Medical Can I list this on my application and does this count as clinical experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I joined an EMT squad recently, but I won't be certified until the end of this year. Can I still list the time spent volunteering with the squad between now and then? I'll be riding the ambulance and doing most things in terms of patient care, but I won't be certified. My second question is, does working as a Clinical Care Tech provide valuable clinical experience? And is it a red flag if I only work this job for a summer?
Can I still list the time spent volunteering with the squad between now and then?
Yes
My second question is, does working as a Clinical Care Tech provide valuable clinical experience?
Depends on the specifics of the job. I will tell you in my experience working as a critical care tech that it did not help with anything, so I did gain some insights when I was an ER tech.

This isn't much different than if you were doing a multitude of other jobs though, and it at least allows you to observe on occasion the various professions as they come and go - MD/DO, PA/NP, nurses, therapists, etc and at least allows for a slightly more informed decision which is beneficial.
And is it a red flag if I only work this job for a summer?
Not necessarily. Its generally understood that some people work summer jobs and then return to school.

Members don't see this ad.

Bottom line, the role you play matters more than the job title. If you’re doing clinical work, then it counts as clinical.

everyone knows these jobs are just to check boxes. So it’s not a red flag if you did a little here, a little there, etc.

I would for sure list the time you volunteered with the squad because you were actively doing that activity (even though you weren't certified). You are not lying about doing the activity.

With these other activities, if you are interacting with patients, it is likely clinical. If not, then non-clinical. This is a case-by-case thing. Did you interact with patients during your clinical care tech position?

Status
Not open for further replies.