Can I get in with a sGPA of 2.9?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthstudent69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
But my cGPA is 3.25. Is there a chance I can get in?

Members don't see this ad.

You should get some interviews with good DAT scores!

In most cases, it's pretty doubtful, those are both pretty low. The rest of your application would have to be stellar. How does everything else look?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2.9 science and 3.3 overall, 19 DAT, got me one interview that I'm waiting to hear from.

Chance? Yes. Good chance? No.

You really need to crush the DAT and even if you do it will be a stretch. Sometimes a low GPA can really close some doors for certain schools. I would apply really broadly if you want to maximize your chances.

I just got in with stats pretty similar to yours! Do well on your DAT!

A 2.9 sGPA is very low. You'll need at least a 22+ for your AA and TS, and even though I don't know if it would be enough to offset the low sGPA. Your GPA is a reflection of your study habits over years, while the DAT tests your ability to learn/recall material over the course of a few weeks or months. Do you have any ECs? How about shadowing? Volunteering?

A 2.9 sGPA is very low. You'll need at least a 22+ for your AA and TS, and even though I don't know if it would be enough to offset the low sGPA. Your GPA is a reflection of your study habits over years, while the DAT tests your ability to learn/recall material over the course of a few weeks or months. Do you have any ECs? How about shadowing? Volunteering?
I have been doing research for about a year now, so I have a lot of hours in that. I've been involved in a humanitarian group called LiNK for a year too, serving as different positions on the leadership board. Shadowing I'm going to try to start asap, hopefully get at least 50 hours by when I apply. I did a public health internship in the summer which was sponsored by the Center of Disease Control and John Hopkins. Volunteering not so much...

I was pretttty much in the exact same boat as you.
2.95ish sGPA and 3.25oGPA when I applied in June.

I did only get one interview, but that turned into an acceptance at my state school.

So no, not impossible.

But do ace your DAT and make sure you have a good deal of volunteering and shadowing!

get a really good DAT score and then apply to places like NYU. Private schools can be less competitive due to the price.

It's silly to estimate someone's acceptance chance solely off of cGPA and sGPA. Some of these factors would help us chance you better: your state of residence, general GPA trend, DAT scores, volunteering, extracurriculars, professional experience, undergraduate school, and the almighty URM status.

Seeing that the average GPA for dental school is right around 3.5, you fall quite below average in that category.
But if you are an URM you would have a GOOD chance at Howard and meharry and probably some other schools, so it just depends.