Can I say two specialties for this Q: Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siloaddict

Reaction score
I'm interested in Geriatrics, so it would technically be under IM. However, I think I would also enjoy FM.

Can I write both FM and IM or would that be not ideal since it says "specialty" and not "specialties?"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in Geriatrics, so it would technically be under IM. However, I think I would also enjoy FM.

Can I write both FM and IM or would that be not ideal since it says "specialty" and not "specialties?"
Geriatrics has fellowships from both FM and IM. Just say geriatrics if that is what you’re currently interested in you don’t need to specify the route to get there

Reactions: 1 users
Geriatrics has fellowships from both FM and IM. Just say geriatrics if that is what you’re currently interested in you don’t need to specify the route to get there
I saw that too, but quite frankly I'm interested in IM too since there are so many options.

Would I be pigeonholing myself if I say Geri?

I saw that too, but quite frankly I'm interested in IM too since there are so many options.

Would I be pigeonholing myself if I say Geri?
I’m not an adcom but I can almost certainly guarantee:

1) The medical school does really not care what you want to go into, rather, insight into your motivations for it and if they demonstrate the qualities they’re looking for

2) You will change your mind about what you want to do multiple times during medical school

3) There is no possible way for a medical school to dictate that you must apply to residency program and fellowships that match you secondary essay 4 years prior