Can Canadian-trained surgeons work in the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So can Canadian-trained surgeons (members of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) who are also American Board eligible -can they work in the UK (as they can in the US)? Or will they have to do BST+HST from scratch, including the MRCS and FRCS?

EDIT: According to the information on this site, not even US-trained surgeons are allowed to practise in the UK. The UK doesn't recognize the American Board of Surgery.
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_postgraduate_qualifications.asp

Did I get that right?? I mean no offense to Bangladesh, but their surgical degree (Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons) is accepted, but not the US degree?

EDIT 2: This UK gov website says one can alternatively "have a letter from a UK medical Royal College confirming that an international qualification is equivalent to its own qualification."
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/img_pgq_p1.asp

So is the American Board Certification (and the Canadian Royal College Certification) equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So can Canadian-trained surgeons (members of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) who are also American Board eligible -can they work in the UK (as they can in the US)? Or will they have to do BST+HST from scratch, including the MRCS and FRCS?

EDIT: According to the information on this site, not even US-trained surgeons are allowed to practise in the UK. The UK doesn't recognize the American Board of Surgery.
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_postgraduate_qualifications.asp

Did I get that right?? I mean no offense to Bangladesh, but their surgical degree (Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons) is accepted, but not the US degree?

EDIT 2: This UK gov website says one can alternatively "have a letter from a UK medical Royal College confirming that an international qualification is equivalent to its own qualification."
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/img_pgq_p1.asp

So is the American Board Certification (and the Canadian Royal College Certification) equivalent?

In terms of US training I think you have to be board certified, board eligible isn't enough. Then you go through a bunch of paperwork and stuff with the royal college of surgeons. I think it's reasonably complicated but doable.

In terms of US training I think you have to be board certified, board eligible isn't enough. Then you go through a bunch of paperwork and stuff with the royal college of surgeons. I think it's reasonably complicated but doable.

Canadian surgeons can sit for the American Board exam. That I am sure of. Not everyone does it because it costs $4000 and all positions in the US ask for either "American Board holders, or American Board-eligible".

But that's good news.... I'm still surprised the UK recognizes Bangladesh and Pakistan postgrad training, but not US and Canadian alternatives.

By the way I really appreciate your feedback on the UK forums on SDN. Thank you very much, you've been a tremendous help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian surgeons can sit for the American Board exam. That I am sure of. Not everyone does it because it costs $4000 and all positions in the US ask for either "American Board holders, or American Board-eligible".

But that's good news.... I'm still surprised the UK recognizes Bangladesh and Pakistan postgrad training, but not US and Canadian alternatives.

By the way I really appreciate your feedback on the UK forums on SDN. Thank you very much, you've been a tremendous help.

I am a bit surprised too. Actual med school wise a lot of places like that seem to have based their curriculums on the British system but as far as post-grad training it does seem odd as due to poorer resources etc I don't see how it can be as good. Maybe it is though, I have never been!

Maybe it's our way of getting back at America for not recognising our post-grad training either!

Wait, so can or cannot a Canadian-trained surgeon work in the UK/sit for the FRCS exam?