Can a DO apply to both DO and MD residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rob C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can apply to both.

DO match is before MD match, if you match DO youre knocked out of the MD match.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I noticed that about half of osteo grads opt out of the osteopathic match. Why do they not even bother to try and get a osteopathic residency? Is the cost preventitive? It seems like kind of a risk to put all their eggs into the allopathic match.

DO match happens earlier than the MD match. If you match DO you're not able to match MD at all. Basically for the most part DO residencies are good, but ACGME ( MD) has significantly more spots and different locates ( rather than 1/3 of all DO residencies being in MI). Not to mention if you want to get a fellowship, that pipeline is significantly easier having done an ACGME residency.

I noticed that about half of osteo grads opt out of the osteopathic match. Why do they not even bother to try and get a osteopathic residency? Is the cost preventitive? It seems like kind of a risk to put all their eggs into the allopathic match.

It's because if someone is really wanting a specific allopathic residency then they're not going to risk matching DO and then being dropped from the MD match. Chances are if they're competitive for the allo spots they're looking at then they'd also be competitvie at the DO spots and may be likely to match there first and thus not even have a chance at the MD ones. So they simply don't rank any DO programs, or maybe only rank 1 or 2 DO programs that they really like and wouldn't mind going to over an MD spot.

b/c a lot of applicants look at programs regardless of whether they are ACGME or AOA. There happens to be a lot more ACGME programs out there, which increases the chances of an applicant finding programs that are a good fit and are geographically preferable.

Perhaps the most important reason that over half of DO's go to ACGME programs is that there are simply not enough spots at AOA residencies for all of the DO's that graduate in one year. I don't know if that directly factors into people's decisions, but it is the way things pan out when it comes to the match.

And as someone posted in another thread, not all of us want to do an extra year of residency, especially if you'll be doing a fellowship. Entering med school I knew that I wanted to do EM, and an EMS fellowship (total of 5 years). I did not want to do 6 years of residency and fellowship (i.e. add on an extra year).

Thanks.

Wook

And as someone posted in another thread, not all of us want to do an extra year of residency, especially if you'll be doing a fellowship. Entering med school I knew that I wanted to do EM, and an EMS fellowship (total of 5 years). I did not want to do 6 years of residency and fellowship (i.e. add on an extra year).

Thanks.

Wook

Just by going DO does not mean you'll be doing an extra year in most specialties. Osteo EM programs are 4 yrs, but there are 4 yr allopathic ones as well. And as far as I know all other fields are the same length of training in both.

Unless you're talking about doing a separate osteopathic 1yr internship first, which is certainly not required in all instances.

Thanks.

Wook

Wook, what's the purpose of doing an EMS fellowship? Do you want to become a medical director or something? I would appreciate any additional information you could provide :)

what about dually accredited programs? are those held in the same regard as AOA and ACGME residencies or are they harder to get?

what about dually accredited programs? are those held in the same regard as AOA and ACGME residencies or are they harder to get?

Actually that comment just raised a question of my own that I never thought about.

If you apply for dual accredited.... do you apply AOA or ACGME? Do you match 2/14 or 3/14? I *think* dual accredited are actually ACGME residencies that have AOA full approval, but i'm basing this on word choice i've seen elsewhere, not on anyone explicitly saying so. Anyone want to elucidate this for me?

Can someone tell me how the residency match works for DO graduates that apply to both DO and MD residencies? First of all, are you allowed to apply to both or do you have to choose one or the other? Second, what happens if you match in both?

You probably could have saved yourself time, as well as the time of others by simply doing a search on this topic. This topic has been discussed numerous times.

Actually that comment just raised a question of my own that I never thought about.

If you apply for dual accredited.... do you apply AOA or ACGME? Do you match 2/14 or 3/14? I *think* dual accredited are actually ACGME residencies that have AOA full approval, but i'm basing this on word choice i've seen elsewhere, not on anyone explicitly saying so. Anyone want to elucidate this for me?

Every Dually accredited facility has a certain number guaranteed for the AOA match, and a certain number for the ACGME match, with a few spots withheld to throw either way. You apply AOA for the AOA spots and ACGME for the ACGME spots, although once you are in its the same exact program, except that the AOA spots need to have at least 1 OMM lecture/week

The AOA spots also have a few other small requirements - such as a surgery month and I think also a women's health month for IM which ACGME folks don't necessarily have to do. You have to fulfill the AOA intern year requirements in whatever program you are going through. So one of my elective months in intern year was taken by a surgery month. No big deal. Otherwise, same program, same rotations, same attendings.

Oh, and your program will likely expect you to take and pass both sets of boards when you are done with residency. Mine does - and they will pay for one of the boards to make sure of it. You also get the joy of taking two sets of intern year examinations. You do not, however, generally have to take both USMLE and COMLEX step 3 - usually just the COMLEX level 3 exam.