california requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landa29x

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you graduate from med school in the Philippines, you only have ONE year of Clinicals... what happens if you wanna practice in California as general physician OR tryin to get the california letter (requirement for residency)... Clinical rotation is 2 years in the US, so Philippines schools don't qualify/are defecient in clinical hours. Does it mean that it's highly suggested to go thru Senior Internship first before proceeding ?? ... or am i misunderstanding the california licensing requirement. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

landa29x said:
If you graduate from med school in the Philippines, you only have ONE year of Clinicals... what happens if you wanna practice in California as general physician OR tryin to get the california letter (requirement for residency)... Clinical rotation is 2 years in the US, so Philippines schools don't qualify/are defecient in clinical hours. Does it mean that it's highly suggested to go thru Senior Internship first before proceeding ?? ... or am i misunderstanding the california licensing requirement. thanks.

For a question like this, you might be best served by going directly to the source to avoid any misunderstandings.

Miklos said:
For a question like this, you might be best served by going directly to the source to avoid any misunderstandings.

yeah you're right... i was just wondering what other filipino graduates did... i should've put "for philippine student" also on the title of this thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
you can do a search for similar topics, i'm sure someone has posted some info on this before. in the meantime i'll go through some of my files, i think i might have some info on this.

i do remember that california has a 72 week requirement, so you'll probably have to do 20 extra weeks of senior internship (UE ka ba?). however, there have been certain instances when IMGs have been allowed to make up their clinical training deficiencies in california.

happy hunting.

hi, i requested some info from Pat Park ([email protected] you might want to contact her directly as some things might have changed since then) at the med board in cali on this same subject some time ago and she sent me this

Pat Park, Foreign Schools Liaison, Medical Board of California

California law requires all applicants to have completed 72 weeks of hands-on clinical clerkships during medical school in approved teaching hospitals. My understanding is that for Philippine students, our Board applies the fourth-year clerkships and the internship year clerkships toward the 72-week requirement. If a Philippine medical school student did not complete the internship year clerkships in one of the medical school's major affiliate teaching hospitals, he/she receives only 18 weeks of free elective credit for the internship year, and the student is usually deficient in the total 72 weeks of clinical training required in California law. I believe the deficiency is usually in elective (not core) clinical training, but I could be wrong.

If applicants with elective deficiencies apply to begin residency training programs in California, they will have the option of remedying their deficiencies in approved teaching hospitals prior to beginning residency training OR (if the residency training program that wishes to match them is willing) they may use the first couple of weeks of their residency training to remedy the number of weeks of their clinical elective deficiency. This does not work so simply if their deficiency is in a required core clerkship.

Important points:

- The remedial training and the residency training are not completed concurrently (i.e., "double counted"). If applicants match with a California residency program, they must remedy any undergraduate clinical training deficiencies BEFORE they begin the two years of residency training required for licensure in California.

- Applicants cannot begin any required remedial training until AFTER they have received written permission from this office. This is especially true if the remedial training will be completed in a California teaching hospital.

- If an applicant with elective training deficiencies applies for California licensure after having completed more than 2 years of residency training in another state, it's possible that their "excess" residency training will remedy their deficiency. Of course, this will NOT be true if the applicant is deficient in a particular core clinical area, and the residency training that they completed out-of-state was not in that particular core area. In this case, the applicant would need to remedy the core training deficiency before proceeding to licensure in California.

WaZoBia thanks so much for the info.. yeah i'm from UE. i was thinking of just doing the whole one year of senior internship here. My original question is also requirment for applying for General Physician License, we have to complete at least for mounths of postgraduate training in General Medicine right... i was wondering if i do the whole senior internship here, will that cover for the deficiency in clinical rotation AND the 4-months-General Medicine requirement? (because i'm not sure :( if i'm going for residency training)

thanks for the replies...

i think it might be a good idea to complete the PGI or senior internship year in the philippines. not only will you be fulfilling the cali requirements and requirements for a lot of other countries (i gather from your previous posts that you might be open to the idea of going outside of the US and Phils for residency) but upon completion of senior internship you'll be board eligible in the Philippines.

on the other hand if you're sure you won't want to practice in the phils, and don't want to do the SI year, then why not consider residency outside of cali? just a thought.

to answer your question, you've got two months of internal medicine during clerkship (JI/MS4) plus two more months in SI, that's 4 months right there. but then you've also got 1 month community med in clerkship and two months community medicine in SI, so that's an additional 3 months for a total of 7 months of medicine.

hope this helps.

like i said earlier, you might wanna confirm with pat park.

all the best.

WaZoBia said:
senior internship year in the philippines fulfilling the cali requirements and requirements for a lot of other countries

on the other hand if you're sure you won't want to practice in the phils, and don't want to do the SI year, then why not consider residency outside of cali? just a thought.

to answer your question, you've got two months of internal medicine during clerkship (JI/MS4) plus two more months in SI, that's 4 months right there. but then you've also got 1 month community med in clerkship and two months community medicine in SI, so that's an additional 3 months for a total of 7 months of medicine.

but, :confused: schools in the US has 2 years of clinical rotation IN MED SCHOOL, the philippines only has one year IN MED SCHOOL.... hence, if i take the SI here, wouldn't that only fulfill the second of the two years clinicals (as the US schools require?) Which means i have to do the 4-months-license-requirement separately? :confused:

landa29x said:
but, :confused: schools in the US has 2 years of clinical rotation IN MED SCHOOL, the philippines only has one year IN MED SCHOOL.... hence, if i take the SI here, wouldn't that only fulfill the second of the two years clinicals (as the US schools require?) Which means i have to do the 4-months-license-requirement separately? :confused:

no it doesn't work that way. don't think about it as 4 or 5 months extra, think about it as 72 weeks of clinicals.
at the end of med school (UERM), you would have completed 52 weeks leaving you short 20 weeks. so that's all you have to make up for.

the peeps in cali realize that there are different curriculums out there, so they've come up with a minimum number of weeks that one is required to complete before being eligible for a license.

WaZoBia said:
no it doesn't work that way. don't think about it as 4 or 5 months extra, think about it as 72 weeks of clinicals.
at the end of med school (UERM), you would have completed 52 weeks leaving you short 20 weeks. so that's all you have to make up for.

the peeps in cali realize that there are different curriculums out there, so they've come up with a minimum number of weeks that one is required to complete before being eligible for a license.

so if i don't go for SI here, how do i do the remaining 20 weeks in cali (or anywhere in the US). what do you call that ____??

and.. what are observeships, externships?

thanks so much.. you've been a big help...

well that's why you gotta do at least some weeks as an SI, in order to complete 72 weeks. I've heard about some people being able to complete the 20 weeks in cali but i don't have any real info on this, i think it'd be best if you contacted pat park at the cali board, (i posted her email address somewhere here) her info'll be more accurate.

hope this helps