MD Can anyone help me understand this aspect of MD course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClassicDyn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so it has been about 2 months since I started my MD course. So far everything has been going great!

The thing is, I am so interested and motivated to learn Anatomy and I find it very fascinating which is good because I plan on becoming an Orthopedic surgeon one day.

But my university does not offer cadavers. Do you think it would affect my ability into becoming an OS?

Also I am very much confused about the MD program. I have heard from some of my friends that they receive cadavers from there respective universities. Will they be learning the surgical aspect in their MD program? What if I don't any experience in that field? Is there any way I can practice on my own?

Hope you don't mind explaining in detail!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so it has been about 2 months since I started my MD course. So far everything has been going great!
So I'm guessing you're not in american med school. Not sure if what I'm going to say will transfer.

But my university does not offer cadavers. Do you think it would affect my ability into becoming an OS?

Also I am very much confused about the MD program. I have heard from some of my friends that they receive cadavers from there respective universities. Will they be learning the surgical aspect in their MD program? What if I don't any experience in that field? Is there any way I can practice on my own?

Hope you don't mind explaining in detail!

Thanks
Many american schools are shifting away from cadaveric dissection. You don't learn surgical technique on a cadaver in anatomy class. I remember hearing that you learn a little about how the tissue feels under a blade but frankly I disagree. First off, fixed tissue looks and feels totally different, and second, psychologically at least, I don't think anything prepares you for making an opening incision on a living person other than incisions on living people. In the states, residency is really where you are learning your surgical technique (orthopedic surgeons even do a year of gen surg before they really start learning ortho), with MS3 being your first real exposure to surgery at all but then again, maybe things are different where you are. You could always try shadowing orthos to at least become familiar with what the procedures look like and frankly if you showed up to the clinical years just knowing how to scrub in properly and tie the various types of knots, you'd be ahead of the game.

The thing is, I am so interested and motivated to learn Anatomy and I find it very fascinating which is good because I plan on becoming an Orthopedic surgeon one day.

if you started school 2 months ago, most likely you are non-american school.

just do well on learning and do well on step 1 = 250+ at the very least if u want to match ortho. plus get some pubs.

best of luck.