This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

far109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biology Major. I am planning on taking the OATS soon. I have a 3.53 overall GPA and 3.2 Science GPA. I did a lot of shadowing this year.

My weak point is that I have 3 C's in science classes (mistakes as a freshman and sophomore) but turned things around junior and senior year.

Based on these exact stats can anyone tell me if I can get into SUNY Optometry? I really really really want to become an optometrist and will have no problem explaining my knowledge and passion for the profession! SUNY is my first choice because I want to stay in NYC.

Can I get into any optometry schools at all? Did anyone get in with the same stats as me? Please describe what your process was like and what your interview was like if you ever got an interview from Suny with my kind of grades. If anyone got in with C's in sciences please let me know. It will help me out so much and hopefully others. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
here's a pretty good place to start: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/class-of-2020-status.1153045/
I suggest messaging the people who applied to SUNY and heard back, who have similar stats as you

One thing not working in your favor is why you're applying in the middle of the cycle as opposed to the beginning. Because most schools, including SUNY, work based on rolling admissions, it's always always easier to get in the earlier you apply.

here's a pretty good place to start: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/class-of-2020-status.1153045/
I suggest messaging the people who applied to SUNY and heard back, who have similar stats as you

One thing not working in your favor is why you're applying in the middle of the cycle as opposed to the beginning. Because most schools, including SUNY, work based on rolling admissions, it's always always easier to get in the earlier you apply.

Thanks! I am actually planning on applying at the beginning of the cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am actually planning on applying at the beginning of the cycle in 2016. Going to be taking a gap year.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need to do well on the OAT (340s+) with a low science gpa. I would also take some advaced course work in the sciences such as a histology, upper micro or genetics course, a more advanced anatomy etc. Do well in those with a good OAT and you will show that you are a better student now and Fr/Soph year was simply inexperience.

I am a Biology Major. I am planning on taking the OATS soon (taking a course right now to prep). I have a 3.53 overall GPA and 3.01 Science GPA and 4.0 Math GPA. I did a lot of shadowing this year. I shadowed 4 optometrists and an opthamologist. Also I volunteered at an eye hospital. I was also involved in 2 clubs during college and had a leadership position in one of them. I also worked part time throughout college as a tutor.

My weak point is that I have 3 C's in science classes (mistakes as a freshman and sophomore) but turned things around junior and senior year. Everything else in my science classes is an equal mix of A's and B's. All of my other non-science classes (i.e psych, English, History) are A's.

Based on these exact stats can anyone tell me if I can get into SUNY Optometry? I really really really want to become an optometrist and will have no problem explaining my knowledge and passion for the profession! SUNY is my first choice because I want to stay in NYC.

Can I get into any optometry schools at all? Did anyone get in with the same stats as me? Please describe what your process was like and what your interview was like if you ever got an interview from Suny with my kind of grades. If anyone got in with C's in sciences please let me know. It will help me out so much and hopefully others. Thanks in advance!

Which course are you taking right now to prep for OAT?

Just a heads up, I did not do great on the OATs (310 overall, 300 TS) and did not get invited for an interview. They said to retake the OAT and they would hold my application due to some other positive things on it, even though my science GPA is not that high (>3.0). I was still accepted to another good school, and still awaiting a decision on another, both of which I'd love to attend. It seems as though SUNY may have a strict cut off for OAT scores, so if you do well I think you'll be fine and at least get an interview. You are also kind of late in the process, but a lot of current students at other schools I talked to didn't interview until February/March.

My GPA is 3.93.
Oat is 360/350.
But I have one W grade. Do you think I have a chance to get in SUNY optometry?

suny reccomended 300 hours of studying and a minimm 350 score.
they said anything under 310 isnt acceptable

So you most likely won't be accepted if your AA is lower than a 350??
nah i wouldnt necessarily say that.
at their open house/admission day they said that you should aim for around a 350 as that is their average acceptance. they also said that it would be very unlikely to be accepted with anything less than a 310 (i think hinting that you should retake?) but then again its very situational depending also on GPA and experience and interview im sure.
but if your lacking in your GPA, i would say that 350+ is strongly encouraged and i would definitely aim higher

