can a person with autism spectrum disorder and a ged be a trauma surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

CAMM95

Hi I'm currently wanting to be a trauma surgeon, but I have a small problem I didn't finish high school due to excessive bullying so I'm getting my ged along with the fact that I have a high functioning form of autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, bipolar disorder, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia. I'm very capable of doing many things to a great ability and intellectually I'm very smart, I actually wanted to become a trauma surgeon years before the tv show the good doctor even came out. I have compassion, a ton of patience, a will to help people, I'm very eager to learn, and I'm very good at researching. I also have extremely good long term memory, but when it comes to short term it just depends like if I keep at it what ever it may be that I'm doing then ill remember it for the rest of my life. So my question is very simple out of all that I have stated above is it possible for me to follow my dream and get into med school and become a trauma surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds familiar... have you seen Good Doctor?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with evidence of the core competencies may apply to medical school.

Not everyone gets to match into their preferred specialty.

Does that mean there’s a possibility I’ll get accepted into med school, but I just might not get my preferred specialty of trauma surgery depending on on my results of my interview?

Does that mean there’s a possibility I’ll get accepted into med school, but I just might not get my preferred specialty of trauma surgery depending on on my results of my interview?

Not how it works. Med school > residency. Match decides your fate

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of fine candidates do not match into their preferred specialty.
One must not enter onto this path with the idea that only one specialty would be acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I would start with a quality undergraduate degree first. There are several schools such as Alabama that offer good scholarships to autistic candidates and have special support centers.

Hi I'm currently wanting to be a trauma surgeon, but I have a small problem I didn't finish high school due to excessive bullying so I'm getting my ged along with the fact that I have a high functioning form of autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, bipolar disorder, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia. I'm very capable of doing many things to a great ability and intellectually I'm very smart, I actually wanted to become a trauma surgeon years before the tv show the good doctor even came out. I have compassion, a ton of patience, a will to help people, I'm very eager to learn, and I'm very good at researching. I also have extremely good long term memory, but when it comes to short term it just depends like if I keep at it what ever it may be that I'm doing then ill remember it for the rest of my life. So my question is very simple out of all that I have stated above is it possible for me to follow my dream and get into med school and become a trauma surgeon.
That's an extremely long list of mental health issues. Make sure that you have them all under control, because medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students.

The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Reactions: 4 users
To expand on the above post...you do not decide your specialty until the end of medical school. Medical school is essentially the same for all physicians, regardless of specialty. During your fourth year you apply to "match" to residency programs, which are anywhere from 3-8 years depending on specialty, which will train you for your chosen specialty after you graduate from medical school. Some specialties are more competitive to get into than others, so for instance maybe the top 0.1% of medical students will match into neurosurgery, but most people will be able to match into family medicine barring those with extremely poor decision-making. So even if you get into medical school, there is no guarantee you will match into trauma surgery. If you have your heart set on a specific field, it's probably easier to get into it as a PA or NP where you can switch specialties without further training at any point in your career, so you would basically just look for jobs in that specialty.

All that being said, gen surg -> trauma isn't extremely competitive, especially if you're not super choosy about the location of your residency.

Reactions: 1 user

First get into college.
Then get into med school.
Then get into a five year surgery residency (not guaranteed even when you’re in med school)
Then do a trauma fellowship.

Oh and by the way, there is no medical show out there that accurately portrays what it’s really like. Definitely not the good doctor, the resident, house, etc. I would say the most accurate show is scrubs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First get into college.
Then get into med school.
Then get into a five year surgery residency (not guaranteed even when you’re in med school)
Then do a trauma fellowship.

Oh and by the way, there is no medical show out there that accurately portrays what it’s really like. Definitely not the good doctor, the resident, house, etc. I would say the most accurate show is scrubs.

I like the way that you are.

I really need to get that Kickstarter for my "Residents in a windowless call room bitching about things" show up and running.

Reactions: 7 users
Most of that show would involve just silent clicking as endless epic notes are being filled out.

I'm thankful that my programs residents actually liked to talk to each other. Every time I drink and think about what the show should be I refine the concept. To make it as real as possible all the characters are dealing with horrifyingly tragic situations yet are mainly focused on petty high school-like disputes with one another.