California schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umass rower

Insert clever phrase here
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my guide to med schools to get delivered, but I'm impatient and want to get my AMCAS out in the next week. So my question is, which California med schools accept a reasonable number of people from outside the state? I've already picked out a few schools that I want to go to for other reasons, but if those don't work out I'm probably going to end up paying out the @$$ for med school no matter where I go. I would prefer do it somewhere warm and sunny on the west coast. So, any suggestions?

And like I said, this isn't my main criteria for picking a school, but if other places don't work out I'd like to make my way out to that area of the country.

Members don't see this ad.

California from out of state is hella tough. If you look at the percentages really none of the state schools take a large # of people. It is very tough to get into school in California even if you are from here... I think the statistic is like 1 in 8 Californians gets to stay here for school. UCLA and UCSF take some out of state people every year... they have very high standards but it may be worth a shot depending on your application. UCSD takes even fewer so I would not bother if I were not from here. Don't bother applying to Irvine or Davis if you are not a California resident because they essentially take no one who is not a resident.

USC, Stanford, and Loma Linda are private so supposedly residency is not considered. But USC seems to take like 80%+ from in state. I think Stanford it really does not matter and 1/2 the class is out of state. I know little about Loma Linda except that it is a Christian school so I can't give you much advice on that. There are 2 DO schools, I believe, and I don't know anything about that either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is VERY hard to get into school here. If you really want the West and you have a 30 MCAT/3.5 GPA, apply to Oregon, and maybe look at Colorado. Good luck with your applications.

State schools (UC's) prefer residents (though..I have no proof of that!:rolleyes: ) so I don't know how good your chances are with those. Unles...you've got smashing numbers...and then any schools is fair game!

Try USC (private) and Loma Linda (they like 7th day Adventists..so if you belong so that sect, you'll have a better chance).

Stanford has a teeny class, but I'd give it a go anyway..you never know.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by azpremed
If you really want the West and you have a 30 MCAT/3.5 GPA, apply to Oregon, and maybe look at Colorado.

Uh, I think he's interested in the west coast because of the "warm and sunny weather," not rain and snow, respectively. :laugh:

Univ. of Miami might be a good alternative to a Calif. school good weather, and hot babes. I've heard that last year they started taking more out of state applicants.

Yeah, I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life, I've seen enough rain and snow to last me two lifetimes.

Thanks for the heads-up so far, I figured the UC schools would be tough but I wasn't sure about USC, Stanford, etc. If anyone else knows more about the private schools and their acceptance of out-of-staters, I'd love to hear it.

Here are the stats from the 2002-03 MSAR I looked up in the library:

UC Davis: 1 out-of-state in a class of 93
UC Irvine: 0 out-of-state in a class of 92
UCLA: 25 out-of-state in a class of 121
UCSD: 3 out-of-state in a class of 122
UCSF: 28 out-of-state in a class of 141
Loma Linda: 85 out-of-state in a class of 159
USC: 26 out-of-state in a class of 160
Stanford: 42 out-of-state in a class of 86

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.:)

be careful about usc; its numbers are deceiving
they welcome out of staters and want geographic diversity; but the problem is that everyone thinks they give preference to californians which is not true
and admissions officer told me that their instate numbers reflect the vast amount of instaters that apply
i'd say usc is your best bet; or ucsf/ucla if you're a genius

Originally posted by cipher
Uh, I think he's interested in the west coast because of the "warm and sunny weather," not rain and snow, respectively. :laugh:

lol... somehow i missed the warm and sunny part :) then my advice would be to stick to usc and loma linda over stanford. norcal is not the most warm and sunny of places, though having gone to school in boston i can say the climate sure beats mass any day. if you aren't planning to apply immediately my other advice would be to move to arizona, establish residency and apply to u of a. they only take in-state people but it is a great med school, hella cheap, easier to get into than california school for in-staters by far, and the weather is to die for about 8 months of the year. more sun than you could ever imagine.

Thanks for the heads-up on USC.

And as for Northern Cal. not being as nice as southern, have you been to Stanford? Even though it's relatively close to SF, as I remember when I visited there for undergrad it's in kind of a semi-desert area. I visited in late November, and it was bright sunshine and 75 degrees there the entire weekend. I'd say that's pretty nice, considering I think it had already snowed by that point in Mass.

Yeah, I have been to Stanford plenty of times and have spent a lot of time with my relatives on the Peninsula. And the last time I went to Stanford to visit my friend at the medical school it was gray, wet, and cool and it was early December. He grew up in West L.A. and thinks they have much better weather in Los Angeles in the winter months. Palo Alto definitely does get its cooler, grayer days. Though compared to the East Coast you may find even the "coldest" winter day here nothing to get excited about. And the fall in Northern California can be the warmest months (depending where you are). The Peninsula gets much more sun than San Francisco. Right now it is gray and breezy in the city but very likely it is sunny and warmer in the East and South Bay. It can get really hot in the summer. The Bay Area is full of micro-climates. It can be sunny and warm one place and 5 miles away be gray and foggy, especially in the city. So you'd probably be fine with the weather at Stanford, though my friend there would probably tell you if you really want the super-sunny, California beach weather to go to SoCal for school.

hmm.

i dont think calif. has any DO schools... .

check your sources.

Originally posted by kmnfive
hmm.

i dont think calif. has any DO schools... .

check your sources.

you need to check your sources JIGGA
there are two

Touro University in norcal and Western University in So Cal

oh sorry.

details ..details =D