Can I get into any med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annieliang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is 3.9+ but my MCAT is only 28P (verb:6, bio:9, phys:13). Do I have hope to get into medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

The 6 in the verbal will destroy you. Recommend you retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is 3.9+ but my MCAT is only 28P (verb:6, bio:9, phys:13). Do I have hope to get into medical schools?

I rec taking the MCAT again, try to even out your scores a bit and get that verbal to at least an 8 :) good job on physics though, impressed!!!!

i agree with the above...the VR score is probably too low for a US MD acceptance.

is English your second language? how were your practice test scores?

agree with retaking MCAT after you study and practice more to boost up your verbal and then have all ur sections closer together. Don't retake until realistic practice tests show that you have made a dramatic improvement in verbal.

what about other things that matter? ECs and LORs etc?

I had a 7 in my VR..granted not 6 but still low. Overall=28 as well. I was also told not to apply to MD schools by many student doctor forum posters. I was told I "have to retake" the MCAT in order to get in. However, I knew I was strong in other aspects so I decided not to listen to all the pessimism (and trust me there is a lot out there).

Heres my layout.

I received 16 interviews (all MD's).
NYU
Boston University
Yale
University of Florida
University of Vermont
FIU
WVU
The University of Miami School of Medicine- Miami Campus
The University of Miami School of Medicine- Boca Campus
Drexel
University of Arkansas
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Indiana University
New York Medical College
University of Central Florida COM
Florida State University

I received interviews at top 10 schools...---> even with the 7.

My acceptances...
NYU
BU
U of Vermont
U of Miami
U of Florida
and I started to withdraw applications after this... so there was potential for more.

If there is one thing I have learned from reading the posts on the SDN network, it's not to listen to everyone on here. Most people say things based on their opinions and not on actual experience. The opinions are usually biased and sophomoric, leading to a false view. I also feel many people are jealous and envious on here, which leads to all the negativity they spew out. Block them out, and continue to strive and you can achieve your goals, just as I did.

Finally, I would like to end off with a side note. Not only is one acceptance possible with an 8 or lower in a section.. but multiple acceptances are possible. If you work hard enough and are able to compensate for apparent weaknesses, then don't sell your self out short and apply!

Good luck~!

I had a 7 in my VR..granted not 6 but still low. Overall=28 as well. I was also told not to apply to MD schools by many student doctor forum posters. I was told I "have to retake" the MCAT in order to get in. However, I knew I was strong in other aspects so I decided not to listen to all the pessimism (and trust me there is a lot out there).

Heres my layout.

NYU
Boston University
Yale
University of Florida
University of Vermont
FIU
WVU
Drexel
University of Arkansas
Indiana University
New York Medical College
Florida State University

My acceptances...
NYU
BU
U of Vermont
U of Miami
U of Florida
and I started to withdraw applications after this... so there was potential for more.

If there is one thing I have learned from reading the posts on the SDN network, it's not to listen to everyone on here. Most people say things based on their opinions and not on actual experience. The opinions are usually biased and sophomoric, leading to a false view. I also feel many people are jealous and envious on here, which leads to all the negativity they spew out. Block them out, and continue to strive and you can achieve your goals, just as I did.

Finally, I would like to end off with a side note. Not only is one acceptance possible with an 8 or lower in a section.. but multiple acceptances are possible. If you work hard enough and are able to compensate for apparent weaknesses, then don't sell your self out short and apply!

Good luck~!

Wow that is incredible. I wish i could do that well. What is your secret? Can you share you gpa and EC's and such? thats a lot of interviews! You must be a very amazing person. Do you know what part of ur application they really liked or if anything was extraordinarily special? Please share your advice.

Heres my layout.

NYU
Boston University
Yale
University of Florida
University of Vermont
FIU
WVU
Drexel
University of Arkansas
Indiana University
New York Medical College
Florida State University

My acceptances...
NYU
BU
U of Vermont
U of Miami
U of Florida

Good luck~!
You're obviously leaving something very important out. Yale, and NYU very rarely accept people with sub-30 MCAT. Good ECs alone did not get you in.

