Can I enter NYCPM w/o BS Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The website says a minimum of 90 credits is needed to enter (i've got over 100), so can I apply for Fall '06 without a bachelors if I've completed all my pre-req's? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

littlephiLLy said:
The website says a minimum of 90 credits is needed to enter (i've got over 100), so can I apply for Fall '06 without a bachelors if I've completed all my pre-req's? thanks

get your bachelor degree

littlephiLLy said:

Contact Carlene Colston, she is our admission recruiter. I am sure she would be happy to answer your question.

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
i called admissions on monday morning and the gentleman i spoke with encouraged me to apply for the september class. I'm up in the air about doing so, trying to weigh my options.

littlephiLLy said:
i called admissions on monday morning and the gentleman i spoke with encouraged me to apply for the september class. I'm up in the air about doing so, trying to weigh my options.

Sounds good, good luck with it. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

That's a smart move, you don't need an ivy league education and a ton of debt to get in.

The smart students go to community college, spend 3k on the podiatry essentials and also save the time and effort for their pod classes.

You'll have plenty of time to spend 120k in student loans, no need to be all fancy about it,

everbody knows that others are getting in and it's really kind of funny to see the big expensive schools represented while the student next to them went to a community college! Lol!

well i have been attending my local state college for the past three years, and with scholarship my debt is nominal. i just don't see a reason to finish my major that probably won't help me in a career in medicine one day, plus a head start is always good.

littlephiLLy said:

Many schools have programs that you can get your BS at pod schools, you would need to check w/ admissions. I would say go straight to the pros.

to the OP,

what college do you attend?

It may be one of the ones that has an articulation agreement with NYCPM. If that is the case you can finish your BS degree at NYCPM during your first year.

i go to Stony Brook, but don't really have any qualms about not getting a bachelors. I do, however, would like to know about MCAt. the NYCPM website (once again), lists the mean score of 21. I'm sure its a bit higher, so what can i consider (numberwise) to be a competitive applicant? thanks alot.

littlephiLLy said:
i go to Stony Brook, but don't really have any qualms about not getting a bachelors. I do, however, would like to know about MCAt. the NYCPM website (once again), lists the mean score of 21. I'm sure its a bit higher, so what can i consider (numberwise) to be a competitive applicant? thanks alot.

well if you get a 30 they will knock down your door to get you. But really aim for the best you can and I guess about 24-26 should be pretty competitive. You would probably still get in with 21-23.

Why is NYCPM your first choice? You should really think about your reasons... if it is because you can start right away, re-think this desicision. This is far to important a life decision to decide based on that factor.

As I have said before as have others, NYCPM offers the oppurtunity to get a great clinical education. I say oppurtunity because there is so much BS and red tape to wade and break thru before you make sure you get that education.

podiatry in general was brought to my attention a few months ago, and has since lured me away from going the MD route. That said, NYCPM is in a particularly convenient locale for me, and from those I have spoken with is not a bad school. I understand that there are some issues, but as you have stated there is the opportunity.

littlephiLLy said:
podiatry in general was brought to my attention a few months ago, and has since lured me away from going the MD route. That said, NYCPM is in a particularly convenient locale for me, and from those I have spoken with is not a bad school. I understand that there are some issues, but as you have stated there is the opportunity.

I used to be one of those people that would stand up for my school no matter what, because I am getting a degree from there and I would not want to do anything to deminish what my degree represents. However, there is enough BS that goes on with the administration that it is not worth it to put up with all the BS for the potential for a great education. If you can manage to give up the convenient location I would.

It is easier to learn in an environment were others want to learn as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas, you seem knowledgable about NYCPM and you may be able to help me out here. how vast are the surgical residencies in and around NYC, and how readily can they be attained by a graduate of NYCPM?

littlephiLLy said:
krabmas, you seem knowledgable about NYCPM and you may be able to help me out here. how vast are the surgical residencies in and around NYC, and how readily can they be attained by a graduate of NYCPM?

all residencies will be surgical by the time you graduate.

most NY residencies are filled by NY students.

krabmas said:
I used to be one of those people that would stand up for my school no matter what, because I am getting a degree from there and I would not want to do anything to deminish what my degree represents. However, there is enough BS that goes on with the administration that it is not worth it to put up with all the BS for the potential for a great education. If you can manage to give up the convenient location I would.

