Can a DO/PhD eliminate SOME osteopathic discrimination at competitive ACGME residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are lots of reasons for the DO discrimination and I'm sure some of it is the poor representation of research and academia in the DO world. Given that, can a DO/PhD open doors to competitive residencies ie. ortho, plastics, ROAD that are academia inclined and are normally closed to DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you're that worried about it you should not go to a DO school

Reactions: 5 users
I think if you're that worried about it you should not go to a DO school

It's just a thought that I'm curious about. I'm not asking so that I can pad my resume to increase my match chances as I decided to do the DO/PhD from my passion for research.

Members don't see this ad :)
no... i think there is a med school filter for m.d. versus d.o. degree. if they use that then it makes no difference what other degrees you have or how high your scores are... the discrimination is intentional and systemic from what i've heard

Last edited:
no... i think there is a med school filter for m.d. versus d.o. degree. if they use that then it makes no difference what other degrees you have or how high your scores are... the discrimination is intentional and systemic from what i've heard

What exactly is 'systemic' supposed to mean? Pulmonary DO descrimination? Genitourinary DO descrimination?

I doubt all DO descrimination is the same. A few places probably do just throw away any application with DO on top. Many more of them probably have a preference for US MD (like having an MD vs a DO grads but would be open to taking a DO who is a stellar applicant
For research-heavy, academically- oriented residencies, I have a hard time believing they would take an MD with little to no research over someone with a DO and a PhD in a basic science discipline.

So OP, you probably wouldn't eliminate all DO descrimination but you would certainly have an advantage over the typical DO grad at a lot of places.

Reactions: 3 users
...So OP, you probably wouldn't eliminate all DO descrimination but you would certainly have an advantage over the typical DO grad at a lot of places.

I believe this is the most accurate assessment, but keep in mind that part of the discrimination involves perceived quality of programs that accept DOs. Some places don't like to accept DOs because they're scared of the perception that others will view their program as weaker/less competitive, so it doesn't matter what other letters you put being your name as a DO when it comes to those programs.

Also, I am not so sure that a filter for degree type (DO vs. MD) exists on ERAS (perhaps it could by some LCME vs. non-LCME filter, but that's more like a US MD vs. other filter). Someone who actually knows and has seen the filters can correct me on this. I'm not even sure you can filter by medical school, but that seems much more possible. I'm basing this off of someone I know that went to an interview only for the PD to be surprised they went to a DO school because the program doesn't take DOs.

From https://www.aamc.org/download/249322/data/pdws_ug.pdf

p. 35: You may create filter/sorts to display:
- Applicants who attend medical schools that have a special relationship with your program; or
- Applicants who were invited to interview on the same date, are a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha, and attended a medical school that has a special relationship with your program; or
- Applicants with USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores equal to or greater than 200 who were invited to interview on the same date.

p. 39: Advanced Filter/Sort is provided as a resource for those programs which need to delve deeper into certain aspects of the application (e.g. degree types of applicants).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

- Applicants who attend medical schools that have a special relationship with your program; or
- Applicants who were invited to interview on the same date, are a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha, and attended a medical school that has a special relationship with your program; or
- Applicants with USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores equal to or greater than 200 who were invited to interview on the same date.

p. 39: Advanced Filter/Sort is provided as a resource for those programs which need to delve deeper into certain aspects of the application (e.g. degree types of applicants).

Yeah, I expected the medical school one, but I'm honestly surprised about the "degree type" one. Good to know.

Haha, so apparently you can even create any type of filters you want. That's interesting. Even in the example they show in a list of filters one thats "Applicants (excluding Osteopathic)" and its marked as a "favorite" in that example. I knew the data was easily sortable, but it's funny that it's soo easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

many thanks for showing the proof...
the screenshot in the manual should lay to rest any doubt

I found it interesting that we were given that option about DO/Phd, but I really don't want to spend another 2 to 3 years in school. I'm still going to pursue research at school, just without going into the dual degree program.

Reactions: 1 users
tbh i don't think a phd is that impressive. All it shows is someone that was willing to do ABC experiments XYZ number of times to get a p < 0.05 ;).

Reactions: 1 user