Hi guys,

I kind of need some advice. I am currently going to my fourth year at the University of Tornto Scarborough and hoping to get into optometry school some day.
Right now I am studying for the OAT, using the big Kaplan book, the oat destroyer and chad videos. I have also read a lot of experiences people had with the OAT to get a better idea on how to study and what to expect. My GPA is not extremely great for optometry school (lower side of the 2.0s). But I have fourth year to bring it up as high as possible (taking a bunch of electives to help). Therefore I am trying to aim really high for the oat (350 or higher). As for experience, I have some shadowing experience with two optometrists, I currently work as a lab technician at lens crafters, apart of many club on campus, including the president of the pre-optometry club, plus some research experience. I just wanted some advice on how to improve my application to be more competitive for optometry schools in the states. Also any tips on how to score high on the oat will be helpful. Thank you :)

Just a heads up, I did not do great on the OATs (310 overall, 300 TS) and did not get invited for an interview. They said to retake the OAT and they would hold my application due to some other positive things on it, even though my science GPA is not that high (>3.0). I was still accepted to another good school, and still awaiting a decision on another, both of which I'd love to attend. It seems as though SUNY may have a strict cut off for OAT scores, so if you do well I think you'll be fine and at least get an interview. You are also kind of late in the process, but a lot of current students at other schools I talked to didn't interview until February/March.
If you can share some more detail on profile would be great. If some one have OptomCas SGPA >3.2 with grade replacement( without grade replacement it is 2.9) with 340 OAT would that help get accepted.

You definitely need to do well on the OAT (340s+) with a low science gpa. I would also take some advaced course work in the sciences such as a histology, upper micro or genetics course, a more advanced anatomy etc. Do well in those with a good OAT and you will show that you are a better student now and Fr/Soph year was simply inexperience.

Hi. I am trying to get into suny optometry but I want to know opinions based on what I have. When I was in undergrad I messed up big time so I just want some opinions on what I should do and where I should go.

I have a 3.15 overall undergrad gpa
I have taken these classes where I have gotten C+'s and below

Genetics
Microbiology
Chemistry 1 & 2
Orgo 1 & 2
Vertebrae Physiology

But I have retaken all of them at the same school in which I got B+'s and A's.

In this undergrad time I also have taken

Evolution B+
Intro to Psychology A
Cancer Cell Biology B

With the other prerequistes (english etc) everything is A's and A-'s

I did some post bacc courses in nursing where my gpa was 3.32

I also have a masters degree in health care administration where my gpa is a 4.0.

I have been working as a healthcare administrator for two years at Northwell Health.

I have yet to do the OAT but I want to know what I need to get in.

If not if anyone can shoot any ideas on what I CAN get into

such as podiatry, dentistry, PT, OT, PhD, MD, DO, etc.

I really appreciate your help.

Hi. I am trying to get into suny optometry but I want to know opinions based on what I have. When I was in undergrad I messed up big time so I just want some opinions on what I should do and where I should go.

I have a 3.15 overall undergrad gpa
I have taken these classes where I have gotten C+'s and below

Genetics
Microbiology
Chemistry 1 & 2
Orgo 1 & 2
Vertebrae Physiology

But I have retaken all of them at the same school in which I got B+'s and A's.

In this undergrad time I also have taken

Evolution B+
Intro to Psychology A
Cancer Cell Biology B

I did some post bacc courses in nursing where my gpa was 3.32

I also have a masters degree in health care administration where my gpa is a 4.0.

such as podiatry, dentistry, PT, OT, PhD, MD, DO, etc.

I really appreciate your help.

You need to shadow and figure out what you like instead of shot gunning your chances for every healthcare field you see.

Your stats are not competitive enough for MD/DO or Dentistry.
A PhD is possible but you need to narrow down what field you like and be willing to do a research thesis/write papers/write grants.
Your Masters does not count for much, neither does your post-bac in nursing.
They are not science intensive or prove to programs you can do well with a heavy science course load.

Between Podiatry/ Optometry, it will depend on how well you do on the MCAT/OAT. OAT is more straightforward and does not rely on taking info from a huge paragraph with 2nd/3rd order questions and double negatives. MCAT tries to trick you.

Your undergrad retake grades look very good.
Why not continue on an RN/FNP track?

Pick a profession you like. Don't do it just for the title. You may get in, but you will not finish.

Reactions: 1 users