You're obviously leaving something very important out. Yale, and NYU very rarely accept people with sub-30 MCAT. Good ECs alone did not get you in.

This.

There is something you aren't telling us.

I do agree with you mikethomp in the sense that you should take a lot of SDN advice (including your story) with a healthy grain of salt, but unfortunately, your story seems almost too good to be true. What were your EC's? Clearly you had some unusual, extenuating circumstance so what was it?

I agree with mikethomp - though the advice on SDN is valuable, you need to follow your gut sometimes. I posted my story sometime earlier this year, and recieved sort of the same downer. I had a 7 on my MCAT verbal, but I went ahead and applied anyway, and I currently have 2 interviews (SUNY Upstate and NJMS). Granted, these are not acceptances, but I've gotten this far, and I have faith that God will get me the rest of the way. So if you know medicine is what you really want to do, go ahead and apply, at least to a couple. In any case, if you do that, you won't have to deal with "What ifs" this time next year when everyone is heading off to med school and you are starting the process again, you know?

Dude... I attend NYU now. My EC's were good and I had a great GPA.

GPA= 3.91 Science
Total= 3.88

I had research, shadowing, community service... the same as many other applicants. I wrote great essays and I didn't sell myself out short by listening to insipid fools like you who don't know jack about the application process. I used numbers as my strategy... I applied to many many schools knowing that my MCAT score wasn't the greatest. I got interviews that reflected that since I only received 16 out of 32. Which is the usual percent break down (50%) in terms of number of schools applied and interviews with someone with my MCAT score and GPA.

On a side note, I also interviewed extremely well by preparing way in advance for all types of questions that they could throw at me. There's nothing special about me except I was positive and I took the time out of my life to work hard on the application process.

GPA= 3.91 Science
Total= 3.88

I had research, shadowing, community service... the same as many other applicants. I wrote great essays and I didn't sell myself out short by listening to insipid fools like you who don't know jack about the application process. I used numbers as my strategy... I applied to many many schools knowing that my MCAT score wasn't the greatest. I got interviews that reflected that since I only received 16 out of 32. Which is the usual percent break down (50%) in terms of number of schools applied and interviews with someone with my MCAT score and GPA.

On a side note, I also interviewed extremely well by preparing way in advance for all types of questions that they could throw at me. There's nothing special about me except I was positive and I took the time out of my life to work hard on the application process.

Please tell me how to get 16 interviews! I also applied to 32 schools this year, i hope i get into at least ONE medical school T_T i also have research, shadowing, and community service. I hope my ps was good enough. Please advise me and let me in on the secret to getting into so many med schools. My cGPA is 3.22 and sGPA is 2.97 >.< How did you set yourself apart from all the other applicants with good gpa's and mcat's and EC's? How did you prepare for interviews? Are you extremely good looking? (i'm afraid i'm not) Please refer to my "what are my chances?" post here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=760633

Members don't see this ad :)

Heres my layout.

NYU
Boston University
Yale
University of Florida
University of Vermont
FIU
WVU
Drexel
University of Arkansas
Indiana University
New York Medical College
Florida State University

My acceptances...
NYU
BU
U of Vermont
U of Miami
U of Florida

Good luck~!

Thank you for your encouragements. wow, NYU is my first choice school

...If there is one thing I have learned from reading the posts on the SDN network, it's not to listen to everyone on here. Most people say things based on their opinions and not on actual experience. The opinions are usually biased and sophomoric, leading to a false view...

Finally, I would like to end off with a side note. Not only is one acceptance possible with an 8 or lower in a section.. but multiple acceptances are possible.

