Can a adjunct faculty at an affiliated hospital write a SLOE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeymedic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current FM PGY-3 looking to rematch into EM this coming match season (long story, I know there is an uphill battle, but I will ask for help with that in a different thread).

My question is concerning the SLOE.

I am a resident at Hospital A, and we are sister hospitals in the same system as Hospital B. Hospital B has a EM residency program (where I will rotate starting next week to get a SLOE from them). However, in the past 2 years, I have done a lot of electives in our ED and the medical director and assistant medical director are willing to write me a letter. Hospital B has their EM residents do a few rotations per year at our hospital. We also have a medical student clerkship. Our EM attendings do not work at hospital B, but do evaluate residents of Hospital B on their rotation and are considered adjunct faculty since each of their residents spends 3-4 months at our hospital per year.

Can the Medical Director and Assistant Medical Director at Hospital A (my hospital) write me a SLOE? Or are they not eligible? The CORD website isn't exactly clear on this since both of them are considered faculty in a residency, but they are adjunct and aren't at the main site.

Thanks!
-MM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a current FM PGY-3 looking to rematch into EM this coming match season (long story, I know there is an uphill battle, but I will ask for help with that in a different thread).

I am a resident at Hospital A, and we are sister hospitals in the same system as Hospital B. Hospital B has a EM residency program (where I will rotate starting next week to get a SLOE from them). However, in the past 2 years, I have done a lot of electives in our ED and the medical director and assistant medical director are willing to write me a letter. Hospital B has their EM residents do a few rotations per year at our hospital. We also have a medical student clerkship. Our EM attendings do not work at hospital B, but do evaluate residents of Hospital B on their rotation and are considered adjunct faculty since each of their residents spends 3-4 months at our hospital per year.

Can the Medical Director and Assistant Medical Director at Hospital A (my hospital) write me a SLOE? Or are they not eligible? The CORD website isn't exactly clear on this since both of them are considered faculty in a residency, but they are adjunct and aren't at the main site.

Thanks!
-MM

A sloe really should be from a residency program. You should get a letter from both hospitals. I only had one sloe when I applied to residency. I think the whole sloe thing makes it easier on PDs, but a lot harder on students who don’t have home EM programs.

Thanks!
-MM
You did not work with them at the main residency site, ergo they cannot compare you to rotators who did (which is part of the SLOE). They would likely need to fill out a regular LOR or the non-EM SLOE seen here https://www.cordem.org/resources/residency-management/sloe/

Reactions: 1 user