Can anyone recommend a good EKG book for beginners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Angriest Bird

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year and today we learned EKG. Wow. This topic is no cake, and our lecture notes don't explain everything.

Can any medical grown-ups recommend a nice, straight-forward, get-to-the-point, but concise EKG book for me? Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DUBIN'S..................Excellent, basic, to the point

u will be able to understand the basics of reading an EKG after 2 afternoon's of reading!

I really didn't like Dubin. I used "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need". The arbitrary fill in the blank nature of Dubin really annoyed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dubin's is an easy, yet annoying read. You'll get through the basics quickly, but will have to resort to other sources to truly get the ECG down pat. Also, some readers will object to Dubin since he's a convicted pedophile.

I hate Dubin's book and "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" should be pulled off the market for false advertising.

Garcia's The art of 12 lead interpretation is a great book. Then with the recommended book in the other thread pure practice, you can't go wrong.

Also, some readers will object to Dubin since he's a convicted pedophile.

True, but I still would have taken his car. :D

I think that Dubin is an easy way to start on EKGs. However, much past the basics you'll need better sources.

I'm reading Dubin and it's decent, though it's frustrating as heck to get through the pages of really basic nonsense he throws in.

I've started to hate dubin as well. it's not good for just quickly looking things up. you have to wade through the filler first.

our school uses the thaler book as well ('only ekg book....') it seems to be working for others

DUBIN'S..................Excellent, basic, to the point

I agree - if you read it early enough in your term/semester, Dubin is a great intro. I finished our 2nd year cardio section a few weeks ago and from reading Dubin early and building upon that knowledge over the semester, I finished feeling that I had a good grasp on reading EKGs (and my final score agreed with that assessment ;) )