I would say that most of the info and opinion that's handed out on here is precisely as biased and anecdotal as your n=1 experiment in applying with a low VR score. Congrats on your NYU acceptance, but your appeal to "experience" and then basing your SDN-worldview on your own, singular experience, and apparently little else, is silly. Some would even say sophomoric. Now please go tell StupidCal the "secret" of your acceptance before their head explodes. The rest of us "insipid fools" are dying to know. Your positivity so far is absolutely infectious!

GPA= 3.91 Science
Total= 3.88

u-mad.jpg

I applied to many many schools knowing that my MCAT score wasn't the greatest. I got interviews that reflected that since I only received 16 out of 32.

Only 16 out of 32? :smack:

I think you would be able to get into a DO school.. not sure about MD school because of your verbal score. I would retake the MCAT and try to do better in verbal=]

I have a friend who matriculated to USC (southern california) with a gpa lower than yours and an MCAT (14P, 13B, 6V). It's possible. He applied around the same time you did. You're fine. Apply. That 6 verbal cutoff obviously doesn't apply everywhere.

I would say that most of the info and opinion that's handed out on here is precisely as biased and anecdotal as your n=1 experiment in applying with a low VR score. Congrats on your NYU acceptance, but your appeal to "experience" and then basing your SDN-worldview on your own, singular experience, and apparently little else, is silly. Some would even say sophomoric. Now please go tell StupidCal the "secret" of your acceptance before their head explodes. The rest of us "insipid fools" are dying to know. Your positivity so far is absolutely infectious!

I have not been on here for awhile now, but I would like to update on my status. I will be graduating soon and applying for residency. Although extremely tedious and mind draining, medical school is not a measure of intelligence, but of how hard-working you are. I came in thinking my intelligence was subpar due to my MCAT score... but I realized my efforts completely compensated for that. I even outscored many 35+ colleagues in my class on multiple exams including the Boards. Also, for those who feel test taking skills are your weakness... trust me you get better with all the practice. Just like anything else in life, you get out what you put in.

Now back to the original quote by Pons... I guess your more thickheaded than the rest - THERE WAS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT ME. I don't think I can be more clearer than that. I worked hard and my efforts payed off. Let me give you just a glimpse of my life during the application process. For about 5 months straight, I woke up at 8am, wrote essays, called schools, and revised applications until 8-9pm at night... sometimes even later. I did this for 7 days a week! I did not take the process lightly, and I worked at it as if it were a true job.

If others out there have been able to achieve acceptances with suboptimal scores.. please reply so that folks like Pons can yield statistical significance.. since he would like more than n=1.

I took the MCAT cold and still got a 8 on verbal. study more i guess. but 3.9+ gpa but only 29 mcat? is such a thing possible??

I took the MCAT cold and still got a 8 on verbal. study more i guess. but 3.9+ gpa but only 29 mcat? is such a thing possible??

that was my initial thought too. but then OP did score 9 and 13 in the sciences so if he/she avoided English/writing intensive classes, a high GPA is doable. It's those with uber high GPA and mediocre MCAT scores all across that I question (and sorta wish I went to that school).

OP, I highly recommend a retake. What's 2 extra months studying for a test? If you can score even an 8 on verbal this time, you open up so many doors for yourself and the rest of your application cycle will go much smoother. You can aim much higher.You don't have to keep wondering if you've been screened out or not.Yes, of course there will be people who have gotten into schools with a low verbal score (but a 6.... ??? hmm...), but that doesn't mean you should gamble and hope you will have the same luck.

I did quite poorly on the MCAT but still decided to go ahead and apply without a retake. I got in and performed well in med school. In my opinion any MCAT above or equal to 27 is worth an attempt at applying.

I got 6 MD interviews and 4 MD acceptances so far with a 7 on the VR. I wouldn't listen to downers but honestly Cat and some others are correct a 6 on the VR will be extremely harsh on your application plus i'm positive you can do better on the BS. I would suggest a retake unless you have some extra money to apply then might as well!