It is easier to learn in an environment were others want to learn as well.

Wow, an honest opinion.... One day I hope I can speak so frankly about my program.... I use to cheer for my school too....

But then I realized that they really don't give a f if I know the information I'm paying for or not..... I'm just part of their miniature empire building for four years....

The following drama is a fictional parody about my podiatry school.

Peasant, thinking to himself....

"I have honored them as kings/princes/dwarfs and jesters on their domain.... I've played their game to get by because I am only a peasant, paying for their now scuttled ship and hoping that it floats long enough to bail out with my degree in hand....."

"I must go now!"

A cry rang out from the ensuing chaos, "man overboard!"

"Is that a podiatry degree I see clutched in this hand????" Asked the king....

"Jester,"

"yes king,"

"Are these waters shark infested?

"Haha, Yes, your noble Excellency, very much so, that wretch won't last 15 minutes in these waters!"

"Round that shark-bait-limey up and make him walk the plank without that degree!" Shouted the king!

Dwarf: Your heinous, shouldn't the men be tasked with repairing the badly damaged hull instead? We've hit a shoal!"

"How dash you question my authority! Behead this wretched man and get that diploma back at all costs!!" Screamed the vengeful king!

"Bon Voyage! My dear king and captain! Parting is such sweet sorrow!" Said the poor peasant.

Learn from others or learn on your own. but eventually many things are learned one way or another.

Choose your "plank" wisely!

anyone kno if community college credits are good enuf for podiatry?

There are drugs out there to help people like you....seek them fast! you have some major issues man!

whiskers said:
Wow, an honest opinion.... One day I hope I can speak so frankly about my program.... I use to cheer for my school too....

But then I realized that they really don't give a f if I know the information I'm paying for or not..... I'm just part of their miniature empire building for four years....

"I have honored them as kings/princes/dwarfs and jesters on their domain.... I've played their game to get by because I am only a peasant, paying for their now scuttled ship and hoping that it floats long enough to bail out with my degree in hand....."

"I must go now!"

"Jester,"

"yes king,"

"Haha, Yes, your noble Excellency, very much so, that wretch won't last 15 minutes in these waters!"

"Round that shark-bait-limey up and make him walk the plank without that degree!" Shouted the king!

Dwarf: Your heinous, shouldn't the men be tasked with repairing the badly damaged hull instead? We've hit a shoal!"

"How dash you question my authority! Behead this wretched man and get that diploma back at all costs!!" Screamed the vengeful king!

"Bon Voyage! My dear king and captain! Parting is such sweet sorrow!" Said the poor peasant.

Learn from others or learn on your own. but eventually many things are learned one way or another.

whiskers said:

"I must go now!"

"Jester,"

"yes king,"

Whiskers, have you been drinking?

littlephiLLy said:
well i have been attending my local state college for the past three years, and with scholarship my debt is nominal. i just don't see a reason to finish my major that probably won't help me in a career in medicine one day, plus a head start is always good.

I don't think starting pod school early is always the best thing to do. I would recommend finishing your degree as well as taking some upper level life-sciences courses ( like microbiology, physiology, anatomy) before starting pod school. You will find life easier, do better, and learn more effectively if you have the requisite background. I wish I had done this.

Does anyone know the size of the class at NYCPM?

bkpa2med said:
Does anyone know the size of the class at NYCPM?

2006 - 52-56 (about)
2007 - 71
2008 - 80some odd
2009 - 80 some odd as well
2010 - at least 25 because of the January class and it will most likely be in the 80-90 range.

krabmas,

thanks for the input. how's everything going over at nycpm?

application and transcripts sent out, just waiting for mcat next weekend.