on by adcoms isn't taught in either type of grad degree program
 
Nothing inherently, I was from the beginning laughing at your understanding of their training and clinical roles, not whatever it is they're doing at CNU. That being said I wonder if you'd passionately defend RNs being part of interview panels as well.

Do RNs teach at medical schools now? The knowledge base of PharmDs and RNs is dramatically different. PharmDs teach medical students. RNs don't.

I meant in your allegedly possible role that puts you in the hospital all the time. When you're in a hole just stop digging man, dragging your heels and making up justifications. Obviously you don't have the experience or the knowledge about which you're talking, just admit as much and maybe you'll learn something.

My role has nothing to do with anything. I have zero role in patient care. Between shadowing, volunteering, and being a research assistant I've spent ~300 hours in the ER so far. That doesn't qualify me to know anything whatsoever about emergency medicine, but I know I've seen PharmDs - and not PhDs - collaborating with physicians there on patient care.
 
He's right that a PhD does not imply more relevant knowledge than a PharmD though...I know plenty of PhDs that don't know the first thing about the Med process. In the end who really cares about the title? The important knowledge drawn on by adcoms isn't taught in either type of grad degree program
Absolutely. I've mentioned somewhere in this thread previously that I find qualifications of your preclinical instructors are completely irrelevant.

In an adcom situation it's a bit different. Working with doctors is not at all the same as working as one. If it's MMI I don't see why anyone off the street couldn't do the scoring. For traditional interviews, though, I feel very strongly that only an MD/DO can properly gauge all of the intangibles as it relates to our career.
 
Absolutely. I've mentioned somewhere in this thread previously that I find qualifications of your preclinical instructors are completely irrelevant.

In an adcom situation it's a bit different. Working with doctors is not at all the same as working as one. If it's MMI I don't see why anyone off the street couldn't do the scoring. For traditional interviews, though, I feel very strongly that only an MD/DO can properly gauge all of the intangibles as it relates to our career.
so in theory you disagree with Goro working on an adcom? I do agree that I'd rather have MD/DO above all else
 
Do RNs teach at medical schools now? The knowledge base of PharmDs and RNs is dramatically different. PharmDs teach medical students. RNs don't.
Your ipso facto fallacy is hurting my eyeballs.

My role has nothing to do with anything. I have zero role in patient care. Between shadowing, volunteering, and being a research assistant I've spent ~300 hours in the ER so far. That doesn't qualify me to know anything whatsoever about emergency medicine, but I know I've seen PharmDs - and not PhDs - collaborating with physicians there on patient care.

So to paraphrase - you have done nothing of consequence in the hospital (not your fault, you are a first year) but feel like you can seriously judge this better than a resident?
 
so in theory you disagree with Goro working on an adcom? I do agree that I'd rather have MD/DO above all else

To quote a phrase you'll hear ad nauseum in medicine - we shouldn't let perfect get in the way of good. In my alma mater there were non-MD interviewers and I'm sure they were perfectly capable. But I don't think that's the ideal ideal scenario.

I've only been on MMI interviews. Do most medical schools not doing MMI-style use physicians exclusively?

I would think so but I have no idea. I was never interviewed by a non-physician

Judge... what? What do you think I'm judging or saying here, exactly? I think there might be some miscommunication here.
Listen dude, I'm gonna dial back my condescension here and give you some real advice - just because they teach at med schools doesn't give anyone or any profession an automatic elevated knowledge.

Pharmacists are NOT trained clinically, especially not in the way we talk about as physicians. Just because they work clinically doesn't translate to clinical knowledge in the manner we bandy about as docs. This isn't to disparage them (they are invaluable) or their knowledge (very specialized for what they do) but the stuff you've been saying is just not true. You can do a BS/PharmD combined in 5 years in some places. Just think about that.
 
Last edited:
it's tough trying to read through the stupidity of this thread to get to some helpful info about CNUCOM. Does anyone know if the 2014 class is full or not. Still haven't heard anything.
 
Listen dude, I'm gonna dial back my condescension here and give you some real advice - just because they teach at med schools doesn't give anyone or any profession an automatic elevated knowledge.

Pharmacists are NOT trained clinically, especially not in the way we talk about as physicians. Just because they work clinically doesn't translate to clinical knowledge in the manner we bandy about as docs. This isn't to disparage them (they are invaluable) or their knowledge (very specialized for what they do) but the stuff you've been saying is just not true. You can do a BS/PharmD combined in 5 years in some places. Just think about that.

Ah there's your misunderstanding.

Not once have I in any way compared pharmacists to physicians. I've been comparing PharmDs to PhDs.

No wonder you were getting so uppity and condescending. Try reading the posts you're replying to next time.
 
Ah there's your misunderstanding.

Not once have I in any way compared pharmacists to physicians. I've been comparing PharmDs to PhDs.

No wonder you were getting so uppity and condescending. Try reading the posts you're replying to next time.
I didn't "misunderstand" sht. Your statements re: PharmD training were in absolutes, not relatives. I never said you were comparing pharmacists to physicians so maybe you can take your own advice and learn to read. And write, for that matter. *****.
 
I didn't "misunderstand" sht. Your statements re: PharmD training were in absolutes, not relatives. I never said you were comparing pharmacists to physicians so maybe you can take your own advice and learn to read. And write, for that matter. *****.

Classy.

Anyway, you said:

"Pharmacists are NOT trained clinically, especially not in the way we talk about as physicians. Just because they work clinically doesn't translate to clinical knowledge in the manner we bandy about as docs."

You're clearly comparing pharmacist training and experience to physicians. I'm not. Nothing I said about pharmacists is false: they have clinical training and work around and with patients. Not in the way that MDs do, no, but I never said or implied that.
 
Jonny, let it go.


Classy.

Anyway, you said:

"Pharmacists are NOT trained clinically, especially not in the way we talk about as physicians. Just because they work clinically doesn't translate to clinical knowledge in the manner we bandy about as docs."

You're clearly comparing pharmacist training and experience to physicians. I'm not. Nothing I said about pharmacists is false: they have clinical training and work around and with patients. Not in the way that MDs do, no, but I never said or implied that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would any kind soul who has been keeping up on this thread mind posting a tl;dr for the pros/cons discussed?
Not that I don't enjoy reading a good ol' flame war from time to time 🙂
 
Would any kind soul who has been keeping up on this thread mind posting a tl;dr for the pros/cons discussed?
Not that I don't enjoy reading a good ol' flame war from time to time 🙂

Faculty looks marginal at best, no federal loans, for-profit, and administration is iffy. Some people who have interviewed there have given it a pretty solid thumbs up, but there are also reports that physicians in the area are skeptical (to be kind).

Personally, just given what I've read in this thread, it doesn't sound *too* bad, and I have *some* trust in the LCME not to accredit a total failure.
 
$10 says the next MSAR shows they hit above the national median for MCAT and GPA despite all the cons

****ing California

They probably will meet national median MCAT or more. GPA less so. there are lots of non trads accepted.