can I apply to multiple branches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was talking to my army recruiter for HPSP yesterday and I wondered if I could do Air force as well as army. He strongly advised against it, saying he didn't want to do all the work for an applicant that wasn't 100% committed, because the scholarship was very competitive and there were other applicants who wanted it. He said if I received the scholarship and turned it down, that slot (money) for the scholarship wouldn't be available for other applicants, and I might have taken a chance at an applicant that really needed/wanted to join. Is that true?

Also he stated all the branches were applying to the same scholarship. So i'm thinking, would my application appear twice to the committee?

So can I apply to multiple branches or is that just bad in an ethical sense?

I'm leaning towards army because I think I have better chances of getting it (they have more slots). However my brother who is an officer in the air force, and my parents who work for the army, are all telling me to go towards the air force.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that you'd be taking another applicants spot/funding (where would that money be going anyway? They only give you your first stipend and pay tuition in the summer or fall, anyway). Sounds like he/she is pressuring you to go one way or another.

Also, each branch has their own committee/board/process. To be honest the only way each branch knows your applying for another is that you'd have to go through MEPS designated under a certain branch. For example you'd go through MEPS classified as an Army officer applicant. Since you won't do MEPS again, the Air Force will need to obtain your MEPS documents from the Army's recruiting office or MEPS liason. So, they will basically both know you are also looking at the other service (with this said, don't lie). However, by the looks of it Air Force seems pretty competitive, so I would recommend applying to either Army or Navy as another option (I am going Navy myself, first and only choice for me). It is not unethical whatsoever, especially since the scholarship isn't guaranteed until after the whole poodle circus. Just be honest and bold with what you want to do. Don't let the recruiter intimidate you into not doing what is best for you and your future. Remember, no one is going to fight for your career/paycheck/livelihood like you are.

I'm currently applying to Army and Navy. During my first meeting with an Army HPSP recruiter I let her know I was considering Navy as well. She told me to let her know if I decided to apply to Navy. A week later I decided to apply for the Navy as well, so I emailed her. This is exactly what she said: "Thank you for keeping me in the loop. This does not adversely affect you..."

I can understand where your recruiter is coming from though. It is a lot of paperwork and such.

Just to let you know, I considered AF too (I actually have friends who are AF dentists). However, after hearing about the competitiveness, I just don't see how my 3.4, 21 AA would even be close to being selected. Heck, I'm pretty borderline for all branches and I've been told I'll need waivers to even be considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply with multiple services. Each service conducts its own board, so your application will not show up multiple times. If you are awarded a scholarship and turn it down, it goes to the next person on the list...it is not lost and the money wasted.

I do strongly recommended letting your recruiter know your intentions. Nothing worse than putting forth a lot of time and effort only to be told later.

I applied to all 3. I applied to the Army and Air Force first, can't remember if I told them. Navy recruiter came by and asked if I was interested. I said yes, but I applied to the Army and Air Force. He said great, I'll have them send all the info over. At the time they offered 2 year scholarships as well. Air Force and Army offered me 2 years, Navy 3 years. I took the 3 year Navy one, but only because the uniforms look better;).

I am also applying to both Army and Navy HPSP 4yr. I am currently in the middle of both applications. Would I have to go to MEPS twice, since each branch needs a physical? Of course, I am not going to lie and say I am only considering one, but I feel like going to MEPS twice in two weeks is a little redundant. How would I go about doing this? Any helps is appreciated...

Tell the recruiter you are applying for both and they can get the other recruiter a copy of your physical.

And this wouldn't affect my chances of being considered?

Recruiters aren't the ones selecting you for the scholarship and there is no where on the application that asks if you are applying with other services, so the board that selects will not know either.

Recruiters aren't the ones selecting you for the scholarship and there is no where on the application that asks if you are applying with other services, so the board that selects will not know either.

Yea I understand that. I guess what I am worried about is that if each knows I am applying to another branch, they won't be as motivated to be diligent about completing my packet for submission to the board. I guess that is just part of it though.