Can Anesthesiologist consider themselves as “surgeons”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Med MF

Reaction score
I know they aren’t really surgeon but I feel like Anesthesiology is a unique non-surgical speciality because they aren’t focused on the clinical setting and always in the surgery environment. Every OR can’t function with an Anesthesiologist/CRNA.

Members don't see this ad.

Anesthesiologists aren't surgeons like you said in your post so why are you asking something when you already know the answer to be opposite?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just read some of the threads op recently started and decide for yourselves how much you want to engage.

My take, young male, not sure what he wants to do, maybe trolling a little, thinks he has big ideas, yet nothing roots in reality.

Engage at your own risk.

Reactions: 5 users
Can waiters consider themselves chefs? I know they aren’t really chefs but I feel like waiter is a unique non-chef position because they aren’t focused on the kitchen setting and always in the restaurant environment. Every restaurant can’t function without a waiter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
Yes they can. Any doctor with a medical license can function as a “surgeon” or any other kind of doctor. But if you want to gain privileges at hospitals etc you at minimium will need to be board eligible for a specialty and most likely board certificatied at some point. But in certain areas non surgeons perform certain surgical procedures.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes they can. Any doctor with a medical license can function as a “surgeon” or any other kind of doctor. But if you want to gain privileges at hospitals etc you at minimium will need to be board eligible for a specialty and most likely board certificatied at some point. But in certain areas non surgeons perform certain surgical procedures.

Thank you, that was pretty much my question. Appreciate your non sarcasistic response.

I did not do a surgical residency (or anesthesiology for that matter) but I have a medical licence in "Medicine and Surgery." But I wouldn't consider myself a surgeon.

Can waiters consider themselves chefs? I know they aren’t really chefs but I feel like waiter is a unique non-chef position because they aren’t focused on the kitchen setting and always in the restaurant environment. Every restaurant can’t function with a waiter.

I received my doctorate of chef online.

I watched my mother cook for over 2000 hours.

When "seconds" matter.

Reactions: 7 users
I know they aren’t really surgeon but I feel like Anesthesiology is a unique non-surgical speciality because they aren’t focused on the clinical setting and always in the surgery environment. Every OR can’t function with an Anesthesiologist/CRNA.

You're getting ahead of yourself.

Take a step back.

Surgeons are doctors.

Are anesthesiologists doctors?

That is the better question my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
I read this and my IQ dropped 75 points. Now we are on equal intellectual footing, sir.

Reactions: 7 users
You're getting ahead of yourself.

Take a step back.

Surgeons are doctors.

Are anesthesiologists doctors?

That is the better question my friend.
Funny you mention that. I actually had a surgery professor in med school who would always tell everyone "I'm a surgeon, not a doctor," whenever they asked him anything non-surgical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to wonder if you're just a troll. It seems like you ask for angry people. Your first post on here was about wondering why your organic chemistry professor didn't "just go all the way and be a doctor..."

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

I read this and my IQ dropped 75 points. Now we are on equal intellectual footing, sir.

Then you would have loved this other post of his:

"I was thinking about all the different fields of professions in the hospital and it made me think about a universal medical degree.
For example:

4 years of medical school and no residency will grant you the ability to become a registered nurse or dental hygienist

4 years of medical school plus 2 years of residency will grant you the ability to become a PA, Physical Therapist, Pharmacist, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Doctor of Dental Surgery (unspecialized),CRNA, or nurse practitioner.

Medical school plus 3 years of residency or more you can start the current ladder of system (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, General Practioner) and so on.

I feel like granting everyone the doctor title can unite the hospital and lower the superiority ego of the hierarchy chain. Of course there will still be those in surgery feeling better than general physicians, and physicians feeling better than nurses but it’ll be more of a teamwork role simply by uniting the title. In the end of the day the patient is the main focus of all our careers."

Yes, you are very welcome. No need to thank me. I could not keep this gem to myself.

Reactions: 4 users

"I was thinking about all the different fields of professions in the hospital and it made me think about a universal medical degree.
For example:

4 years of medical school and no residency will grant you the ability to become a registered nurse or dental hygienist

4 years of medical school plus 2 years of residency will grant you the ability to become a PA, Physical Therapist, Pharmacist, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Doctor of Dental Surgery (unspecialized),CRNA, or nurse practitioner.

Medical school plus 3 years of residency or more you can start the current ladder of system (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, General Practioner) and so on.

I feel like granting everyone the doctor title can unite the hospital and lower the superiority ego of the hierarchy chain. Of course there will still be those in surgery feeling better than general physicians, and physicians feeling better than nurses but it’ll be more of a teamwork role simply by uniting the title. In the end of the day the patient is the main focus of all our careers."

Yes, you are very welcome. No need to thank me. I could not keep this gem to myself.

What in the actual F :wtf:

Reactions: 2 users
Literally laughed when read the thread title. Thank you, OP

For example:

Social Justice Warrior, aka Millennial.

They won't be last words if I know if immediately :)

No one died from an esophageal intubation.

People have when it hasn't been recognized.

Everyone is gonna goose it.

Maybe once a decade?
I don't think that was the hole he was talking about