This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted848155

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I dumb-goofed this semester. I am a sophomore in college and currently have a 3.3 GPA. This semester, I took a light course load for several reasons. I pledged into a professional pre-health fraternity, my mom got diagnosed with Hepatitis B, my father was diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimers, my close friend from home passed away from cancer, I was in a 5 year relationship and just went through a break up, and I was so socially lonely that I didn't manage my time between my social and academic life. I am receiving an F in Molecular Genetics (4 credit class). My professor is not understanding which I suppose I understand, it's his job to teach it's my job to study and execute my knowledge. I want to get into dental school. I am most likely receiving a C or C+ in Orgo 2 (4 credit class). An A in a 2-credit classes, my internship class and an A- in my 2 credit Orgo lab. I have 2 internships ready for me next semester, one being a dental one. I am also a resident assistant, as well as Judicial Board representative for my Fraternity. I am also taking summer classes such as Physics 1 and then a few other classes for my Health and Wellness minor which at least the minor are easy As. I can probably fit Molecular Genetics in my senior year to retake it but I am not confident that I will Ace it. It was a very difficult class that is fast paced, no textbook use, and only grades are out of 4 exams. If I miraculously receive a D in the class I can retake it, but the D is added into my GPA not my new grade. If I do, which is my realistic scenario, I will be able to retake it and the F and new grade will be added into my GPA. At the moment I am concerned that a) will this prevent me from getting into dental school as my GPA is so low at the moment b) even if I do retake it I know it looks promising if I Ace it but I assure you I am not capable of acing that class. Do my extra curricular and involvement make up for my terrible grades? What should I do?

Dental students, Dental schools please advise. I am also too discouraged to tell my parents because they hear I got a Dental internship and think I really am doing so well, but I am not at all.
 
Hello,

I dumb-goofed this semester. I am a sophomore in college and currently have a 3.3 GPA. This semester, I took a light course load for several reasons. I pledged into a professional pre-health fraternity, my mom got diagnosed with Hepatitis B, my father was diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimers, my close friend from home passed away from cancer, I was in a 5 year relationship and just went through a break up, and I was so socially lonely that I didn't manage my time between my social and academic life. I am receiving an F in Molecular Genetics (4 credit class). My professor is not understanding which I suppose I understand, it's his job to teach it's my job to study and execute my knowledge. I want to get into dental school. I am most likely receiving a C or C+ in Orgo 2 (4 credit class). An A in a 2-credit classes, my internship class and an A- in my 2 credit Orgo lab. I have 2 internships ready for me next semester, one being a dental one. I am also a resident assistant, as well as Judicial Board representative for my Fraternity. I am also taking summer classes such as Physics 1 and then a few other classes for my Health and Wellness minor which at least the minor are easy As. I can probably fit Molecular Genetics in my senior year to retake it but I am not confident that I will Ace it. It was a very difficult class that is fast paced, no textbook use, and only grades are out of 4 exams. If I miraculously receive a D in the class I can retake it, but the D is added into my GPA not my new grade. If I do, which is my realistic scenario, I will be able to retake it and the F and new grade will be added into my GPA. At the moment I am concerned that a) will this prevent me from getting into dental school as my GPA is so low at the moment b) even if I do retake it I know it looks promising if I Ace it but I assure you I am not capable of acing that class. Do my extra curricular and involvement make up for my terrible grades? What should I do?

Dental students, Dental schools please advise. I am also too discouraged to tell my parents because they hear I got a Dental internship and think I really am doing so well, but I am not at all.
You have posted your question in the pre-medicine forum. As your question deals with getting into dental school, you might want to look for the Pre-Dental forum further down on the list.